News   Jul 18, 2024
 321     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 437     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 498     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

ShonTron, I noticed you left Ward 4 blank...that is not a good thing...the next four years are going to need a very sharp Councillor (I think GLL got out when the getting was good)...I'm thinking of the Royal York/Kingsway (Humbertowne)...with the big one approved there is another up to 30 more to go replacing the old lorises...Luke LaRocque should take some time to consider withdrawal from the Ward 2 race and resubmitting for Ward 4...John Campbell might be able to cut it but if you're going to put a new Councillor put the one in with greatest potential...

It's a shame about Ward 4. John Campbell is one of the anti-LTT candidates (along with such luminaries as Vincent Crisanti and Gus Cusimano). If the anti-LTT crowd could come up with reasonable alternatives to raise the same revenue, I might have time for them.

Sandra Bussin just filled out her nomination forms and will try and win back her former council seat from Mary Margaret McMahon.

It's interesting that MMM's win was seen as a victory for the right against Miller ally Bussin, especially since John Tory and the Toronto Sun endorsed her. However MMM's voting record on council is firmly in the centre-left region.

Last edited:
Karygiannas was the MP in my parent's riding too. When the Liberals lost all of their GTA seats (including my riding), he was the lone incumbent to stay. Now, I did hear that he was a jerk and had a poor attendance record. His daughter went to high school with me too.

Actually, in Scarborough, John McKay also survived the 2011 Iggy rout.

Unless by "GTA seats" you mean 905-belt seats...and that lone Liberal survivor happened to be Jimmy K's northern neighbour John McCallum.

Actually, in Scarborough, John McKay also survived the 2011 Iggy rout.

Unless by "GTA seats" you mean 905-belt seats...and that lone Liberal survivor happened to be Jimmy K's northern neighbour John McCallum.

My bad. I didn't pay attention to politics as much back then and just remembered most of the Toronto area going to Harper.

He'll probably win on name recognition alone. I also heard that he had the worst attendance record as an MP, though I've never bothered to look into that myself. He was always a lock for re-election due to his pro-immigration stance. I'm not quite sure what else he stood for or what he did for the riding. My parents would get a newsletter once or twice a year, maybe, or a 'Season's Greetings' card.

That riding is a Liberal lock too. When the by-election was held, Arnold Chan easily won despite most people not knowing who he was.

Last edited:
Sandra Bussin just filled out her nomination forms and will try and win back her former council seat from Mary Margaret McMahon.

It's interesting that MMM's win was seen as a victory for the right against Miller ally Bussin, especially since John Tory and the Toronto Sun endorsed her. However MMM's voting record on council is firmly in the centre-left region.

MMM's win was an anti-corruption, anti-entitlements, anti-Bussin protest vote. She never campaigned on a right-wing agenda.

Aren't you thinking of Bill Baker (R Ford's co-accused re Tuggs) rather than MMM

Doug Holyday's son has registered to run for council in Ward 3.

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 16m
Doug Holyday's son Stephen Holyday has registered to run for council in Ward 3 (his dad's old seat) #TOpoli

It's a shame about Ward 4. John Campbell is one of the anti-LTT candidates (along with such luminaries as Vincent Crisanti and Gus Cusimano). If the anti-LTT crowd could come up with reasonable alternatives to raise the same revenue, I might have time for them.

Did you notice who GLL endorsed....Neil Christensen of the Humber Valley Village ratepayers...this should get interesting real quick if he is elected....

As someone who supported Bussin, and thought she did a great job as councillor. My god, what IS she thinking?

It's interesting that MMM's win was seen as a victory for the right against Miller ally Bussin, ...
I don't think she was seen as right during the last election. More like Green ...

Aren't you thinking of Bill Baker (R Ford's co-accused re Tuggs) rather than MMM

Yes, but he and others pulled out of the race in order to form an anti-Bussin "united front" under MMM. (Same with Liz West's near-defeat of Paula Fletcher.)

What do you think of Case Ootes endorsement of Dave Andre in Ward 29...should Fragedakis be worried?

I think he could put up a fight, but it won't be enough to beat Fragedakis and the Toronto-Danforth NDP machine. She defeated Jane Pitfield in 2010 by a few thousand votes and Andre does not have nearly the same name recognition as Pitfield.

Back