News   Apr 26, 2024
 686     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 240     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 720     0 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

So a couple of updates on secondary entrances. One the Mccowan one looks like it has the gates in place and should be open soon. Alos Victoria park is scheduled to have its secondary entrance replaced starting next week.

Royal York's Grenview entrance has had the old token turnstiles ripped out, and a hoarding erected, for some weeks now. But I have never actually seen any sign of anyone working inside the hoarding. Meanwhile, the entrance is now staffed full time due to the lack of any gates. The ticket collector doesn't have to sell tickets, just guard the farebox and enforce people paying a fare to enter. Nice gig, wonder if they are drivers getting paid OT to do the work.

This may just be a scheduling snafu, but it is an expensive practice. If it was planned out this way, it's damn sloppy management.

- Paul

Royal York's Grenview entrance has had the old token turnstiles ripped out, and a hoarding erected, for some weeks now. But I have never actually seen any sign of anyone working inside the hoarding. Meanwhile, the entrance is now staffed full time due to the lack of any gates. The ticket collector doesn't have to sell tickets, just guard the farebox and enforce people paying a fare to enter. Nice gig, wonder if they are drivers getting paid OT to do the work.

This may just be a scheduling snafu, but it is an expensive practice. If it was planned out this way, it's damn sloppy management.

- Paul
They do most of the work overnight when the station is closed or has low traffic. They typically start working at 10 at night

- Paul

At Eglinton south entrance (formerly unattended) there is now a similar fare collector attending to a fare box.

With the fare gates customers can use the gates with Presto or Metropass. Fare collector is just for tokens, cash, and free kids (the latter two never got to use the old turnstiles).

Seems wasteful to me.

Work has started on the secondary gates at Victoria Park. So far the old turnstiles have been removed with temporary fencing up to block access in and out.

Bayview's automatic entrance has the new fare gates in operation as of yesterday, with some temporary fencing - replaced with proper barriers today.

I got a picture at Victoria Park today of the old second entrance area, they relly took it out fast. The box covered in stainless steel is the old fare colectors both that they closed off a few years ago.

32514758381_f9965b2e44_z_d.jpg

NY Centre station - a few days ago I noticed this fare gate was not functioning. As of today I see that it's still not fixed, and I witnessed a large group of young adults enter through here without paying the fare.

Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 2.52.06 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 2.52.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-02-05 at 2.52.06 PM.png
    741.6 KB · Views: 443
NY Centre station - a few days ago I noticed this fare gate was not functioning. As of today I see that it's still not fixed, and I witnessed a large group of young adults enter through here without paying the fare.
Of course they may all have had Metropasses or transfers .....

That schedule doesn't include a single downtown station. So no plans to install the new fare gates at downtown stations? This doesn't make any sense.
My understanding is that the 26 original stations are slated to be the last ones to be updated to the new fare gates.

View attachment 98006
I think that one has something to do with the elevator right now as not everyone that needs it has a metropass or presto card.

I think that one has something to do with the elevator right now as not everyone that needs it has a metropass or presto card.

is there a camera overlooking that position? might want to forward your observations to the proper authorities to see if they can identify and prosecute

Back