News   Apr 25, 2024
 296     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 402     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 605     0 

TTC CLRV Streetcars: Where will they go once they are retired?

you can charter the historic cars to drive you around if you want - it's not totally expensive either. I believe its a couple hundred bucks for a few hours.

It's prohibitively expensive to charter a PCC. Charters used to be quite common (I went on two back in the early 2000s), but they are rare now as costs have skyrocketed. The TTC has at least brought the PCCs out more often in the last few years for the general public at least, but the last time it did that (September 2018) it was rammed with transit foamers riding back and forth and making it hard for anyone else to ride.

It's prohibitively expensive to charter a PCC. Charters used to be quite common (I went on two back in the early 2000s), but they are rare now as costs have skyrocketed. The TTC has at least brought the PCCs out more often in the last few years for the general public at least, but the last time it did that (September 2018) it was rammed with transit foamers riding back and forth and making it hard for anyone else to ride.

Oh yeah, I hate to be the person that gets off topic, but that event was FULL of foamers. They were everywhere. They're like wild dogs, see something rare on a bus or streetcar route, they gotta run and get it. Even though I and many fan transit ( especially the CLRVs for me ), I'm not a wild dog foamer.

Oh yeah, I hate to be the person that gets off topic, but that event was FULL of foamers. They were everywhere. They're like wild dogs, see something rare on a bus or streetcar route, they gotta run and get it. Even though I and many fan transit ( especially the CLRVs for me ), I'm not a wild dog foamer.

Possibly too because of the lack of Sunday PCCs runs on the 509 last summer. I really don't mind foamers much of the time, but they were large organized meet-ups, and many were loud and inconsiderate.

Possibly too because of the lack of Sunday PCCs runs on the 509 last summer. I really don't mind foamers much of the time, but they were large organized meet-ups, and many were loud and inconsiderate.

The reason given for lack of PCC runs on 509 was because of the overhead, but they would have to accept poles if 504 has to divert, so I don't buy that excuse. The foamers, again apologize for going off-topic, yes you might not mind them, but as you were saying, they are loud and inconsiderate for sure. I was on that PCC as a treat for my birthday ( I wanted to celebrate in a, way,,, ), and they were just,,, so loud and possibly even annoying as well. Many were taking photos at Woesley Loop, preventing the PCC from moving for a good 10 mins ( I expect that events like this ), and in their wild dog fashion, decided to keep on riding on it back forth for many of them, preventing others ( AKA the rest of us that are normal ) from taking a seat. I got too off-topic so that's just my 5 cents.

I don't know but the TTC made them buy the Witts the PCC streetcars and the M1and G1 subways from them.

The subway cars were not paid for by Halton County, nor were the A15 PCCs or the rail grinders. Their only cost was moving, which was done by a company friendly with them. The TTC regularly donates materials and labour to Halton County. And in return, Halton County regularly does work to keep the PCCs and Peter Witt operable.

Dan

I have to say that - having learned of the expression at UT - I don't like it a lot. Simpleton or f*ckwit. feel less condescending to me.

Thing is; we want the enthusiasm and the critique is that it's not expressed in a knowing or profound way. Not everyone is a rocket scientist. Some of mankind is endowed with more capacity than others.

I have to say that - having learned of the expression at UT - I don't like it a lot. Simpleton or f*ckwit. feel less condescending to me.
My understanding is that it refers to a medical condition of uncontrollable excess saliva in the mouth, which seems to exist in some developmentally delayed people, who also are enthusiastic about transit.

As such, to me the term "foamer" is an indication that the person using the term is willing to use prejudicial language against those with disabilities.

My understanding is that it refers to a medical condition of uncontrollable excess saliva in the mouth, which seems to exist in some developmentally delayed people, who also are enthusiastic about transit.

As such, to me the term "foamer" is an indication that the person using the term is willing to use prejudicial language against those with disabilities.

Ah no my friends, I wasn't bullying people with disabilities, I have one myself, but, it's kind of like the one about autism ( which I have ), where people who portray like a level of enthusiasm beyond the normal level would be regarded as such through memes and whatever. It's sad, but you can't control people.

^Easy, folks. The term has long been used to describe obsessive rail enthusiasts, and was possibly invented by railway employees who were sick of same. While it was originally intended to be derogatory, the hobby has come to embrace the term and many rail buffs use it proudly to describe themselves. It has become self-deprecating rather than derogatory..... at least in the context of rail/trainsit enthusiasts.

The term definitely implies thinking from an enthusiast's mind set, rather than using good professional judgement based on understanding urban planning, transit engineering and operation, business management, etc. Transit enthusiasts want public transit that is efficient, popular, well run, well used, economical, contributes to our society. The foamer just wants a particular brand of bus on a particular route because they look cool, and it's the route to their high school.

Many transit and railway workers are closet or open enthusiasts. If they behave like foamers (as opposed to professionals) at work, they tend to get fired. So the term is not always meant kindly, but that doesn't imply disability or some social stigma that deserves rebuke.

- Paul

^Easy, folks. The term has long been used to describe obsessive rail enthusiasts, and was possibly invented by railway employees who were sick of same. While it was originally intended to be derogatory, the hobby has come to embrace the term and many rail buffs use it proudly to describe themselves. It has become self-deprecating rather than derogatory..... at least in the context of rail/trainsit enthusiasts.
We used to call people Mongoloid as well. I remember long classroom lectures years ago telling us that we shouldn't call people Mongloid, and we must use the correct term - retarded.

Simply because a term has "long been used" doesn't mean it should be used. Heck the N-word was acceptable in children's literature and TV programs when and where I was a kid. Times change.

^Geez, we aren’t committing a social faux-pas here. the word was invented by people specifically to describe a difference that is observable and communicates useful (if cautionary) information.
It was not rooted in racism, anti-disabilityism, or any other less honorable vestige of some historical social inequity.
There may be some stigma to the term, at least to the degree that some element of the hobby is found to be less credible as advocates, and/or behaves in ways that are annoying to others. Which I believe was the point being made about enthusiasts taking up more than their share of the bandwidth which the TTC was offering the public by running PCC’s on weekends.
I don’t find the term any more objectionable than say ‘conspiracy theorist’, although I might well use the term dismissively to reject their argument on its face. But then, I admit to being both things ;-)

- Paul

Back