News   Jul 18, 2024
 313     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 474     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 657     1 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

There was no challenger to the incumbent in Ward 25, so maybe Kim just wanted to make sure Jaye wasn't acclaimed. (I expect that you'll also see a challenger register at the last minute against the only remaining incumbent who is running unopposed, Josh Matlow in Ward 22.)

You probably have an ear closer to the ground than I....any word on Shiner (I know he likes to keep people guessing) or for that matter Moeser

Councillor Shiner used his office budget on the last possible date to send a very self-promotional newsletter to everyone in the ward, so based on that (and other things I'm hearing) I expect he will be registering to run again right at the deadline as he always does.

Well, it is not really his Office budget is it, it is the General Expense where he has an allocation of $2,510.03 (based on Ward pop) for "General Entitlement for Communications with Constituents"
He is one of many I would expect to see using this ploy... (same as Vaughan did for the Fed and Cho did for the Prov..I give props to Milczyn for not mining that one)
The fact of the matter any incumbent seeking reelection should that final year allocation charged to their campaign expense... as if being an incumbent wasn't advantage enough....

Last edited:
Well, it is not really his Office budget is it, it is the General Expense where he has an allocation of $2,510.03 (based on Ward pop) for "General Entitlement for Communications with Constituents"
He is one of many I would expect to see using this ploy... (same as Vaughan did for the Fed and Cho did for the Prov..I give props to Milczyn for not mining that one)
The fact of the matter any incumbent seeking reelection should that final year allocation charged to their campaign expense... as if being an incumbent wasn't advantage enough....

Maybe all the candidates should drink until they're in a drunken stopper, go around having selfies with everyone, swear a lot, repeat saying the same sound bites over and over again, repeat saying the same sound bites over and over again, repeat saying the same sound bites over and over again, etc.. That way their names will be mentioned in the media and on the internet, all for free. Anything for name recognition.

I think he was mentioned before in this thread, but does this Paul Bell guy stand a chance?

He is up against Shelley Carroll so I think not...
He is however part of R Ford's slate, endorsed by 43Down and Robert McDermott's antiMLTT group so I suppose never say never....
He seems to have a bee in his bonnet re TCHC...
He is one of the three muskateers Smitherman/Papadakis/Bell...so I suppose you can judge by his company...

Last edited:
He is up against Shelley Carroll so I think not...
He is however part of R Ford's slate, endorsed by 43Down and Robert McDermott's antiMLTT group so I suppose never say never....
He seems to have a bee in his bonnet re TCHC...
He is one of the three muskateers Smitherman/Papadakis/Bell...so I suppose you can judge by his company...

And "Canadian Action Party" Smitherman, at the very least, has no chance in blazes. So, Bell's a goner, unless he gets Ford Nation to stuff ballot boxes or something.

My picks so far:

Ward 1: Idil Burale over Vincent Crisanti
Ward 2: Andray Domise - best bet to beat Michael Stirpe
Ward 3: Peter Fenech
Ward 4: Withheld. A shame given there's no incumbent.
Ward 5: Withheld. A shame given there's no incumbent.
Ward 6: Russ Ford - I'd love to see Grimey gone.
Ward 7: Keegan Henry-Mathieu to get Mammo packing.
Ward 8: Sigh. Is Perruzza the best it can get?
Ward 9: Maria Augimeri (tepid endorsement - progressive, good interim TTC Chair)
Ward 10: Withheld. No serious challengers to the one trick pony James Pasternak.
Ward 11: Anyone but Frances Nunziata
Ward 12: In race between Frank Di Giorgio and Nick Dominelli, I'd rather see Lekan Olawoye come up the middle.
Ward 13: Sarah Doucette. First whole-hearted endorsement of an incumbent.
Ward 14: I disagree with Gord Perks on many things, and I find him a bit too full of himself, but he's been a good councillor.
Ward 15: Withheld. What a disappointment Josh Colle is.
Ward 16: Jean-Pierre Boutros
Ward 17: No brainer. Alejandra Bravo. So long, Cesar Palacio, you Ford toady.
Ward 18: Alex Mazer By-bye, Ana Bailao!
Ward 19: Mike Layton
Ward 20: Tough call. Lots of good candidates. Kate Holloway and Joe Cressy would both be great. I lean towards Holloway though.
Ward 21: Another no brainer: Joe Mihevc
Ward 22: The Rookie of 2010-2014: Josh Matlow
Ward 23: Withheld. John Filionis the best of a crummy lot.
Ward 24: No brainer. Dan Fox over David Shiner.
Ward 25: Withheld. Jaye Robinson will cakewalk.
Ward 26: There are always some great community activists who vie for this seat. But I like John Parker. We need smart, reasoned conservatives. He's funny and would make a great speaker.
Ward 27: Kristyn Wong-Tam. She actually gets my vote as I just moved to this ward.
Ward 28: For lack of any good challengers, Pam McConnell.
Ward 29: Mary Fragedakis
Ward 30: I'll go with Jane Farrow over Paula Fletcher.
Ward 31: Janet Davis
Ward 32: Mary-Margaret McMahon
Ward 33: Shelley Carroll
Ward 34: A long shot, but Mary Thynes to take out Denzil Minnan-Wrong
Ward 35: Oh, dear, we're into Scarborough. No endorsement in Ward 35. Incumbent is Michelle Berardinetti
Ward 36: No endorsement in Ward 36. Incumbent is Gary Crawford
Ward 37: I kind of like Michael Thompson. I'll be happy to see him back.
Ward 38: I can't stand Glen De Baeremaeker. I'll choose Kevin Winson instead, who unfortunately has little chance.
Ward 39: Abandon all hope, all ye who live here. Too bad there's no write-in option
Ward 40: I've warmed to Norm Kelly after he became Deputy Mayor. There's no viable alternative, we could do much worse.
Ward 41: Withheld. Though returning Chin Lee wouldn't be the worst thing to happen.
Ward 42: Neethan Shan
Ward 43: I've been warming to Paul Ainslie too. He's one of those reasonable types we can use.
Ward 44: Not knowing that race well, a semi-informed endorsement to Amarjett Chhabra. She's not Ron Moeser.

