News   Mar 18, 2024
 707     0 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 2.5K     4 
News   Mar 18, 2024
 763     0 

Jarvis and Dundas

I can't help but wish that the Gov't of Canada would revitalize the Moss Park Armuoury site. It wouldn't even necessarily mean them leaving, but they need to capture the actual value of their property and integrate it better into the community.

Back when Ryerson was building the engineering school on Church, they wanted to buy the Esso station at the NE corner of Church and Dundas. The asking price was too high as that's Esso's highest revenue station in downtown Toronto.

Back when Ryerson was building the engineering school on Church, they wanted to buy the Esso station at the NE corner of Church and Dundas. The asking price was too high as that's Esso's highest revenue station in downtown Toronto.

Ideally Ryerson or someone should buy the SW and SE corner as well. What an atrocious downtown intersection.

Untitled.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 831
That is a dreadful intersection. What's even more surprising is that it's only one major street away from our city's major shopping street. It's very strange to have such a degraded, rundown, dead area, just a block from a major retail street. That seriously needs to change. We need to expand the retail core east of Yonge, at least to Jarvis or Sherbourne. Church street is a disaster in this area, both north and south of Dundas. You would think that developers would be jumping at the chance to develop this whole area with hotels, retail and condos but yet, it remains a dead zone.

Last edited:
We need to expand the retail core east of Yonge, at least to Jarvis or Sherbourne. Church street is a disaster in this area, both north and south of Dundas. You would think that developers would be jumping at the chance to develop this whole area with hotels, retail and condos but yet, it remains a dead zone.

Church street is fine between Maitland and Isabella and below Richmond.

I agree that retail need to extend to east of Yonge st. For example, Jarvis st is very wide with wide sidewalk. Why shouldn't the city rezone the entire street to retail and revive this once gloriously street? We all know that Bay and University are pretty much dead sterile streets. Jarvis still has lot of gaps and lots and it is wide enough to sustain some serious retail/pedestrians. Now it is just a highway to folks from Moore Park/Rosedale to drive to downtown and there is hardly anything worth stopping for. what a shame. Our downtown is unfortunately too dominated by residential housing.

We'll see a shrinking of retail "brick and mortar" stores before any more expansions into new shopping districts.

I don't see how this intersection looks any worse than the typical ones you see on many other old low-rise streets like Queen West.

I don't see how this intersection looks any worse than the typical ones you see on many other old low-rise streets like Queen West.

They look almost equally bad and dilapidated. However, the difference is Queen W is a lot more vibrant while Queen E is pretty dead with a disproportionally high level of homeless and mentally ill.

Where do you see big, parking lots along Queen St. West and no retail, except for a few dive restaurants? Queen West is MUCH nicer than this. (and a lot more animated too) It's not even nearly the same. Hell, even Queen East, with all its problems, is better than Dundas East.

Where do you see big, parking lots along Queen St. West and no retail, except for a few dive restaurants? Queen West is MUCH nicer than this. (and a lot more animated too) It's not even nearly the same. Hell, even Queen East, with all its problems, is better than Dundas East.

What's wrong with Queen East? I thought it was nice?

It is but there is a stretch, JUST east and west of the DVP that has seen little to no growth from a retail / office / residential point of view ...
Namely due to the very large concentration of homeless shelters across this stretch.

It's inevitable that these areas just east of Yonge will look much better in the future as higher-end retail moves in, restores, cleans and improves, because of the location.

I agree ... but the 'future' ... may be anywhere from 5-20+ years!

Back