News   Apr 16, 2024
 35     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.2K     5 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

I may have just missed it being posted here, but Pape's secondary exit has re-opened with the Presto gates.

It is now a secondary entrance as well as an exit, which is quite useful.

Does anybody know the status of the full height fare gates at the east end of the concourse at Kennedy Station? There was a sign saying their removal and replacement was to begin on February 3rd. Can anyone confirm this?

Does anybody know the status of the full height fare gates at the east end of the concourse at Kennedy Station? There was a sign saying their removal and replacement was to begin on February 3rd. Can anyone confirm this?
It's on the front of the TTC web page.

Kennedy Station’s second exit
Kennedy Station’s second exit will be closed from 10 p.m. February 3 until the end of March for PRESTO construction. During this time please use the main entrance.​

Second 'exits' was the stupidest concept in the universe. Agree with nfitz 1000%.
I though they all had to do with fire codes and emergency egress in stations that didn't have them or only had one entrance. Also on the topic of secondary entrances/ exits I notice the one on the westbound platform at Victoria park has all of the presto wiring in place they just need to remove the old gates and put in the new ones there.

Second 'exits' was the stupidest concept in the universe. Agree with nfitz 1000%.

The building code requires TWO exits.

See link.

In response to modern fire safety codes, the TTC has an ongoing program to add secondary exits at many subway stations. Note that these must be completely separate paths out of the station. Two stairways leading to a common mezzanine count as one exit because a fire in the common area could block access to the surface from platform level.

As an example, the new exits at Broadview take a path up to the bus and streetcar loop that is not connected to the original path up to the main entrance.

... is the ttc still pursuing second exits beyond the existing construction? The site has not been updated since 2016.

... is the ttc still pursuing second exits beyond the existing construction? The site has not been updated since 2016.
They really have no choice, it's Code requirement. I assume they are looking at all other stations and once they get on with the ones they now have $$ to do they will pick a few more. 2016 was only 5 weeks ago!

They really have no choice, it's Code requirement. I assume they are looking at all other stations and once they get on with the ones they now have $$ to do they will pick a few more. 2016 was only 5 weeks ago!

I typoed - ment to say 2015. It also says only 14 stations need a second exit at this point.

IMG_2666.JPG
The secondary entrance to Royal York station at Grenview was opened today. Some work is remaining, but the gates are open. Sure is a lot more airy than the old floor to ceiling turnstiles !

- Paul

Attachments

• IMG_2666.JPG
    IMG_2666.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 627
View attachment 98157 The secondary entrance to Royal York station at Grenview was opened today. Some work is remaining, but the gates are open. Sure is a lot more airy than the old floor to ceiling turnstiles !

- Paul
I think we are going to be noticing that with alo of the changes to the old high gates now that they are moving to removing them.

The secondary entrance to Royal York station at Grenview was opened today. Some work is remaining, but the gates are open. Sure is a lot more airy than the old floor to ceiling turnstiles !

- Paul

Same with the Delaware entrance to Ossington station. It was kind of claustrophobic before with the old high gates, and now it's downright spacious. The growing pains with these gates have been frustrating (I don't know how many trains I've missed because they're broken or people don't know how they work), but making these exits into entrances and opening up the space is an unqualified win.

Same with the Delaware entrance to Ossington station. It was kind of claustrophobic before with the old high gates, and now it's downright spacious. The growing pains with these gates have been frustrating (I don't know how many trains I've missed because they're broken or people don't know how they work), but making these exits into entrances and opening up the space is an unqualified win.
Not to mention getting dogs and bikes through them, in either direction.

How many times have people walked the length of a platform thinking "This is more direct" only to find you can't get a dog or bike, let alone both, through the 'barrier'? (I refer to the stations where the secondary exit is mostly unmanned, and had the rotary cage with bars that could damage you in sensitive places as they turned like a torture device. I will give them this, they kept away the elephants. "Elephants" you ask? Well yes, have you seen any elephants roaming on the subway? Only at the zoo. So they must be working...

Back