News   Mar 18, 2024
 689     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 759     0 

Jarvis and Dundas

It indeed has weird hours - they aren't posted.

Good Earth (a Western Canada-based chain) in the bottom of Pace didn't last long. Coffee was not very good, anyway, but it suddenly went dead for a few weeks before the bailiff notices went up on the doors.
On a related note, Good Earth is moving into the base of 155 Redpath in Midtown

Good Earth has reopened with new owners. Apparently the previous owner's food was not up to company standards (second hand info, not entirely sure what that means).

Pop Coffee has great coffee and does really good pour overs, hope they can stick it out. I imagine they'll get some more business when the new Ryerson residence next door opens in the fall.

Mast coffee at the corner of Shuter and Dalhousie is now selling Ed's Real Scoop ice cream!

And finally, the water mains on Jarvis between Queen and Dundas will be replaced, and the street 'upgraded', between now and the end of October:
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toro...acement-road-reconstruction-project-1.4737234

I would vote for this as Toronto's most changed intersection. It's really quite drastic. Really feels big-time downtown now.

Don't worry, they're planning on more shelters in the area....to keep the gentrification at bay.
I hope you are joking :(

We lost the hotel/shelter on Church and Dundas (gaining a new condo development - Social Condo)
319 Jarvis (Centrecourt new development - Prime Condo) is another shelter/hotel that is closing (another condo development)
A new condo in development at 219 Dundas st E (almost sold out)
Seaton house to shutdown end of 2019 (not sure if this will get cancelled with the new provincial government) and will be under construction for a few years
The lot at 230 sherbourne will not be purchased by the city to build affordable housing

The only new shelter I am aware of is the new LGBT youth centre at Pembroke and Dundas (under construction) , but that itself replaced a notorious shelter for men

The houses along Dundas St E from Jarvis to Sherbourne are now being rented out at market price - I am assuming the city gave up these properties.

If we go further east, Regent park is nowhere near completion - most of regent park residents will use Dundas st E to get to downtown

I guess you are joking:
319 Jarvis doesn't exist. 321 Jarvis is a Comfort Inn...labelling it a shelter to suit your agenda, doesn't actually make it one.
219 Dundas is a parking lot....if you've read any of these fora, turning a parking lot into anything makes the developer a hero.
Seaton house will be shut down and then rebuilt as an even larger shelter. It's currently the largest in north America....If you were a good citizen, you'd want this in your neighbourhood.
"230 sherbourne will not be purchased by the city" Good! there is enough concentration of shelters in this neighbourhood....time to ruin someone elses for a change.

"The only new shelter I am aware of is the new LGBT youth centre at Pembroke and Dundas (under construction)" Yes, the one where they were supposed to incorporate the old house on Dundas, but completely demolished it instead.

"The houses along Dundas St E from Jarvis to Sherbourne are now being rented out at market price" that's great news!

You forgot about the new 'safe injection site' and Dundas and Sherbourne...in addition to the one at Queen and Sherbourne....in addition to the alley behind my house.

I guess you are joking:
319 Jarvis doesn't exist. 321 Jarvis is a Comfort Inn...labelling it a shelter to suit your agenda, doesn't actually make it one.
219 Dundas is a parking lot....if you've read any of these fora, turning a parking lot into anything makes the developer a hero.
Seaton house will be shut down and then rebuilt as an even larger shelter. It's currently the largest in north America....If you were a good citizen, you'd want this in your neighbourhood.
"230 sherbourne will not be purchased by the city" Good! there is enough concentration of shelters in this neighbourhood....time to ruin someone elses for a change.

"The only new shelter I am aware of is the new LGBT youth centre at Pembroke and Dundas (under construction)" Yes, the one where they were supposed to incorporate the old house on Dundas, but completely demolished it instead.

"The houses along Dundas St E from Jarvis to Sherbourne are now being rented out at market price" that's great news!

You forgot about the new 'safe injection site' and Dundas and Sherbourne...in addition to the one at Queen and Sherbourne....in addition to the alley behind my house.

Seaton House is getting rebuilt - but the shelter component will be smaller than before - the rest of the programme is nursing home and supportive housing.

AoD

Seaton House is getting rebuilt - but the shelter component will be smaller than before - the rest of the programme is nursing home and supportive housing.

AoD

To flesh that out, the site as is, is home to 600 'homeless' men; and has had as many as 900 in the past.

The replacement facilities will be a 100bed emergency shelter, 130 beds of transitional/supportive housing and a 378 bed long-term care home.

So depending on how you want to characterize the first two, the reduction in occupancy is either 600 to 100 or 600 t0 230 people.

I'll assume we don't equate a long-term care home to shelter facilities.

https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...nd-homelessness/george-street-revitalization/

To flesh that out, the site as is, is home to 600 'homeless' men; and has had as many as 900 in the past.

The replacement facilities will be a 100bed emergency shelter, 130 beds of transitional/supportive housing and a 378 bed long-term care home.

So depending on how you want to characterize the first two, the reduction in occupancy is either 600 to 100 or 600 t0 230 people.

I'll assume we don't equate a long-term care home to shelter facilities.

https://www.toronto.ca/city-governm...nd-homelessness/george-street-revitalization/

It would be inappropriate to equate the two - especially since the LTC component is meant to replace an existing home in the portfolio - and that has very little to do with the homeless. In fact the explicit goal (whether one agree with it or not) of the city's shelter programme is decentralization.

AoD

I guess you are joking:

I live at Sherbourne and Dundas (next door to All Saints Church) and I would prefer a complete shutdown of these larger shelters - so that makes me a bad citizen. I am fine with that. It is only when you live near these shelters you realize they do more harm than good. I am not aware of a new injection site at Sherb and Dundas. Can you elaborate?

321 and the other property north of it are used as temporary shelters during the colder months.

Smaller shelters spread across the city is the right way to resolve this issue with homelessness and their impact on neighborhoods (loitering, assaults, littering, high concentration of thefts, property damage)

So all these unsophisticated socioeconomic climbers bought cheaply in this area/Cabbagetown BECAUSE of the homeless and junkies around, and now all of a sudden shelters are a bad thing? That's just silly.

Last edited:
So all these unsophisticated socioeconomic climbers bought cheaply in this area/Cabbagetown BECAUSE of the homeless and junkies around, and now all of a sudden shelters are a bad thing? That's just silly.

I would agree with you if only it was cheaper to buy in South Cabbagetown. As a matter of fact it's quite the opposite actually. You pay more to live there (renting or buying) than you would near Trinity bellwoods.

There seems to be a high number of shelters along Sherbourne from Gerard all the way down to Queen. There are just too many in such a small space. I don't see how that helps anyone? These areas are so run down. Drive or take the bus down Sherbourne through those areas, constant people crossing the street without looking at traffic, holding up buses, crime, etc.

Shelters should be spread around. But it seems like the city just dumped a lot of people in the same area. Is the purpose of shelters to house people till they die or do we plan on helping them? As someone has said, build smaller shelters and spread them around. The whole area in question is a mess due to either improper planning, neglect or both..

Last edited:

Back