News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 395     0 

St Lawrence Market

Young People's Theatre expansion and reno

very cool! this neighborhood really seems to lose out to the west side, but honestly, it just seems way cooler. being steps from the market and having this performing arts scene + access to the lake ... i honestly don't understand the hype of the west side other than some nice places to go have a drink and bite. hopefully the restaurant scene will pick up in this neighborhood in the coming years to more unique places!

Leader Lane could be interesting; and could play into a project that ultimately creates more ambiance on Colbourne as well; though the new office tower has terrible massing/vibe on the Colbourne side....which is unfortunate.

1621434509863.png

I wonder how Colborne Lane will function.

Its currently one-way and requires Leader Lane to be navigable.

1621434569297.png

Colborne Lane itself could a very interesting, European scaled Mews if redone.......but that's a lot of garbage loading that would have to be handled differently.

As a local that walks by frequently, I'd be really happy to see Market Street being pedestrian only year round.
I agree, this is a no-brainer that should have been done decades ago, or at the very least when they redeveloped Market Street. But better late than never. Combined with all the street improvements they are currently doing around the Flatiron intersection and along Wellington Street, this will drastically improve the safety, walkability and appearance of the entire area. Fingers crossed it is approved -- other more "drastic" proposals like Yonge St and the Esplanade revamp have passed recently, so I feel optimistic the time may have finally come for this.

I agree, this is a no-brainer that should have been done decades ago, or at the very least when they redeveloped Market Street. But better late than never. Combined with all the street improvements they are currently doing around the Flatiron intersection and along Wellington Street, this will drastically improve the safety, walkability and appearance of the entire area. Fingers crossed it is approved -- other more "drastic" proposals like Yonge St and the Esplanade revamp have passed recently, so I feel optimistic the time may have finally come for this.

I'm looking forward to the narrowing of Front Street East (in order to widen the sidewalks); The City is looking intently at it......and I'm hopeful approval might come forward sometime this year; though implementation may be a bit further off.

Leader Lane could be interesting; and could play into a project that ultimately creates more ambiance on Colbourne as well; though the new office tower has terrible massing/vibe on the Colbourne side....which is unfortunate.

View attachment 320854

I wonder how Colborne Lane will function.

Its currently one-way and requires Leader Lane to be navigable.

View attachment 320855

Colborne Lane itself could a very interesting, European scaled Mews if redone.......but that's a lot of garbage loading that would have to be handled differently.
There is a well thought-out and almost final plan for the 'beautification of Colborne Street from Church to Leader Lane which is being done by Cartera - the developers of 65 King. They would like to do it in 2021 but covid may delay it until 2022, The aim is to bring this 'treatment' down Leader Lane to Wellington. The next phase, Colborne going west to Yonge would be 'done' when the building at SE corner of Colborne & Yonge is developed (an an application is in for it.) Colborne Lane is more ofa problem but plan is to consolidate all the garbage at the Church end of it

As a local that walks by frequently, I'd be really happy to see Market Street being pedestrian only year round.
You and many of us! The objectors are some of the St Lawrence Market merchants who think (rightly??) that many of their customers park there while they shop, If you think it should be closed 365 days a year I suggest you tell Wong-Tam, the BIA and the SLNA - all of whom are fairly or very supportive.

You and many of us! The objectors are some of the St Lawrence Market merchants who think (rightly??) that many of their customers park there while they shop, If you think it should be closed 365 days a year I suggest you tell Wong-Tam, the BIA and the SLNA - all of whom are fairly or very supportive.

When I come downtown to the market, I rarely drive.

The exception would be if getting a Turkey..........wherein, I must admit to the habit of parking at Loblaws and walking up.

There is a well thought-out and almost final plan for the 'beautification of Colborne Street from Church to Leader Lane which is being done by Cartera - the developers of 65 King. They would like to do it in 2021 but covid may delay it until 2022, The aim is to bring this 'treatment' down Leader Lane to Wellington. The next phase, Colborne going west to Yonge would be 'done' when the building at SE corner of Colborne & Yonge is developed (an an application is in for it.) Colborne Lane is more ofa problem but plan is to consolidate all the garbage at the Church end of it

Great to hear!

How dare you steal money from the Westons! :D

LOL; just because I like to have something in my back pocket............I was always in the habit of walking into Loblaws first; buying something I need that's very small/light; then walking back out and up.

That way, were there any dispute w/Loblaws about whether I were a customer, I have a receipt in hand.

To the best of my knowledge, they abandoned any attempt at enforcing customer only parking years ago..........but they did try, very briefly..........

I always remember that.

PS......steal is such a strong word.........but if I were to re-allocate some portion of the Weston Fortune to my name.......I think I'd aim a bit higher than the non-existent parking charge for that lot.

I mean 1%, give or take, would be 150M

As a customer I can't understand wanting to rely on street parking on such a short street with so much demand. Aren't they supposed to be adding parking under the North Building?

Back