1.4K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 2.9K     2 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

So the PC are basically screwed...

Horvath vs. Wynne

Not sure why people are saying that. Still lots of time. And Brown wasn't highly visible, imo at least. Four months before an election and he was seldom in the news. And who knows, maybe it's a blessing in disguise for the PCs. Perhaps he wasn't great at public speaking and would've been terrible in debates. Or they have someone else that can be more visible, vocal, and vivacious.

Not sure why people are saying that. Still lots of time. And Brown wasn't highly visible, imo at least. Four months before an election and he was seldom in the news. And who knows, maybe it's a blessing in disguise for the PCs. Perhaps he wasn't great at public speaking and would've been terrible in debates. Or they have someone else that can be more visible, vocal, and vivacious.

And there has to be what, 20-30 safe PC seats. And Wynne is still highly unpopular.

There is still tons of time for the PCs to salvage the election.

I winder if Trudeau will make a statement now that one of his cabinet minister Kent Hehr has been accused of sexual harassment.

I winder if Trudeau will make a statement now that one of his cabinet minister Kent Hehr has been accused of sexual harassment.

He needs to be kicked out of caucus and quit as an MP.

On topic: The PC's need to pick a leader with as few connections to Brown as possible, which will prove difficult. You can't just get Bob the backbencher to run for Premier. It is basically an unwinnable situation at this point.

Last edited:
PC's still have a chance IMO, if they choose the right leader and capitalize on this free publicity. Don't count them out. I think Wynne is in a better position now then she was yesterday. We really don't know how things will play out, it will be interesting to watch.

Although this resignation is relevant to a discussion about allegations related to politicians and sexual harassment, it isn't relevant to Kathleen Wynne's chances for winning re-election.

BREAKING | Sport and Disabilities Minister@kenthehrhas resigned from cabinet pending the outcome of an investigation into misconduct allegations.
It wont be reported as such, but Trudeau gave him an ultimatum: Either you step down, or we will boot you. Trudeau stated earlier in the day that he would be calling Hehr to discuss matters with him.

In this climate its best if men just dont comment about on the appearance of a woman at all for their own good. Even if it's a compliment, it's best just to keep their mouth shut. Lawyers have increasingly stated that the trend has been guilty before proven innocent with these types of cases, and the only way one can properly defend themselves is by suing the complainant for libel in order to take the accuser to court. Asides from that there is little one could do if an accusation is brought against them accept defend themselves and deny the accusations if and until the accuser files a formal complaint or charge. We're not sure exactly what Minister Hehr said to these women, but it's safe to say they were disturbed enough to come out with these allegations.

But I digress that has little to do with Ontario Politics, the PC's are finished if they cant get a replacement candidate from outside their caucus. Why Caroline Mulroney is being touted as a possible replacement is beyond me, she is just entering politics so for her to get a leadership spot immediately wouldn't sit well with many members of the PC caucus. Lisa McLeod and Vic Fidelli are their best bets from within their caucus at this point.

It would be ruthless but if you're the Liberals do you move the election date closer, say to March or April?
Remember when David Peterson with "ruthless", or opportunistic, and tried to hold an early election in 1990?

Nice try but no. She doesn't even have a seat in the legislature at this point - I don't think it appropriate to parachute someone in under any circumstance regardless of their gender - much less potential premiership.

AoD
The PC's need to put an interim leader in place ASAP - which I understand they will do tomorrow.

What they should do is have a short leadership convention. The purpose is not to showcase potential leaders, or raise money, or raise profile. It is to have a duly elected permanent leader in place for the election. Brown had virtually no name or face recognition anyway - so a new person is not starting too far behind on that front.

Maybe a 3 week long leadership race. Only existing Party members can vote. Vote by mail or maybe online. New leader in place by end of February. Not only would they have a new leader in place, they would have shown that they have the organizational skills required to run government - if they can do in a month what normally take 6 months to a year.

Back