News   Apr 22, 2024
 818     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 280     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 693     0 

St Lawrence Market

As a local that walks by frequently, I'd be really happy to see Market Street being pedestrian only year round.
Isn’t it already? There‘s no parking lot at the Market.

Sure I drive to the local Green P opposite the Spaghetti Factory, but from there I’m walking to the market like anyone else.

I noticed today that what was to be a Jacobs steakhouse in the lobby level of the Globe and Mail Centre has the windows repapered over with new "for lease" signs.

I noticed today that what was to be a Jacobs steakhouse in the lobby level of the Globe and Mail Centre has the windows repapered over with new "for lease" signs.
That restaurant group declared bankruptcy early on in the pandemic. I expect their established restaurants (Buca, Jacobs, etc) to be back up and running, but there was no way this one would go ahead.

1623096382652.png

The last under $200k property I saw for sale in the neighbourhood maybe 4-5 years ago, an unmodernised studio, now for resale at $380k.

Screenshot 2021-06-08 at 04-06-50 Check out this listing.png

I used to be interested in these events. Over the years I saw that the city already had a very clear idea of what they wanted and used the workshops to direct locals towards that vision. The construction companies have probably already signed the contracts. I asked a question once and the City Hall mandarin stood up, waved his hand and said "We've hired a consultant" and that was the end of that.

I used to be interested in these events. Over the years I saw that the city already had a very clear idea of what they wanted and used the workshops to direct locals towards that vision. The construction companies have probably already signed the contracts. I asked a question once and the City Hall mandarin stood up, waved his hand and said "We've hired a consultant" and that was the end of that.
Is public involvement always useful? or worth spending time on ? Probably not but it IS more useful than not. You can spend your time on sites like UT 'sounding off" anonymously on stuff to others who (more often than not) agree with you but have no power or influence or credibility or you can take part in public consultations, lobby politicians and bureaucrats and make constructive observations. Some of us do both.

The art is being able to discern what objectives the City (or whatever body) is really committed to achieving; whether you agree with those; and then providing input on what IS up for discussion.

You're quite right that often with consultations, government has an idea (sometimes vague, sometimes quite specific) in what they hope to achieve, before anyone submits a comment.

But that doesn't mean you can't influence things.

Lets take Market Lane Park.

There is a clear notion that the City has around its relationship to the new North Market. The idea of the latter being able to spill out onto and animate the former.

If you oppose that idea, then you probably won't get too far, unless your opinion is widely held.

But if you're fine w/that, there is certainly room to discuss the 'how'.

How many trees, or flowers or benches? What style? Could we do hydronic heating so as to eliminate the need for salt, and reduce the City's liability risk (slip and fall).

Will the trees have enough growing space? Could we look at native perennials in the display beds? How will the design relate to St. James Park across the street?

There's still room to affect change within the broad parameters of what the City hopes to achieve.

Its no different with bigger projects. On Queen's Quay East, I was one of many who spoke/wrote about the need for better growing conditions for trees, hydronic heating, and more use of native plants...........

Lo and Behold all of these ideas factor into the approved design.

It certainly doesn't always work out that way; but there is rarely harm in trying; and if you succeed in pushing positive change even 1/2 the time, you're surely making your City a better place to live for you and your neighbours.

Is public involvement always useful? or worth spending time on ? Probably not but it IS more useful than not. You can spend your time on sites like UT 'sounding off" anonymously on stuff to others who (more often than not) agree with you but have no power or influence or credibility or you can take part in public consultations, lobby politicians and bureaucrats and make constructive observations. Some of us do both.
Why would I want to participate in a rubber-stamping exercise AND be treated with contempt by those fabulous 100K+ a year parasites? Why give them the approval? The less people who participate the more they have to justify their deceptions. This clown doesn't deserve even to mentioned on the board, let him stew in his latte.

Your insight into tree condition is a good point - people had pointed this out for years. Who knows what finally made the difference. I was Waterfront Toronto when it was first started, and that was a huge disappointment especially as it took so long for me to realise what the lay of the land really was. I even remember the PanAm village getting an award as a "community of the year" when the hoardings were still up to keep people out, how insane was that?

C'Est What has set up their "Beer Garden" in the small parking lot at The Esplanade and Farquhars Lane. Not a great location but ....
C'est What was one of the few patios I managed to have a beer on last summer (having a less-than-toddler crimps your social life even when things are open...) so I will definitely try this one out this summer too.

• Sad
Reactions: DSC
Having delayed the TTC track and streetscape upgrade on Wellington Street (Church to Yonge) for several years while they upgraded their conduits etc, Toronto Hydro have now apparently stopped all work on the project! Not sure what exactly their problem is but this is crazy, even for Hydro! The contractor was making great progress but the site has been almost totally silent for 2 days now! If/when I hear more ....

Back