158     0 
News   Jul 29, 2024
 310     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.6K     1 

2018 Ontario Provincial Election Discussion

It's definitely official, he has resigned indeed:

upload_2018-1-25_1-40-18.png

Like I said before, it will be interesting to see where these allegations go. If they go in a similar way to David Peterson it would be absolutely an absolutely disgusting way to have one's reputation ruined, however if the allegations prove to be true he should be disgusted with himself.

Attachments

• upload_2018-1-25_1-40-18.png
    upload_2018-1-25_1-40-18.png
    150.6 KB · Views: 458
One thing I will say (even though we dont know if the allegations are true or not) is that it's a shame people are telling the man to resign even when investigations haven't been complete. Essentially it's the ongoing trend of guilty before being proven innocent, and this can tarnish someone's image for the rest of their lives.
The entire MeToo and Time’sUp campaign is predicated on the premise of guilty by volume of allegations without seemingly anyone being arrested, charged, evidence-tested at trial, or convicted. This current climate reminds me of McCarthyism, where actors and others of influence could see their careers destroyed by groupthink accusations of being a communist, and it being almost immoral to question the accusers and their claims. Now, there are right bastards in this world who prey on the weak, but arrest and convict them in the courts.

Brown’s accusers next move shouldn’t be the media scrum, but the police station.

Last edited:
Patrick Brown is out. I wonder if the intense coverage of a leadership selection is going to benefit the PC candidate. At this point, it has got to be a woman. The PCs must be smart enough to know that right? If so, we’re about to have an all female candidates election. That’s a first.

It's definitely official, he has resigned indeed:

View attachment 133276

Like I said before, it will be interesting to see where these allegations go. If they go in a similar way to David Peterson it would be absolutely an absolutely disgusting way to have one's reputation ruined, however if the allegations prove to be true he should be disgusted with himself.

how long did he last? Four hours between that press conference, and finally caving in?

Should’ve just stayed home and not embarrassed himself on camera.

Maybe wrong, but I don't see this as stepping down/resigning territory. Nothing seems illegal. Perhaps *immoral* to some degree. But is this really as bad as some are saying?

The age of consent in a case where one individual is in the position of power isn’t 16 - it is 18.

AoD

The age of consent in a case where one individual is in the position of power isn’t 16 - it is 18.

AoD
True, but Brown had no power over the underage female beyond the power most adults would have.

If the law was broken, then they should go to the police and press charges.

Last edited:
An acquaintance of mine (who ran for the TDSB a few years ago) described Brown as "without hyperbole, the creepiest person I’ve ever met."
I haven’t met him personally but the creep factor was my first impression of him, and I have spoken with many people over the years who shared that feeling.

True, but the under 18yr old was a volunteer, one could argue he has no power over her beyond the power most adults would have. What was the law at the time? If the law was broken, then they should go to the police and press charges.

This is not a good take

All having several months of 'scandal' lingering in the public consciousness will definitely help the Left. The campaign will no longer be about policy now.

I honestly don't blame the victims for not going to the police first. Victims of abuse have a very hard time getting their abusers convicted criminally in our 'justice' system.

And besides where there's smoke there's fire. I wouldn't be surprised if more women come out now. Sounds like Brown really liked to take high-school age girls to this bar in Barrie and feed them drinks (he of course doesn't drink!).

This is not a good take
This (the statement that as a volunteer he didn't have power over her), along with "why didn't they say something sooner" is making me seethe. This is why #MeToo is a movement. This is why women are finally speaking up. A volunteer, who in this case may have been hoping to start her career, absolutely would see the politician as a person of power, a person who could make or break her start into a political career. And why would one of them have gone back? Because maybe she blamed herself for what happened (classic victim response), and maybe she really really wanted to get into politics so she thought it would be different the next time, and then she promised herself she just wouldn't stand next to him and wouldn't go into a room alone with him and so on and so forth. Sometimes even though you may not work directly for the person, you find yourself at many events with these creeps because your paths keep crossing because of your job, so you have to shake his hand at a public event (or worse, he greets you with a hug or a kiss) because you need his political support.

Looking at these situations from the outside or in hindsight, it's easy to say "why didn't she ....", but at the time the person, especially a young person, doesn't know how to react, thinks maybe she was giving off the wrong signals, thinks it was just a one-time thing. Until this has happened to you, or to your daughter, or your sister, or even your son or your brother, it's easy to sit back and judge. But people in power take advantage of that power, in all sorts of subtle and not-so-subtle ways. Predatory behaviour is just one of those ways.

As for the comment that with one of the accusers, it was a "failed attempt", it was not. If it happened as described, it was sexual assault.

Last edited:
This is not a good take
I have to edit the above, as it wasn't a volunteer apparently, but someone Brown apparently picked up at a bar or party. No power dynamic there I can see. And what's a 16 year old doing in a bar drinking, if that's the case? If Brown was giving the drinks to a minor in a bar or party, I'd say that's the criminal offence.
And besides where there's smoke there's fire.
That's the power of MeToo and Time'sUp movements to destroy men's lives and careers without any test of evidence or allegation. Find enough people to collaborate or mirror your allegation, and he's done for. In the 1960s, you need only claim someone was a communist, find enough folks to repeat the accusation, and they were done - are we really returning to that dynamic?

We have to remember that power corrupts and often invites its ill use. If one can through simple allegation destroy another, there will be those who will use this absolute power. I think every man should be thinking, woe the day they come for me, since we'll have no defense.

Last edited:
Legal burden of proof is a technicality?

And he can't argue that in a court law anyway, because he has no day in court, unless he sues for slander, at his risk and expense.

He is in politics - careers have been ruined intentionally or unintentionally for far, far less without involvement of the courts. I don't see people complaining about how public reports of inappropriate (or even just questionable) expenses lead to resignations, for example.

AoD

Back