News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.3K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 828     0 

1 St Thomas (Lee Development, 29s, Stern)

What's your opinion of 1 St. Thomas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If this building did something new with deco I'd be the first to applaud, but it doesn't. It's just another retread from Stern's Sears Catalogue of styles.

new new new. always with the new. as someone mentioned, it's comfort-tecture.
like meatloaf in the sky. i love it.

buildup are you interested in my life as you are in US?

I broke my hand last week at a construction site trying to make sure someone didn't get burned by a torch while I was inspecting the work. And on top of that, I work on average a nine-hour day, sometimes on Saturday and/or Sunday, but not at the hours most people work.

I am usually in a computer lab with toy buildings that we create and that are placed in a lapping lucite bath with several hydro fans placed around the edges.

I have spent a number of years studying engineering and I still continue to write when I can and teach when I am asked.

Then I get to post here and have people call me an elitist and my comments more intellectual than real world.

Such a joy.

buildup are you interested in my life as you are in US?

I broke my hand last week at a construction site trying to make sure someone didn't get burned by a torch while I was inspecting the work. And on top of that, I work on average a nine-hour day, sometimes on Saturday and/or Sunday, but not at the hours most people work.

I am usually in a computer lab with toy buildings that we create and that are placed in a lapping lucite bath with several hydro fans placed around the edges.

I have spent a number of years studying engineering and I still continue to write when I can and teach when I am asked.

Then I get to post here and have people call me an elitist and my comments more intellectual than real world.

Such a joy.

If you spent any time at a construction site you would appreciate what is involved in constructing a bulding like this.Not much to it with the glass box buildings.

If you spent any time at a construction site you would appreciate what is involved in constructing a bulding like this.Not much to it with the glass box buildings.

If I spent any time. I am not a construction worker I am a structural engineer, and a paid consultant. I think I know this business by now, and that is a lame comment in defence of Stern.

Maybe World War 4 will break out in Toronto after an argument about 1 St Thomas? That would be funny....

I think it's time for some comic relief.

World War 4's causes, like most wars, will be complex and multi-faceted. While the Modernists (the voices of enlightenment, and mostly unfairly characterized as elitist by their foes) and the Jacobians (the voices of urbanity) and their allies, traditionalists (known by their foes, rather unfairly, as Clewe-less or Cheddingtonistas) faced off over a number of skirmishes - the Distillery District, Pier 27, the final straw was the long battle over a building named One St. Thomas.

And this caused the Great Schism of 2008 between the Urban Toronto Forum and the new Modern Toronto Forum, one professing the faith of the deceased St. Jane of the Annex (but still drooling over interesting skyscrapers that she would have likely not appoved of), the other professing their faith for the living god of St. Peter.

The alliances broke up further when the Mississaugans felt that they could stand up on their own, and when the Urban Toronto Forum cracked over a fight about subways in Scarborough, becoming the Urban and Light Rail Forum (worshipping from the book of Steve Munro) versus the Urban and Subway Forum.

And for all the things they may agree on - liberal politics, a need for better transit, a hatred for Harper, a love of Toronto, they split over a handful of projects.

And then got back together for a big reunion not long after, because despite the back-and-forth fighting, preaching solely to the choir was never satisfying to anyone involved, and forgot why they split in the first place. (The most boring split - the Urban Mississauga Forum, returned when they figured out that saying "Mississauga is urban" to each other got tiresome quick.)

---

Let's agree to disagree. I like this building, but wouldn't want too much of this kind of architecture. I can understand why people don't like it. We need to accept our different opinions on this, and lose the dismissive arguments and the combative nature - and that goes for both sides.

Thanks for asking Hydrogen. It will take a while, and it throbs all day, but I use it as a club.:)

"buildup are you interested in my life as you are in US?

Such a joy."

Actually Zephyr I'm not interesting US's life, just appalled with what i can glean. And the impression is not helped by his self-portrait or whatever those little pics are called. I also resent US for maliciously sending me on a furniture shopping expedition to a place that turned out to be a ratty used furniture hole. I can't seem to exact revenge, though i try.

I'll be the first to admit that your knowledge is vastly ahead of mine and that the time and consideration that you put into your posts are greatly appreciated. I don't think that anyone would disagree that you have added great value to this site. I'm pretty certain my comments are considered fairly uninformed, which they are. To be honest, I assumed you were a proff not a practitioner.

I just wish you displayed more balance and acceptance of BOTH intellectually and emotionally satisfying styles. Sadly, about 90% of what is built is neither.

I hope your hand heals, I'm sorry to hear about that, please take care of yourself.

Construction/engineering is a field I have no aptitude for, but which I instinctively respect. I try to imagine what it would be like to actually accomplish something tangible.

Thanks - it will be fine.

In a way I am just like you. I started out as a University level Instructor with aspirations to be a Professor in a related field, and after getting a few small-time projects that paid very very well, I went further into that direction, eventually becoming what I am today.

The certfications in what I do, came later, but the inspiration of working with the late Eli Cohen, one of the great structural engineers of his time, was what turned me firmly away from academia, although I still have associates there to this day.

Yes it is tangible and quite satisfying in a number of ways. We call it the "built environment," and skyscrapers are some of the most complex and challenging man-made creations on the planet, from an engineering standpoint. The results live with you years later, like children I suppose.

Great post Sean.

I think Urban Mississauga could live on with discussions such as "What SUV should I buy?" or "Which Tim Horton's has the fastest drive-thru?", followed by those who originally formed Urban Mississauga coming running back to UT.

SeanTrans - classic post, right up there with the busway song.

We should start an UrbanToronto post hall of fame section, with a glossary, too (cheddingtonista, cheapening, cousin in philly, etc.).

Back