1.3K     0 
News   Dec 01, 2020
 1.5K     1 

TTC: Streetcar Network

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The carhouse will recieve rebuild that's correct, however Russell will countine to store some Flexities in the yard.
The last I heard, the yard is to be rebuilt as well. Mostly 501 and 511 Flixities were store there from what I have seen so far.

They will most likely do the same thing as Roncesvalles complex by adding a taller building on the west side to deal with overhead work.

TransitBart

Member Bio
Reaction score
The last I heard, the yard is to be rebuilt as well. Mostly 501 and 511 Flixities were store there from what I have seen so far.

They will most likely do the same thing as Roncesvalles complex by adding a taller building on the west side to deal with overhead work.
The ladder track at the south side was completely rebuilt only 5 years ago when they took half of Eastern Ave. I figured that rebuild was to accommodate three Flexities end-to-end on each storage track.

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
The ladder track at the south side was completely rebuilt only 5 years ago when they took half of Eastern Ave. I figured that rebuild was to accommodate three Flexities end-to-end on each storage track.
That true, but the overhead still needs replacing along with the tracks. TTC started some yard work, but waited tell all the old fleet was gone to the whole yard and not interfere with daily operation. Easy to move cars to the Leslie yard once Roncesvalles is 100% done and back in operation while work takes place at Russell. Easy to build the new west bay with no cars in the yard along with other work.

thettctransitfanatic

Member Bio
Reaction score
Whenever they return the streetcars back onto the 505 DUNDAS (insert sound of crickets here), how about some streetcar games?

505 will get the Flexities again using pantos sometime in March or April (probably starting with either board period), but if they will have any special event held for the return of cars on Dundas is unknown. I certainly think there should be.

Steve X

Member Bio
Reaction score
I really don't know if it's time to celebrate or shake your heads when the 505 gets Flexity's. I am certainly anticipating travel time increasing while headways doubled. Plus getting stuck behind 504's at both ends.

It is not a problem with streetcars itself but more of how TTC operates them.

ViveleCanada

Member Bio
Reaction score
I found an interesting comment on Steve Munro's blog. An anonymous commentator, claiming to be close to one of the TTC's board members, has said there is currently a push from both the mayor's office and the provincial government to replace additional streetcar orders for electric articulated buses. The original comment is in the comments section of the article: Toronto Budget 2020: More Transit Money, But How Will It Be Used? Per usual, Steve Munro made a reply that essentially explained why doing such a thing is a bad idea. Given how much the Ford family loathed streetcars, I won't be too surprised if it turns out this comment does have substance to it.

Steve X

Member Bio
Reaction score
With buses being more reliable than streetcars, I don't see why they wouldn't consider that. They'll also solve the headache of finding a new carhouse. It'll all depend on how these pros and cons stack up when TTC evaluates both options.

DSC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
With buses being more reliable than streetcars, I don't see why they wouldn't consider that. They'll also solve the headache of finding a new carhouse. It'll all depend on how these pros and cons stack up when TTC evaluates both options.
I think you will find many who would disagree about buses being more reliable than streetcars - they certainly do not last for nearly as long. The just retired streetcars were 40+ years old. I would also point out that buses need garages too.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I think you will find many who would disagree about buses being more reliable than streetcars - they certainly do not last for nearly as long. The just retired streetcars were 40+ years old. I would also point out that buses need garages too.
Buses last 12 to 15 years, sometimes as low as 7 years. Don't have the capacity. They don't have fuel gauges on them, and have to known to run out of fuel.

Steve X

Member Bio
Reaction score
As for new buses, they are managing an average of over 20k km MDBF. The flexity's aren't even hitting 20k and we don't even know if they'll ever hit 20k nevermind 35k. Buses aren't as reliable as they get old but they can always get a new batch after 12-15 years. If these Flexity's decline to what the CLRVs did (5-10k MDBF), we are stuck with them for 30+ years. They weren't meant for 40 years. The ALRVs only lasted 30 and who knows what these defected BBD cars will last???

TTC might see this as a good option for lower ridership routes like the 502/503, 501L and 508 as well as trippers along the 501, 504 and 506.

I agree buses need bus garages and they shouldn't go with buses as that's not investment for the future. I'm just pointing out that since the upfront cost of building a new garage and getting buses is cheaper plus they are performing better than eh Flexity's, some councilors might support buses over streetcars. We'll have to wait to see what happens at the board meeting at the end of the month.

thettctransitfanatic

Member Bio
Reaction score
The CLRVs were not meant to last 40, but did, in large part because of TTC's good maintaince on the fleet. If they countine to do what they do, the Flexities will be short turning in the scrapyard in 20-30 years. Streetcars are more realible then buses. As others have said, as they age they become unrealible.

micheal_can

Member Bio
Reaction score
The CLRVs were not meant to last 40, but did, in large part because of TTC's good maintaince on the fleet. If they countine to do what they do, the Flexities will be short turning in the scrapyard in 20-30 years. Streetcars are more realible then buses. As others have said, as they age they become unrealible.
You can keep anything going if you have to. The TTC should be getting a new contract for new Streetcars sooner than later. When the first current one hits 10 years, the first new one should be arriving. RThis would allow the older ones to be taken out of service to be rebuilt, and prevent a loss of service.

Johnny Au

Member Bio
Reaction score
Near the North York, York, & Old Toronto tripoint
You can keep anything going if you have to. The TTC should be getting a new contract for new Streetcars sooner than later. When the first current one hits 10 years, the first new one should be arriving. RThis would allow the older ones to be taken out of service to be rebuilt, and prevent a loss of service.
Bring on the Flexity Outlook Mk. 2!

micheal_can

Member Bio
Reaction score
I would like to beat a dead horse.

When Eglinton opens it will be part of the RT not part of the Streetcar network. Why is that? And, why are we ok with that?. The surface section sounds like it is similar to St Clair and Spadina. The underground section is like the section along Queens Quay. I understand that the stops are spaced further apart, but not to the same distance as most of the RT stops are. I understand that there is a different track gauge, Line 3 will be the only line currently with the same gauge, standard gauge. The Subways and the streetcar lines all are to the Toronto gauge.

The Rt map should show all lines that are completely separated from traffic, then Eglinton would not be RT. If you say it is in it's own lane, the St Clair and Spadina should be added.

W. K. Lis

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
I would like to beat a dead horse.

When Eglinton opens it will be part of the RT not part of the Streetcar network. Why is that? And, why are we ok with that?. The surface section sounds like it is similar to St Clair and Spadina. The underground section is like the section along Queens Quay. I understand that the stops are spaced further apart, but not to the same distance as most of the RT stops are. I understand that there is a different track gauge, Line 3 will be the only line currently with the same gauge, standard gauge. The Subways and the streetcar lines all are to the Toronto gauge.

The Rt map should show all lines that are completely separated from traffic, then Eglinton would not be RT. If you say it is in it's own lane, the St Clair and Spadina should be added.
See https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/spadina-rapid-transit-line-speculative.30467/

See https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/ttc-st-clair-streetcar-right-of-way.18048/post-1491663