News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.3K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 824     0 

1 St Thomas (Lee Development, 29s, Stern)

What's your opinion of 1 St. Thomas?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The day that rancour disappears from this thread, is the day this thread is closed - plain and simple.

In the meantime, we await the next set of photographs, or a wanderer onto this thread, and the battlefield begins anew.

.​

If a building (art) produces nothing more than a proper intellectual rationalization for itself, and most everybody hates it (Grad House at U of T?)

Am I the only person alive who is willing to stick up for *both* Grad House *and* 1 St Thomas?

Ah, daredevil pluralism. A terrific way to moider all sides equally...

I love Grad House, and while it's not my favourite building, I don't really mind 1 St Thomas. It's kinda grown on me over time (it is fussy, though).

Wow, you're away from the forum for one day and World War 4 happens, the forum splits into six sub-branches, everyone gets mad, a few people stand up for a White building while others got BJs - what a DAY!

Seriously though, those were interesting autobiographies. Its cool to hear that some people on this forum are actually part of the professional community and not just the prestigious UrbanToronto Whine Club - no offense to anyone who isn't, its always good to have a mix of opinions.

Also, could my dutch giant make it into the hall of fame - shes already got the Guinness Record but a nomination from us would really stretch her legs!

Am I the only person alive who is willing to stick up for *both* Grad House *and* 1 St Thomas?

Ah, daredevil pluralism. A terrific way to moider all sides equally...

I'm with you...I like them both.

I don't like the Grad house much. It has merit as an intellectual exercise but it's fugly as far as I'm concerned. As far as present day revalist architecture goes, I think 1ST. Thomas is quite successful and aesthetically very pleasing to look at.

"and not just the prestigious UrbanToronto Whine Club"

I thought you had to be professionally accredited to be in the Club and log over 500 hours of experience...and let's not get into the lack of acceptance of foreign credentials.

Also, could my dutch giant make it into the hall of fame - shes already got the Guinness Record but a nomination from us would really stretch her legs!

please bring back the dutch giant! post her on every thread! she is a useful visual metaphor for almost everything in life.
no matter how high on the totem pole of urban sophistication and professional accomplishment you may be...no matter how swollen your paw is from creating a better built environment for runts like me, the dutch giant could whoop you good. she'll always be there. always. waiting.

I guess I'll go up to the club this evening, have my driver drop me off and have my hand massaged.

I keep pulling it off with smoke-and-mirrors and I haven't anything to say after all these years of apparently sitting on my duff, wasting away the day. We are so useless we are. Just can't help from being elitists, separating ourselves from the unwashed as they say. And we have so much undeserved pride in what we do that we just look like show-offs. This is all too complicated. I'll think about it tomorrow. After all, tomorrow is another day!

.​

buildup: I think that comparing different art forms - architecture and music in this case - can be a rather unsatisfactory "comparing apples and pears" situation.

My baritone friend gave a recital which, while it lasts in my memory, isn't a permanent object on the skyline like 1 St. Thomas is. It was a transitory event. The music, composed in the 18th, 19th and early 20th centuries, wasn't a copy of music composed in the past, but an expression of those times. In performance, it has survived to delight us today - while lesser music hasn't stood the test of time. So, an accurate comparison might be between the songs in Gianmarco's recital ( the Handel, say ) and an original and authentic building from the time it was composed - not to a faux replica of one. Compare it to Blenheim Palace or Castle Howard or a Hawkesmoor church maybe - great buildings that have survived to represent their time to us - but not to the Cheddington. But also, in performance, the music was as of the moment and of our time as something composed yesterday.

By the way, did you ever find the faux art deco furniture you were looking for?

US

I read and re-read your response and, sadly, it seems bullet proof. So I will look for other, more resilient, analogies and get back to you.

Never did find any deco furniture, we're looking at some interesting lighting from Baldinger some of which seems sort of Deco. Otherwise not much progress. Not looking for more suggestions, thank you...:)

Back