News   Feb 25, 2020
 442     2 
News   Feb 25, 2020
 1.2K     2 

TTC: Streetcar Network

micheal_can

Member Bio
Reaction score
The question would then become, should The Queensway in Etobicoke be a streetcar right-of-way with the bus stops replaced with streetcar stops, or a more of a light rail right-of-way with stops at the major intersections (with removal of the minor bus stops completely)? And what is a "major" intersection along The Queensway?
When I read this, all I think is - has no one learned from the SRT?
If it is a natural continuation of a route, then keep the technologies the same. Since it would liekly just be an extension of the existing streetcar line, then use streetcar technologies.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
When I read this, all I think is - has no one learned from the SRT?
If it is a natural continuation of a route, then keep the technologies the same. Since it would liekly just be an extension of the existing streetcar line, then use streetcar technologies.
I was talking about stop placement using streetcars.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
You did say light rail, so, I assumed you were thinking for the change in technologies.
Just like the 510 and 512 streetcars could be "upgraded" to be nearly light rail rapid transit status by the removal of some streetcar stops and actually using transit priority signals. If the keep the bus (converted to streetcar) stops on The Queensway, it will still be slow.

TransitBart

Member Bio
Reaction score
Only a few lonely CLRVs at Russell. Is the yard officially home to any Flexitys or is it being re-built right away? What comes next or "immediately next" if the CLRVs are done? I know there is a re-builid in the works to service Flexitys from the top instead of from underneath.

thettctransitfanatic

Member Bio
Reaction score
Only a few lonely CLRVs at Russell. Is the yard officially home to any Flexitys or is it being re-built right away? What comes next or "immediately next" if the CLRVs are done? I know there is a re-builid in the works to service Flexitys from the top instead of from underneath.
The carhouse will recieve rebuild that's correct, however Russell will countine to store some Flexities in the yard.

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The carhouse will recieve rebuild that's correct, however Russell will countine to store some Flexities in the yard.
The last I heard, the yard is to be rebuilt as well. Mostly 501 and 511 Flixities were store there from what I have seen so far.

They will most likely do the same thing as Roncesvalles complex by adding a taller building on the west side to deal with overhead work.

TransitBart

Member Bio
Reaction score
The last I heard, the yard is to be rebuilt as well. Mostly 501 and 511 Flixities were store there from what I have seen so far.

They will most likely do the same thing as Roncesvalles complex by adding a taller building on the west side to deal with overhead work.
The ladder track at the south side was completely rebuilt only 5 years ago when they took half of Eastern Ave. I figured that rebuild was to accommodate three Flexities end-to-end on each storage track.

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The ladder track at the south side was completely rebuilt only 5 years ago when they took half of Eastern Ave. I figured that rebuild was to accommodate three Flexities end-to-end on each storage track.
That true, but the overhead still needs replacing along with the tracks. TTC started some yard work, but waited tell all the old fleet was gone to the whole yard and not interfere with daily operation. Easy to move cars to the Leslie yard once Roncesvalles is 100% done and back in operation while work takes place at Russell. Easy to build the new west bay with no cars in the yard along with other work.

thettctransitfanatic

Member Bio
Reaction score
Whenever they return the streetcars back onto the 505 DUNDAS (insert sound of crickets here), how about some streetcar games?

505 will get the Flexities again using pantos sometime in March or April (probably starting with either board period), but if they will have any special event held for the return of cars on Dundas is unknown. I certainly think there should be.

Steve X

Member Bio
Reaction score
I really don't know if it's time to celebrate or shake your heads when the 505 gets Flexity's. I am certainly anticipating travel time increasing while headways doubled. Plus getting stuck behind 504's at both ends.

It is not a problem with streetcars itself but more of how TTC operates them.

ViveleCanada

Member Bio
Reaction score
I found an interesting comment on Steve Munro's blog. An anonymous commentator, claiming to be close to one of the TTC's board members, has said there is currently a push from both the mayor's office and the provincial government to replace additional streetcar orders for electric articulated buses. The original comment is in the comments section of the article: Toronto Budget 2020: More Transit Money, But How Will It Be Used? Per usual, Steve Munro made a reply that essentially explained why doing such a thing is a bad idea. Given how much the Ford family loathed streetcars, I won't be too surprised if it turns out this comment does have substance to it.

Steve X

Member Bio
Reaction score
With buses being more reliable than streetcars, I don't see why they wouldn't consider that. They'll also solve the headache of finding a new carhouse. It'll all depend on how these pros and cons stack up when TTC evaluates both options.

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
With buses being more reliable than streetcars, I don't see why they wouldn't consider that. They'll also solve the headache of finding a new carhouse. It'll all depend on how these pros and cons stack up when TTC evaluates both options.
I think you will find many who would disagree about buses being more reliable than streetcars - they certainly do not last for nearly as long. The just retired streetcars were 40+ years old. I would also point out that buses need garages too.