News   Apr 26, 2024
 362     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 325     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 511     0 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

so is there a schedule on when they will start working on the remaining gates? it seemed like after they ticked the checkbox for 2016 they just went back
to their old slacking ways.
Their schedule so far has a lot of automatic entrances conversions, plus main entrances for Eglinton, St. Clair West and Don Mills. No luck for the downtown "U" stations.
Looks like they are working their way backwards, going from suburb to downtown.

Their schedule so far has a lot of automatic entrances conversions, plus main entrances for Eglinton, St. Clair West and Don Mills. No luck for the downtown "U" stations.
Looks like they are working their way backwards, going from suburb to downtown.

I think they are saving the downtown ones for last because they will need the most planing on how to add them to them. Some of them may be easier then others like for example Queen street they could just close one entrance at a time to do it. I think Union is going to be the hardest one to change over unless they laid the ground work for them when they put in the current gate line there.

The new gates at Downsview are live:
upload_2017-1-20_21-18-18.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-20_21-18-18.png
    upload_2017-1-20_21-18-18.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 567
I think they are saving the downtown ones for last because they will need the most planing on how to add them to them. Some of them may be easier then others like for example Queen street they could just close one entrance at a time to do it. I think Union is going to be the hardest one to change over unless they laid the ground work for them when they put in the current gate line there.

At Coxwell or something like that, it's not pretty but it's certainly feasible to close most of the entrances/exits, and funnel people through a little temporary detour entrance. At most of the downtown U stations (especially Union, King, Dundas, and Bloor/Yonge) that is simply impossible due to the passenger volumes at the farelines. The only feasible strategy given the passenger volumes in play is to close down only portions of the turnstiles while leaving others open, and complete the installations piecemeal, assigning small teams to a large number of stations over a longer period of time, instead of blitzing the installation at one station at a time and closing most of it.

All of the downtown U stations, if I recall correctly, either have two opposing lines of turnstiles or in a line of turnstiles they have a collector's booth in the middle, so in any of those stations they can just close one set and leave the other open, and that's in one given entrance, no need (generally) for closing one entrance and rerouting people to the other.

Union, while extremely busy at the farelines due to the PATH and GO, is largely easier since it has the two large farelines, and the south one is even large enough to do in halves.

Of course, this all depends on the TTC putting enough thought into this...

I have to say, despite all the early issues with these new fare gates, they are are definitely the best looking gates I have seen of any transit agency in the world.

On first glance, I didn't even realize the picture above was a TTC station.

At Coxwell or something like that, it's not pretty but it's certainly feasible to close most of the entrances/exits, and funnel people through a little temporary detour entrance. At most of the downtown U stations (especially Union, King, Dundas, and Bloor/Yonge) that is simply impossible due to the passenger volumes at the farelines. The only feasible strategy given the passenger volumes in play is to close down only portions of the turnstiles while leaving others open, and complete the installations piecemeal, assigning small teams to a large number of stations over a longer period of time, instead of blitzing the installation at one station at a time and closing most of it.

All of the downtown U stations, if I recall correctly, either have two opposing lines of turnstiles or in a line of turnstiles they have a collector's booth in the middle, so in any of those stations they can just close one set and leave the other open, and that's in one given entrance, no need (generally) for closing one entrance and rerouting people to the other.

Union, while extremely busy at the farelines due to the PATH and GO, is largely easier since it has the two large farelines, and the south one is even large enough to do in halves.

Of course, this all depends on the TTC putting enough thought into this...

If the Collectors are being phased out (as they plan) I assume this means that the booths will also go (or at least could be relocated). Then, at stations like King which have the central booth, they could fit in far more new gates than there are old ones.

I have to say, despite all the early issues with these new fare gates, they are are definitely the best looking gates I have seen of any transit agency in the world.
On first glance, I didn't even realize the picture above was a TTC station.

Save for the open ceiling slats, which is a giveaway. But the fare gates are slick for a NorAm system.

AoD

If the Collectors are being phased out (as they plan) I assume this means that the booths will also go (or at least could be relocated). Then, at stations like King which have the central booth, they could fit in far more new gates than there are old ones.
The booth plus the crash gate probably gets you 2-3 gates total I'd say. I'd like to see King (Commerce Court) completely redesigned as it seems to me there is a lot of wasted space there.

Agreed, but 2018 is the earliest they can start removing collector booths since the new gates don't accept tokens--until tokens are completely phased out, collector booths or crash gates must remain in place for tokens. They can get away with one per station (two at Dundas), so any surplus booths could certainly be eliminated earlier, but I suspect we won't see any collector booths go until next year.

They're probably just saving the already-enabled Presto entrances for last. The only one on that list right now is Don Mills. Maybe they'll do Union Station when it's closed April 1st/2nd, and the others will probably be done with half of an entrance at a time.

One day later, all of them are out of service.

fail.....

btw...why couldnt they just put another one where the clear barrier is...it seems like the dimensions can take 1 more or at the very least they could play with an inch here and there...

fail.....

btw...why couldnt they just put another one where the clear barrier is...it seems like the dimensions can take 1 more or at the very least they could play with an inch here and there...
Line of sight maybe because someone aoroching from the entrance wouldn't be able to see it behind the supporting collum.

Back