News   Jul 18, 2024
 228     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 384     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 779     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

I was in Etobicoke today to visit my in-laws and passed through Ward 2 (they live in Ward 3). The place just looks depressing and underdeveloped. Domise has exposed how little the Ford's have done for their own personal Ward.

Last edited:
Is there a credible candidate running in Ward 5? Di Ciano only lost by a few votes last time but he presents as a sleazy real estate agent. His attacks on Milczyn in 2010 were also unseemly (he basically accused Milczyn of being a puppet to the developers). Is there anyone running with a track record of community involvement and a centrist attitude?

It was kind of my thought too however it would be easier to parachute Domise than say Akubar....he has a greater across the board drawing factor and Akubar is well ensconced with Somali and TCHC community.

I think it's a little late to switch wards, especially considering all the energy Domise has already spent canvassing Ward 2.

Is there a credible candidate running in Ward 5? Di Ciano only lost by a few votes last time but he presents as a sleazy real estate agent. His attacks on Milczyn in 2010 were also unseemly (he basically accused Milczyn of being a puppet to the developers). Is there anyone running with a track record of community involvement and a centrist attitude?

If I had to pick a an existing candidate in Ward 5, it would be George Lehto....

Now that I've wound my way through Etobicoke wards let's have a go at the AB (anybody but) wards on the westside
Wards 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 17, 18

Ward 7 Keegan Mathieu-Henry...is there any redeeming quality to the existing nameless troughing Councillor? (M-H is AFUITBS Challenger to Watch VII)

Ward 8 Princess Boucher...as long as there was only a choice between Perruzza and LoPreti it was best to hold your nose until Perruzza got troughing at the General Office

Ward 9 Danny Quattrociocchi....time for Augimeri to bask in the Sunrise

Ward 10 David Epstein...Did Pasternak do anything at all except pine for an unwarranted Sheppard W subway..shucks he even missed the soap bubbles at Earl Bales

Ward 11 Dory Chaloub...don't really know much about him but can he be worse than the incumbent?

Ward 12 Lekan Olawoye....Hard to believe DiGiorgio holds on to this ward...maybe being another General Office trougher will get people looking elsewhere (Lekan is AFUITBS Challenger to Watch V)

Ward 17 Alejandra Bravo...being a consistent backer of R Ford makes it difficult to see Palacio as anything but an AB...(Saeed Selvam is AFUITBS Challenger to Watch II in this Ward)

Ward 18 Alex Mazer...not that Bailao is that bad however she made little progress with her one big item Affordable Housing (Mazer is AFUITBS Challenger to Watch IV in this Ward)

I 've reviewed fourteen wards now and not one incumbent....Getting close to R Ford's 15 newbies...

Last edited:
Let's talk a little about the Old City westside Wards 13, 14, 19, 20, 21, 22 and who will be returned
Ward 13 S Doucette....if only for the reason she had R Ford pining for the return of Saundercook however that is only one of many

Ward 14 G Perks...Council needs a gadfly and Perks for all his stridency is a good one...too bad his greatest foils won't be in the next Council to feel his barbs

Ward 19 M Layton...his father's name and legacy should be more than enough to return him...not that I'm really sure he deserves it

Ward 20 J Cressy....the name recognition from earlier this year will get him through the hodgepodge of 24 candidates

Ward 21 J Mihevc....too bad there isn't a name candidate gooing up against him, he needs the competition rather than a coronation

Ward 22 J Matlow...acclaimed as of this date

That was really easy, no suprises there, eh...and guess what R Ford now has his 15 new councillors

Ward 42: Neethan Shan seems so desperate to get into any level of government. He ran once in the federal elections, twice in the provincial elections and this is his second time running in municipal elections.

East side:

Ward 27 - After a nail-biter against Ken Chan in 2010, KWT should have no problem getting re-elected.

Ward 28 - McConnell handily

Ward 29 - Fragedakis has a low profile on council but she has a solid presence in the riding. She also has the strong Toronto-Danforth NDP machine behind her. Engineer David Andre is her closest competition and started campaigning in June, while nutty former East York councillor and Ford koolaid drinker John Papadakis recently threw his hat in the ring. His website has to be seen to believe it: http://johnpapadakis.ca/Platform.html

Ward 30 - One of the closest races in the city. Liz West is in a rematch against Paula Fletcher where she lost last time by only a few hundred votes. It definitely spooked Fletcher because her recent list of ward accomplishments is bigger than her first two terms combined. The wild card is community organizer Jane Farrow who could poach some left-wing support from Fletcher or steal anti-Fletcher support away from West. West was endorsed by Rob Ford in 2010 which could come back to haunt her.

Ward 31 - Janet Davis in a landslide.

Ward 32 - Councillor McMahon is well liked in the riding and should easily win, despite what lunatic and fellow candidate Dimitri The Lover maintains.

Last edited:
Ward 19 M Layton...his father's name and legacy should be more than enough to return him...not that I'm really sure he deserves it

I live in Ward 19. Layton has done a good job IMO. He responds quickly to requests and either gets stuff done or tells you why it can't happen. He escalated much-needed traffic lights at the intersection of East Liberty and Strachan for example and then escalated the installation of the advanced green. He had metal bollards put in on a spot on Lake Shore Blvd. where traffic cut across the sidewalk to make random U turns. He kept people informed about progress opening the Bathurst/Fort York intersection even though technically that isn't his ward. He attends many community events and is pretty visible in the ward.

So yes, I'd say he was voted in on name recognition last time, but I think he'll get in on his own merits this time.

Back