218     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 376     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 774     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

No pay, no work...

reporterdonpeat 4:27pm via Twitter Web Client
No sign of Cllr Giorgio Mammoliti at council today - a day after council ruled he broke code of conduct

He's a really friendly, warm and humourous person. I don't like how he votes a lot of the time too, but if we could get more conservatives like him (as opposed to the Nunziatas, Fords and Mammolitis of the world) council would be a much better place. I'd like to see him as Speaker (instead of Deputy Speaker).
Yes, he would be a VAST improvement over Frances Nunziata who appears to be an unpleasant and not too bright person and though I certainly do not like how Parker sometimes votes he seems to be civilised and quite smart.

Regarding Parker; I think people are just impressed seeing a Conservative who just doesn't speak in cliche soundbites and doesn't come off as completely nuts or incompetent.

I don't agree with all of his voting record but almost all of the time when he explains why he voted a way I disagree with I think "I still disagree but I get where he's coming from" but I have to say I still don't get his explanation of why he would vote against rules that all media with accredited media have equal access to city press conferences.

I do agree when he votes against rules for "good behavior" with no teeth in it. The only people who follow those rules are people who don't need to have those rules on the book to begin with. I really can't stand the apology/slap on the wrist rules. If you want integrity rules than have harsh consequences to go along with it.

I have to say, Parker's reasoning won me over on the media vote. I don't think that the City should have an endless list of specific rules that were written as knee-jerk reactions to isolated events. Left-wing activists hate all of the bureaucratic rules that the city has come up with just as much as conservatives. If there's a problem with ideologue councilors on both sides of the aisle, it's that they seem to focus too much on the symbolic implications of their vote rather than the practical outcomes.

I have to say, Parker's reasoning won me over on the media vote. I don't think that the City should have an endless list of specific rules that were written as knee-jerk reactions to isolated events. Left-wing activists hate all of the bureaucratic rules that the city has come up with just as much as conservatives. If there's a problem with ideologue councilors on both sides of the aisle, it's that they seem to focus too much on the symbolic implications of their vote rather than the practical outcomes.

They do? Progressives are sticklers for procedure. Far more than conservatives, I find.

I never really paid attention to my councillor (Michael Thompson) until I got involved in this Ford madness. He seems to be a nice guy who opposes Ford's behavior.

What scares me is that Mike Ford could run in Ward 2 and the Nayshun would support him because of his last name.

I never really paid attention to my councillor (Michael Thompson) until I got involved in this Ford madness. He seems to be a nice guy who opposes Ford's behavior.

What scares me is that Mike Ford could run in Ward 2 and the Nayshun would support him because of his last name.

Good call.

Cllr. Thompson is precisely what you want in an elected official.

Long ago, I wanted him to run (and win, of course) for Mayor of the City of Toronto.

We got Rob Ford (who I voted for, sadly), instead.

Good call.

Cllr. Thompson is precisely what you want in an elected official.

Long ago, I wanted him to run (and win, of course) for Mayor of the City of Toronto.

We got Rob Ford (who I voted for, sadly), instead.

I saw him at Taste Of Lawrence and he wasn't surrounded by any entourage like Ford.

They do? Progressives are sticklers for procedure. Far more than conservatives, I find.

That's why I specified "activists". I'm thinking specifically of the wars that those progressive parks groups have with Toronto Parks and Rec (e.g. Jutta Mason and Friends of Dufferin Grove, or Dave Meslin, etc.). A lot of progressive activists like doing things like impromptu street festivals or art installations that drive the City mad because they break dozens of rules.

How about everyone likes freedom for themselves and rules for others. The more you head towards the extremes, whether left or right, the more pronounced this becomes. The left on city council certainly do like to craft rules and amendments for special case scenarios. Parker's reasoning in this instance does make some sense. Of anyone he probably maintained the best balance between supporting the concerns of the population that resulted in Ford's election and recognizing the times when that agenda was truly leading the city in a bad direction. Stepping away to support LRT, for instance.

Andray Anthony Domise is running for Ward 2.

He wrote this article for the Huffington Post recently that I enjoyed reading: Rob Ford's Answer to Being a Racist? "It's Complicated"

I've heard good things about him from people on Reddit. Hopefully he beats out Mike Ford in Ward 2.

Also I'd be wary of thinking Ward 2 is unanimously Ford Nayshun. There are a lot of parts of Etobicoke who are equally embarrassed by Ford's political existence as the rest of us and are as a result, now probably some of the most politically aware neighborhoods in the city.

I follow Domise on Twitter and he is a very well spoken guy. He did say that when he talks to people, they are tired of Ford family antics. Neil Flagg will vote for Mike Ford though!

Back