News   Mar 18, 2024
 793     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.6K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 777     0 

Jarvis and Dundas

From Glen Murray's newsletter: This is the area below the TCHC building on east side of Jarvis that was, at one time, to become a skate park.

News From Queen's Park

Sport Centre for At-Risk Youth to be Build in Toronto Centre
Ontario is investing $1.6 million over the next four years to construct a state of the art new facility for at-risk children. The facility will combine sport, education and research to help build a brighter future for children in the area. What's more, this ground breaking project will built right here in Toronto Centre, at 261 Jarvis! The facility will serve 200,000 youths from ages 6-25. It will feature a gymnasium, teaching kitchen, and classrooms, and is set to open next year, in 2017.

Annie's is gone, on to Alphie's and The New Buffalo Restaurant...Hopefully.

The people who frequented Mounties at least weren't a problem. It helped that it closed at 10, I guess, and I never minded it - nothing wrong with the local lower-income residents having a place to drink and socialize where they won't feel uncomfortable. Alphie's, on the other hand....

The people who frequented Mounties at least weren't a problem. It helped that it closed at 10, I guess, and I never minded it - nothing wrong with the local lower-income residents having a place to drink and socialize where they won't feel uncomfortable. Alphie's, on the other hand....

Fair on all fronts.

I'd love for this area to do well because I feel its success would eventually have important impact on the viability of Regent Park. Dundas East has so much potential and isn't getting proportionate attention.

Don't worry. grittiness is alive and well just a block over at Sherbourne and Dundas. I cringe whenever I pass the Love Cafe on the streetcar.

That intersection is appalling on every corner, there's no where to look away to that isn't as bad as the True Love Cafe. Besides, there's plenty of grit left all the way from Yonge to Parliament. Plenty.

It appears that Mounties has re-opened, possibly with equipment etc. from Mutual Street Deli (I saw them bringing things over back in January). Although their sign says open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, they were regrettably closed for Valentine's Day.

The neighbourhood around Dundas and Jarvis will be unrecognizable in a couple of years. Pace is complete, Grid is almost topped-out, Dundas Square Gardens is coming along nicely and the new Ryerson Residence is nearly complete too. Add to that the Max and Ivy condos just south on Mutual, in.De over on George, the Grand Hotel redevelopment, plus all the other condos going up along Shuter, Social at Dundas and Church etc. It's pretty mind boggling! Can't wait for a decent brunch spot.

63PWgBX.jpg

Pop Coffee Works has opened up on the ground floor of 190 Jarvis St (just south of Dundas). It's hard to tell what their opening hours are though: so far they don't seem to open during the evenings or on Sundays.

Pop Coffee Works has opened up on the ground floor of 190 Jarvis St (just south of Dundas). It's hard to tell what their opening hours are though: so far they don't seem to open during the evenings or on Sundays.

It indeed has weird hours - they aren't posted.

Good Earth (a Western Canada-based chain) in the bottom of Pace didn't last long. Coffee was not very good, anyway, but it suddenly went dead for a few weeks before the bailiff notices went up on the doors.

Back