News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 566     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 859     0 

St Lawrence Market

because of course it's so good to charge $17 for a jar of mustard??!!! The city must be pleased that so many citizens don't have a problem with gouging and disrespecting the omnipotent tourist.
When I lived in the area, I shopped at the Market regularly. Makes for a great afternoon walk. Got some fantastic food at good prices, often better than at a chain store — try hitting up Stonemill when they are clearing out product on Saturday afternoon. The kitchen shop is a treasure trove. I don’t recall ever paying $17 for a jar of mustard, but I would if it were a particularly special mustard. It happens to be one of my vices.

because of course it's so good to charge $17 for a jar of mustard??!!! The city must be pleased that so many citizens don't have a problem with gouging and disrespecting the omnipotent tourist.

The all-mustard vendor in the Market is Kozlik's as noted above.
Last time I was there, it was $6 per jar...........its not only really good mustard (some of the best in the world); but they also have 30+ varieties.
You can get Green Peppercorn Mustard, an Orange and Ginger mustard, a Sweet and Smokey, a Curried Mustard and even one based on Black Harp.
Worth every penny!

Pre-pandemic you could also taste them all, as they had pretzel's out and sample jars.

There's so many other great products there and most are priced reasonably. Certainly there are some gourmet items (venison tenderloin, obscure blue cheeses, wild mushrooms etc.) for which you will pay a material sum
But there's also lots of opportunity to buy stuff at great prices.

Last edited:
When I lived in the area, I shopped at the Market regularly. Makes for a great afternoon walk. Got some fantastic food at good prices, often better than at a chain store — try hitting up Stonemill when they are clearing out product on Saturday afternoon. The kitchen shop is a treasure trove. I don’t recall ever paying $17 for a jar of mustard, but I would if it were a particularly special mustard. It happens to be one of my vices.

Kozlik's mustard costs $6 and it's the best mustard in the country. Where else can you choose from 30 different flavours of high quality mustard for $6?

Edit: Should have read all the way down to see that NL has already said this!

Is anyone selling Maison Orphée products in the market these days? I have been buying them from an organic grocery. Not as broad of a range as Kozlik’s but quite decent. Perhaps we need a mustard thread?

Having delayed the TTC track and streetscape upgrade on Wellington Street (Church to Yonge) for several years while they upgraded their conduits etc, Toronto Hydro have now apparently stopped all work on the project! Not sure what exactly their problem is but this is crazy, even for Hydro! The contractor was making great progress but the site has been almost totally silent for 2 days now! If/when I hear more ....

Time to pick up on this story............ a report is headed to the next Infrastructure and Environment Ctte on September 14th discussing what went wrong on this project and why.
I was waiting on @DSC to post this one, but he's pokey today..............so I offer up the link and await his take on the long line of excuses...........

Report link here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/ie/bgrd/backgroundfile-170315.pdf

* note this report also discusses Wellington West work....but I will address that separately if someone else doesn't get there first.

From the report: (my commentary in red)

1631028561988.png

1631028653985.png

Hydro Strikes Again

1631028683445.png

Appropriate Action here, tell utilities they move their stuff when they are told to, if they don't, its cut, and they are banned from running fiber on that street and lose 100% of their customer base, for 60 years, at that location.

1631028779453.png

In order......'how was this missed'; ' a what?', and FFS!

1631028906207.png

1631028929295.png

We don't need a traffic light here, one-way, minor intersection, 2 lanes of traffic once the changes are done.........Yonge, a short block away.

GAH!

Time to pick up on this story............ a report is headed to the next Infrastructure and Environment Ctte on September 14th discussing what went wrong on this project and why.
I was waiting on @DSC to post this one, but he's pokey today..............so I offer up the link and await his take on the long line of excuses...........

Report link here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/ie/bgrd/backgroundfile-170315.pdf

* note this report also discusses Wellington West work....but I will address that separately if someone else doesn't get there first.

From the report: (my commentary in red)

View attachment 347038

View attachment 347039

Hydro Strikes Again

View attachment 347040

Appropriate Action here, tell utilities they move their stuff when they are told to, if they don't, its cut, and they are banned from running fiber on that street and lose 100% of their customer base, for 60 years, at that location.

View attachment 347042

In order......'how was this missed'; ' a what?', and FFS!

