News   Mar 28, 2024
 297     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 665     0 

TTC: Streetcar Network

Meanwhile....

NYC launches new website outlining timeline and process for the BQX streetcar

See link.

After much uncertainty and relative quiet, an updated timeline has been announced for the Brooklyn-Queens Connector (BQX streetcar) that would connect 11 miles of Brooklyn and Queens. The City’s Economic Development Corporation and the Department of Transportation have launched a new website detailing the proposed streetcar, along with previously released and new reports, which would run from Red Hook to Astoria and connect 13 subway lines and 30 bus routes.

The BQX team proposes having at least five community board presentations and a minimum of five workshops this winter, and intend to collect public opinion on the $2.7 billion project via the new website and engage in on-the-ground outreach. There will be public hearings and the collection of comments in May and June, followed by a draft environmental impact statement in the spring of next year, with the final version to be released in fall of 2021 following public comment. Alternative options to the light rail line will reportedly be considered (the website gives the example of a dedicated bus lane). Currently, the city aims to open the line in 2029.

If all goes according to plan, the city will then seek federal funding (as much as $1 billion according to previous reports) and undertake a land-use review, get the necessary approvals, and select designers, contractors, and companies to run the BQX. Funding has been a major hurdle for the streetcar. The federal government has certainly not been generous with infrastructure projects as of late, especially in areas the current administration sees as opposed to it. While it was suggested that Amazon (which was going to receive nearly $3 billion in subsidies, tax breaks, and incentives) might have footed part of the bill when they had planned to build their HQ2 in Long Island City, that option is obviously off the table. Many City Council members have questioned the price tag relative to the streetcar’s projected ridership and the desperate need for upgrades to transit options elsewhere. Mayor Bill de Blasio continues to advocate for the project, however.

See
https://www.brooklynqueensconnector.nyc/

15.+Berry+Street+Rendering-min.png

I wonder if they ever considered fart gates at loops now that Presto is becoming more and more prevalent. Either tap a valid presto card/ticket to enter the subway system.

As to appearing on the Rapid Transit map, I would say Line 5 does and 510/512 doesn't. The big difference isn't how the vehicles or stops look like but the purpose of each line. Line 5 is designed for regional longer distance travel while the 510/512 are pretty local lines. Line 6 is hmmmm... maybe? It does serve a regional purpose by connect to Humber College which would become a transit hub. The 900 Airport Express does deserve to be on the map to help tourists navigate the city while other express bus routes don't.

I would be inclined though to keep 512 and especially 510/509 on that map, for the same reason the 900 Airport is there: help the tourists navigate the city. CN Tower and Ripley are easier to reach using 510 / 509 than by any other means. Sure you can get there from King following John St, or from Union using the skywalk, but those routes are less obvious for someone new to the city.

I would be inclined though to keep 512 and especially 510/509 on that map, for the same reason the 900 Airport is there: help the tourists navigate the city. CN Tower and Ripley are easier to reach using 510 / 509 than by any other means. Sure you can get there from King following John St, or from Union using the skywalk, but those routes are less obvious for someone new to the city.
In my opinion, with a few tweaks, the 509 can be bumped up a tier in terms of rapid transit. There have been a few times I’ve taken it on the weekend with the right kind of operator who knows what they’re doing (and a bit of luck), where the trip from the Ex to Union was unexpectedly fast. It had that “rapid transit” feel, to me anyway.

Back