News   Jul 18, 2024
 216     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 375     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 772     0 

2014 Municipal Election: Toronto Council Races

Getting the right councillors in will be just as important as getting rid of Ford. As far as we can see, there's a useless bloc of councillors (Denzil, Mammo, etc.) who all tend to vote with Ford. Replace them with moderates, and you're guaranteed that even if Ford's reelected, he will never again have the power to do anything.

I would include Frances Nunziata in that mix as another lapdog of Rob Ford. She was the lead in renaming Weston Wood Park after Rob & Doug's father, Douglas Ford. See link.

The "Three Cities within Toronto” report depicts this place as a transit desert, given the extremely difficult subway access. Good transit is completely non-existent.

The only area with "good" transit access in Ward 2 is near Woodbine Centre with access to GO bus and the 191 Rocket Bus. Other than that, you have hte Martin Grove, Kipling and Islington buses. It's an area, I wouldnt want to rely on transit to get around.

The only area with "good" transit access in Ward 2 is near Woodbine Centre with access to GO bus and the 191 Rocket Bus.
A once an hour GO bus is good transit?

The Rocket isn't bad ... but everything is so far apart up there. The one time I took transit back from Woodbine Racetrack, I pondered walking across the street to Woodbine Centre to go to the single 191 southbound bus stop in the area ... and realised that it was going to be a 1.3 km walk (in drizzle). I suppose I could have taken the Islington Bus (which only runs about every 30 minutes in the evening), and then changed to a 191 (which runs every 15 minutes), but at that point it was simpler to just stay on the Islington Bus to the subway, even though it took 40 minutes. I could probably have saved 2-3 minutes, but by the time I changed buses, and had a bit longer subway ride, the 37 bus was simpler (and drier). Good transit if you work in the mall ...

It's hard to have effective transit up there when everything is miles apart. Though once GO is running frequent regular service all-day, they need to find a way to feed the local transit to Etobicoke North and Malton GO stations.

What's funny though, is that Islington bus was packed beyond capacity ... at 9:30 pm at night. Most parts of the city wouldn't put up with 30-minute service late evening service that was on the verge of leaving people behind at stops. It's well beyond the seating criteria!

Ceta Ramkhalawansingh was appointed to Vaughan seat while James Maloney is in for Milczyn

Don't know much about Maloney he seems to be buddies with Grimes, seems to be associating with the Right-wing of council and in his first council meeting the one of two people (Del Grande) who voted not to take Mammo 3-month pay, he also wanted to defer the Mammoliti issue which he then withdrew.

I see Cllr. Parker was only one of the 3 on Council to vote against Cllr. Fletcher's motion to invite all accredited media to press conferences at City Hall.

I don't know why progressives have a crush on him.

I see Cllr. Parker was only one of the 3 on Council to vote against Cllr. Fletcher's motion to invite all accredited media to press conferences at City Hall.

I don't know why progressives have a crush on him.

He gave a reasoning on twitter:

"To those wondering about MM54.13: I have a general aversion to building up an inventory of little rules aimed at mandating good behaviour."

https://twitter.com/johnparker26/status/486950724220092418

Eh, I met Cllr. Parker a few times. He is pretty nice in person, always active in the community. I haven't really had the impression, though sometimes I dislike how he votes in council.

Eh, I met Cllr. Parker a few times. He is pretty nice in person, always active in the community. I haven't really had the impression, though sometimes I dislike how he votes in council.

He's a really friendly, warm and humourous person. I don't like how he votes a lot of the time too, but if we could get more conservatives like him (as opposed to the Nunziatas, Fords and Mammolitis of the world) council would be a much better place. I'd like to see him as Speaker (instead of Deputy Speaker).

Is anyone running against Councillor Cho in Ward 42??

He's a really friendly, warm and humourous person. I don't like how he votes a lot of the time too, but if we could get more conservatives like him (as opposed to the Nunziatas, Fords and Mammolitis of the world) council would be a much better place. I'd like to see him as Speaker (instead of Deputy Speaker).

Agreed.

He is up against candidate David Sparrow in his ward, who has an impressive resume. I don't know much about him though.

Back