News   Apr 19, 2024
 342     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 8.9K     2 

TTC CLRV Streetcars: Where will they go once they are retired?

While they MIGHT want some spare parts or even a car or two, I doubt anyone wants the (large) expense of shipping whole rusted and aged streetcars around the continent.

I agree. Who and what city IN THEIR minds would want to pay shipping for rusted and old streetcars, especially when you consider they aren't wheelchair accessible. If they had some way to modify the CLRV design to be wheelchair accessible, and clean up the rust, maybe some cities would want them.

I agree. Who and what city IN THEIR minds would want to pay shipping for rusted and old streetcars, especially when you consider they aren't wheelchair accessible. If they had some way to modify the CLRV design to be wheelchair accessible, and clean up the rust, maybe some cities would want them.

San Francisco has ramps at streetcar stops, and their historic vehicles (PCCs and others) have bridge plates for the front doors. (Of course that doesn't mean they'd want rusty old CLRVs.)

San Francisco has ramps at streetcar stops, and their historic vehicles (PCCs and others) have bridge plates for the front doors. (Of course that doesn't mean they'd want rusty old CLRVs.)

Hmm, well that's nice to see they still run the PCCs down there, and yeah they for sure don't want the rusttacular, CLRVs!

you can charter the historic cars to drive you around if you want - it's not totally expensive either. I believe its a couple hundred bucks for a few hours.

Technically, TTC operators that drive and people who ride the CLRVs are already on a historical vehicle but yes, you can rent out the PCCs.

Stick them down at the Roundhouse and put the Witt and one PCC with them, and sell the other one to whoever will take it. Service tracks for service cars.
They don't have space most of the roundhouse is taken up by steam whistle and the rec room they only have three of the bays at most and all of them have stuff in them.

They don't have space most of the roundhouse is taken up by steam whistle and the rec room they only have three of the bays at most and all of them have stuff in them.
Only because the City has been more interested in renting it out to make money, than provide more bays.

Though the current plan of a proper transit museum near Davenport and Bathurst, adjacent to existing streetcar tracks seems the best approach. Though perhaps not as touristically accessible - although PCC shuttles from Bathurst station direct to that location have worked well in the past.

Last edited:
Only because the City has been more interested in renting it out to make money, than provide more bays.

Though the current plan of a proper transit museum near Davenport and Bathurst, adjacent to existing streetcar tracks seems the best approach. Though perhaps not as touristically accessible - although PCC shuttles from Bathurst station direct to that location have worked well in the past.

PCC shuttle! That sounds nice!

Back