News   Mar 28, 2024
 109     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 177     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 249     0 

TTC: Streetcar Network

This video is from Melbourne, Australia.

How do you steer a tram??? - Tram Automatic Points and how to choose direction of travel.

You can tell it's not Toronto, because Toronto uses single-point track switches on its streetcar network, not double-point like in Melbourne.

This video is from Melbourne, Australia.

How do you steer a tram??? - Tram Automatic Points and how to choose direction of travel.

You can tell it's not Toronto, because Toronto uses single-point track switches on its streetcar network, not double-point like in Melbourne.
...and traffic is kept on the left side of the road in Melbourne.

Got an email yesterday from Councillor Perks with this project timeline for the Howard Park track reconstruction:
Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 9.31.52 AM.png

Also didn't realize that we're getting a nice new Roncy-style streetcar platform at Howard Park and Dundas with a bike ramps on either end (see designs):
Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 9.33.38 AM.png

Glad to see some fixes for that intersection. Always a lot of honking here because drivers don't understand whether they're allowed to pull past the stop line at Lynd to turn right on red.

What makes you think there are more (public) documents than this? It looks to me as though Humber is suggesting this idea (which, I assume they would pay for) as part of a much larger campus plan. If it moves ahead (not soon, I bet!) then the TTC would need to sign-off on it but, if I understand right, the new loop would be "new" and would probably be in a better location so if Humber were paying to build it I should think the TTC would be happy.

It does seem like it would address what the TTC has been trying to accomplish with proposals at Park Lawn and similar for shifting Humber (loop) short turns west. A great opportunity if Humber (college) is serious about paying for it.

Can anyone find links to a possible new streetcar loop or loops at the Humber College Lakeshore Campus (possibly replacing the current Kipling loop)?

I think those are bus/truck clearance lines we're looking at. There are a whole bunch around the loading bays for the building.

Also, the Transportation Impact Study doesn't mention any streetcar route changes proposed; just projected ridership at the existing street stops.

It does seem like it would address what the TTC has been trying to accomplish with proposals at Park Lawn and similar for shifting Humber (loop) short turns west. A great opportunity if Humber (college) is serious about paying for it.
I think you're getting the two proposals mixed up. This proposed Humber College Loop does nothing to address the Park Lawn situation; this loop would be located west of the current Kipling Loop.

Good for Humber for thinking of this idea, but they need to get serious about adressing their student parking issues in the area. They have been contributing to significant traffic clogging in the neighborhood. It's time for them to stop playing cute and build a below-grade parking garage.

This proposed Humber College Loop does nothing to address the Park Lawn situation; this loop would be located west of the current Kipling Loop.

It's not exactly the same thing, but I very much doubt that this will ever be anything but an either/or situation.

In fact, didn't the actual Park Lawn plan include eliminating both Humber and Kipling loops fully?

Last edited:
^Nope, the Park Lawn Loop would eliminate the regular use of the current Humber Loop. Kipling Loop wasn't going to be being removed, it would continue to be used to for unscheduled short-turns.

I dont know what this proposed Humber College route would accomplish to be honest, it's too close to Long Branch loop to accomplish anything asides from the very occational short-turn (ie: rush hour only). Lake Shore Blvd is seeing increasing amount of density west of Kipling, so the TTC cant cut service from the rest of Lake Shore for the sake of benefiting Humber College students.

I can see both the city and TTC getting on board with this plan (if Humber College pays for it in full), only because it it would allow them to deem Kipling Loop as surplus land and sell it off (potentially to Humber College).

Reactions: max
^Nope, the Park Lawn Loop would eliminate the regular use of the current Humber Loop. Kipling Loop wasn't going to be being removed, it would continue to be used to for unscheduled short-turns.

I dont know what this proposed Humber College route would accomplish to be honest, it's too close to Long Branch loop to accomplish anything asides from the very occational short-turn (ie: rush hour only). Lake Shore Blvd is seeing increasing amount of density west of Kipling, so the TTC cant cut service from the rest of Lake Shore for the sake of benefiting Humber College students.

I can see both the city and TTC getting on board with this plan (if Humber College pays for it in full), only because it it would allow them to deem Kipling Loop as surplus land and sell it off (potentially to Humber College).

The diagram only shows that the loop would be used by streetcars short-turning to go back east. There should be switches to allow streetcars to go west, so that streetcars could be used west of Kipling instead of buses, in some situations.

I'm confused... where is the proposed streetcar loop we're talking about? Is there something I'm missing in the diagram above?

Are we talking about the lines around the "twenty second street" label? I thought those were just showing vehicle turning radii overlaid on the road layout.

Back