News   Jul 19, 2024
 528     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2.3K     5 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 826     2 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Transit Plans

Do I tell you how to vote in Durham?

Chow is promising things to pander to those same voters, but please, keep letting your ideological bias make Tory out to be the big villain here.

I don't mind being told how to vote. The debate is welcome.

And none of us post without an ideological bias, that's the nature of human beings. That being said, I posted agreeing with Salsa's response (which I didn't care to quote for the umpteenth time in this thread in the interests of time and space), each of the points in which demonstrates an area in which Tory is lacking on the transit file, and which is entirely rooted in fact. Bias or no bias, Tory does not measure up.

But how did he perform as CEO?
There's a quote from Ted Rogers the Chow campaign and their proxies shopped around a while back:
https://twitter.com/AdamCF/status/479243433161129984/photo/1

For me I'll never be able to grasp how Chow decided she needed (in whatever status) Warren Kinsella, best known as a federal operator and a take no prisoners one (that turned out to be a problem) and Jamey Heath, Federal NDP talking head and an Ottawan with few if any visible links to Toronto or municipal politics, as substantial members of her electoral team. I can't help but feel this got in the way of leaning on local experts like (since this is a transit thread) Steve Munro (to find issues such as the vehicle and storage capacity problem with the bus plan).

Interesting that he really didn't touch on one of the biggest issues in Tory's transit plan: That SmartTrack will make the Scarborough Subway redundant, since a significant percentage of the riders that made the subway semi-viable in the first place would be using SmartTrack instead.
Why would many taking the subway from Scarborough Centre or Malvern to Kennedy instead go all the way to Agincourt to get on the GO?

Why would many taking the subway from Scarborough Centre or Malvern to Kennedy instead go all the way to Agincourt to get on the GO?

That depends on the frequency of GO, and the quality of surface transit between McCowan Rd and Kennedy.

I can imagine situations when people prefer to either take the subway to Kennedy and transfer to GO there, or stay on the subway till downtown despite GO being faster.

Uh, the Scarborough LRT, which was also fully funded (and where funds were already sunk), would serve more people. You know that, right?

1) To my knowledge, the projected ridership on subway is higher than on SLRT, hence the subway would serve more people. Although, we can debate whether the growth in ridership justifies the higher cost.

2) The subway will make Sheppard LRT more useful, as the LRT riders will be able to travel to the subway terminus both from the east and from the west.

3) I like the precedent of a dedicated property tax portion for transit. If it gets undone, it will be much harder to do something like that in future, be it for light rail, Relief subway, or GO RER.

Last edited:

If it's faster, almost as frequent and costs the same amount, they may choose it over the subway. The subway takes quite a while to get downtown.

Many office buildings including the new ones are within walking distance of Union station, it could very well be faster to take the bus to the "smart track" or GO RER station and take that down instead of the subway.

1) To my knowledge, the projected ridership on subway is higher than on SLRT, hence the subway would serve more people. Although, we can debate whether the growth in ridership justifies the higher cost.

2) The subway will make Sheppard LRT more useful, as the LRT riders will be able to travel to the subway terminus both from the east and from the west.

3) I like the precedent of a dedicated property tax portion for transit. If it gets undone, it will be much harder to do something like that in future, be it for light rail, Relief subway, or GO RER.

Re 2, same with GO RER, since the Agincourt stop is at Sheppard and Midland/Kennedy

Re 2, same with GO RER, since the Agincourt stop is at Sheppard and Midland/Kennedy

Possibly, but only if GO RER is frequent enough. 10 min will make it, 15 min might make it. Anything more than 20 min will result in many riders preferring the slower but much more frequent subway.

So, we need to know the practical frequency of the GO RER trunk through downtown, and the number of branches they want to operate.

Possibly, but only if GO RER is frequent enough. 10 min will make it, 15 min might make it. Anything more than 20 min will result in many riders preferring the slower but much more frequent subway.

So, we need to know the practical frequency of the GO RER trunk through downtown, and the number of branches they want to operate.

I think GO RER will be frequent enough.

It will be at least 15 minutes all day. To put that in perspective, the TTC subways runs at at least 7 minute frequencies all day. So GO RER will be a little less than half the frequency.

Personally, if GO RER can hit less than 5 minute frequency during rush hour, 7 minute frequency off rush hour and 15 minute frequency at night, that would be good enough for me to almost always opt to take RER over the subway when travelling to Scarborough. But I don't know enough about GO operations to say if that's a realistic expectation of GO RER.

I think GO RER will be frequent enough.

It will be at least 15 minutes all day. To put that in perspective, the TTC subways runs at at least 7 minute frequencies all day. So GO RER will be a little less than half the frequency.

Personally, if GO RER can hit less than 5 minute frequency during rush hour, 7 minute frequency off rush hour and 15 minute frequency at night, that would be good enough for me to almost always opt to take RER over the subway when travelling to Scarborough. But I don't know enough about GO operations to say if that's a realistic expectation of GO RER.

Agreed, 5 min frequency during peak and down to 15 min late at night is enough to compete with the subway.

5 minute headways is gonna be interesting. All sorts of double berthing at Union and what not. Maybe flip up sides of the trains instead of doors ;)

Back