View attachment 347043
View attachment 347044

We don't need a traffic light here, one-way, minor intersection, 2 lanes of traffic once the changes are done.........Yonge, a short block away.

GAH!
-Yes, those naughty utility companies were able to install things without telling the City where they were. Of course, the City needed to issue permits which they should have monitored so they OUGHT to have been fully aware but ECS and Transportation are never wrong. I am still hoping the City's Auditor general will look at this whole mess as having it 'investigated' by those who are much involved was never going to get a proper answer as to what went wrong and who is to blame! Council suggested that the AG should look at it in 2022, we will see if she actually does.

This is addressed in section 6.5 of the linked document, where it indicates to only use the most energy efficient lighting, which they note as LED or ceramic halide, and to take into account the effects of the lights on the neighbourhood and wildlife as needed.
It is still on all night and day. FYI it is *theorized* that song birds don't nest near buildings that are lit 24/7 - I looked that up because the heritage office building at Church & The Esplanade put up new lights in 2016 and within 14 months songbirds had stopped nesting in the alleyway. That's not in any city literature because the city doesn't care about the enviromental impact of their little "projects". If the lights were on for special occassions only it wouldn't have such an impact, everybody needs night and day triggers, it's healthy.

The all-mustard vendor in the Market is Kozlik's as noted above.
Last time I was there, it was $6 per jar...........its not only really good mustard (some of the best in the world); but they also have 30+ varieties.
You can get Green Peppercorn Mustard, an Orange and Ginger mustard, a Sweet and Smokey, a Curried Mustard and even one based on Black Harp.
Worth every penny!

Pre-pandemic you could also taste them all, as they had pretzel's out and sample jars.

There's so many other great products there and most are priced reasonably. Certainly there are some gourmet items (venison tenderloin, obscure blue cheeses, wild mushrooms etc.) for which you will pay a material sum
But there's also lots of opportunity to buy stuff at great prices.
Referencing something called "exchange rates" what is CAN$ is not always the same price in other currencies.

Referencing something called "exchange rates" what is CAN$ is not always the same price in other currencies.

?

My post is about products at the St. Lawrence market; not international exchange rates

-Yes, those naughty utility companies were able to install things without telling the City where they were. Of course, the City needed to issue permits which they should have monitored so they OUGHT to have been fully aware but ECS and Transportation are never wrong. I am still hoping the City's Auditor general will look at this whole mess as having it 'investigated' by those who are much involved was never going to get a proper answer as to what went wrong and who is to blame! Council suggested that the AG should look at it in 2022, we will see if she actually does.
Just a footnote... The Infrastructure Committee added their voice to the call on the City's Auditor General to look at this mess.

Motion to Amend Item moved by Councillor Mike Layton (Carried)
That the Infrastructure and Environment Committee recommend that:

1. City Council forward a copy of the item to the Auditor General and request that they complete an audit of the utility and construction report to include it in their 2022 work plan and report back to the Infrastructure and Environment Committee meeting at the earliest opportunity.

Let's hope the AG follows through as there are clearly lessons to be learned and heads to roll!

?

My post is about products at the St. Lawrence market; not international exchange rates
WOW the 20th century with all it's flying saucers must have passed you by. The Market is visited by people from other countries, not sure if you are aware of that, and other countries have other currencies, even if paying by credit card. WOW.

WOW the 20th century with all it's flying saucers must have passed you by. The Market is visited by people from other countries, not sure if you are aware of that, and other countries have other currencies, even if paying by credit card. WOW.

What is your point? No one but you knows.

Being insulting and childish does not buttress whatever point your trying to make.

I am fully aware that people from around the world shop at the market.

So? What does that have to do with anything?

Does anyone know what's happening at 197 King St E? For the last month or two there has been a huge crew of workers there and vans from some sort of restoration company. It looks like someone is sinking quite a bit of money into it. It's the building with the small sign saying "Beethoven Hall".

Does anyone know what's happening at 197 King St E? For the last month or two there has been a huge crew of workers there and vans from some sort of restoration company. It looks like someone is sinking quite a bit of money into it. It's the building with the small sign saying "Beethoven Hall".
Yes. The building was bought by Old Stonehedge Development Corp and is being converted into The George which will include a Sonder Hotel (www.georgeresidences.ca)

Back