My picks so far:
Ward 39: Abandon all hope, all ye who live here. Too bad there's no write-in option

I have. A long time ago. I have never been a big fan of Jim Karygiannis as my local MP (or Del Grande as the local Councillor for that matter). I've been hoping for someone to enter the race I could get behind and support, but all the candidates so far seem to have the same populist platform. At least Sinclair identifies the need to improve transit between jurisdictions (Scarborough-Markham). But she, like all the others, are on-board the "underground subway" or bust rhetoric that RoFo spews (in relation to the SELRT-Sheppard Subway Extension discussion). Of course, it's the same fear of lane reductions, "St. Clair Disssasstterrrrr!!!!" arguments against the LRT and higher property values as a result of the subway.

I have. A long time ago. I have never been a big fan of Jim Karygiannis as my local MP (or Del Grande as the local Councillor for that matter). I've been hoping for someone to enter the race I could get behind and support, but all the candidates so far seem to have the same populist platform. At least Sinclair identifies the need to improve transit between jurisdictions (Scarborough-Markham). But she, like all the others, are on-board the "underground subway" or bust rhetoric that RoFo spews (in relation to the SELRT-Sheppard Subway Extension discussion). Of course, it's the same fear of lane reductions, "St. Clair Disssasstterrrrr!!!!" arguments against the LRT and higher property values as a result of the subway.

Wasn't some of the wind taken out of her sails with the approval of McNicoll, she seemed on the warpath about it prior to last week's Council meeting....

Karygiannas was the MP in my parent's riding too. When the Liberals lost all of their GTA seats (including my riding), he was the lone incumbent to stay. Now, I did hear that he was a jerk and had a poor attendance record. His daughter went to high school with me too.

ShonTron, I noticed you left Ward 4 blank...that is not a good thing...the next four years are going to need a very sharp Councillor (I think GLL got out when the getting was good)...I'm thinking of the Royal York/Kingsway (Humbertowne)...with the big one approved there is another up to 30 more to go replacing the old lorises...Luke LaRocque should take some time to consider withdrawal from the Ward 2 race and resubmitting for Ward 4...John Campbell might be able to cut it but if you're going to put a new Councillor put the one in with greatest potential...

Wasn't some of the wind taken out of her sails with the approval of McNicoll, she seemed on the warpath about it prior to last week's Council meeting....

As far as I can tell all the candidates were against it. Most arguments against it were that it's too close to residential (mainly the newer seniors buildings, even though they were approved in a heavy-industrial area) and 200(?) buses/day were gonna cause a clusterf*ck for traffic and too much pollution. The traffic argument is grossly over-exaggerated considering that the buses will be a drop in the bucket compared to the largest traffic generators in the area, Pacific Mall, which is just up the road.

Karygiannas was the MP in my parent's riding too. When the Liberals lost all of their GTA seats (including my riding), he was the lone incumbent to stay. Now, I did hear that he was a jerk and had a poor attendance record. His daughter went to high school with me too.

He'll probably win on name recognition alone. I also heard that he had the worst attendance record as an MP, though I've never bothered to look into that myself. He was always a lock for re-election due to his pro-immigration stance. I'm not quite sure what else he stood for or what he did for the riding. My parents would get a newsletter once or twice a year, maybe, or a 'Season's Greetings' card.

Back