News   Apr 26, 2024
 984     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 269     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 788     0 

St Lawrence Market

Having delayed the TTC track and streetscape upgrade on Wellington Street (Church to Yonge) for several years while they upgraded their conduits etc, Toronto Hydro have now apparently stopped all work on the project! Not sure what exactly their problem is but this is crazy, even for Hydro! The contractor was making great progress but the site has been almost totally silent for 2 days now! If/when I hear more ....

I think they are waiting for the tracks to be installed before ripping up the road.

I think they are waiting for the tracks to be installed before ripping up the road.
What are you talking about? The replacement of the road and the new TTC track laying occurs at the same time - they completed this phase west of Yonge last week. The project has been stopped because Toronto Hydro has not yet approved the placement of lighting, TTC and traffic light poles (yes, really) The bases of all of these poles were installed a month or more ago and they have VERY deep foundations as many also to support TTC overhead. (I doubt they can/will be moved.) This project has been being planned for many years by thee City with TTC and Hydro and gas and telecoms and Hydro held it up last year as they needed to rebuild all their pits and conduits.

As the City owns Toronto Hydro this is simply bizarre but it's Hydro so I am frankly not surprised. Time for the Mayor to say "Get on with it!"

What are you talking about? The replacement of the road and the new TTC track laying occurs at the same time - they completed this phase west of Yonge last week. The project has been stopped because Toronto Hydro has not yet approved the placement of lighting, TTC and traffic light poles (yes, really) The bases of all of these poles were installed a month or more ago and they have VERY deep foundations as many also to support TTC overhead. (I doubt they can/will be moved.) This project has been being planned for many years by thee City with TTC and Hydro and gas and telecoms and Hydro held it up last year as they needed to rebuild all their pits and conduits.

As the City owns Toronto Hydro this is simply bizarre but it's Hydro so I am frankly not surprised. Time for the Mayor to say "Get on with it!"

Time to involve 'The Fixer'!

Time to involve 'The Fixer'!
Much as I like Jack Lakey, I think this mess is outside his pay grade! It needs the Mayor and the 3 Council reps on the Hydro Board to start cage rattling. Toronto Hydro is owned by the City and it's time that the owner started to ensure its 'creature' got its act together. This kind of thing is NOT uncommon from Hydro and it really has to stop. The 3 council reps on the Hydro Board are Minnan-Wong, Holyday and Ainslie.

UPDATE: I have spoken to The Fixer and he is "working on it". Certainly helpful but to solve the huge problem of lack of cooperation (or total lack of trust) between the City and (their agency) Toronto Hydro will take a serious political effort!

Last edited:
Much as I like Jack Lakey, I think this mess is outside his pay grade! It needs the Mayor and the 3 Council reps on the Hydro Board to start cage rattling. Toronto Hydro is owned by the City and it's time that the owner started to ensure its 'creature' got its act together. This kind of thing is NOT uncommon from Hydro and it really has to stop. The 3 council reps on the Hydro Board are Minnan-Wong, Holyday and Ainslie.

Well.............two of those are about as useless as one can imagine...........

Ainslie can be a bit flighty but is more useful than a doorstop, unlike the other two.........

Perhaps he can be impressed w/the need to demand answers.

It maybe beyond his paygrade so far as solution is concerned - but the goal isn't for him to fix it; the goal is to publicize the issue of TH feet-dragging.

AoD

At least we now have water in the fountain. Do we have power for the pumps?
161E5608-D3DA-4074-B192-041877C389D3.jpeg

The work on Wellington Street has now been totally shut down until spring 2022! Wong-Tam's office just told me: "Unfortunately this decision ended up getting made by the head of Transportation Services (Barbara Gray) and Engineering and Construction Services (Michael D'Andrea). They made the call which is why the demobilization had begun yesterday. They did brief Mayor Tory yesterday as well.
In short, the contractor is clearing out this year. The plan is for them to return in April of 2022 to finish what we're to is three months of work. Staff are going to try and push that earlier if possible so it can finish before the end of June 2022.
If there is any good news, this will allow approximately 8 restaurant patios that can now open this summer that were previously prohibited by the work (noting a few are on Front Street that were held up by the intersection work at Church), likely on or just after June 19. There may be additional patios that can open this year as well on the stretch but that is yet to be determined."

A total f***-up!

What is the reason that out of the sudden work on Wellington St has been stopped?
Toronto Hydro said that they had not approved the placement of the streetlights! Yes, really. Hydro were part of the planning for this project for MANY years and had already held it up since 2017 because they had not yet installed new conduits and transformer pits. They had reps on the construction coordination group but that apparently was not enough to have them get their act together. They are a rogue agency who cause HUGE delays and costs with their delays, changes of mind etc. They belong to the City and the City really needs to rein them in.

Toronto Hydro said that they had not approved the placement of the streetlights! Yes, really. Hydro were part of the planning for this project for MANY years and had already held it up since 2017 because they had not yet installed new conduits and transformer pits. They had reps on the construction coordination group but that apparently was not enough to have them get their act together. They are a rogue agency who cause HUGE delays and costs with their delays, changes of mind etc. They belong to the City and the City really needs to rein them in.

Perhaps all the communication have to come out and be made public so that TH can be properly chastised.

AoD

Perhaps all the communication have to come out and be made public so that TH can be properly chastised.

AoD

Thought about it...........chastised yes.............but more than that........people should lose their jobs.

This isn't a small issue, nor an isolated one.

Hydro is continuously delaying the City, not meeting dates/timelines it agrees to..........

It also provides questionable information at times, and fails to adhere to policy in others.

A tsk tsk does not seem sufficient in the circumstances.

Last edited:
Thought about it...........chastised yes.............but more than that........people should lose their jobs.

This isn't a small issue, nor an isolated one.

Hydro is continuous delaying the City, not meeting dates/timelines it agrees to..........

It also provides questionable information at times, and fails to adhere to policy in others.

A tsk tsk does not seem sufficient in the circumstances.
This is a perfect time for the city media to come out swinging and get some easy pageviews, but I guess they can't be bothered. But why?
If this was happening back in 2007 on St. Clair, they would be reporting there live every day. This is a scandal!

Last edited:

Back