News   Apr 19, 2024
 45     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 728     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 6.9K     2 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

Not many cows got through this cow gate at Osgoode Hall. Must also be working.
lol...or elephants. At least that gate isn't ratcheted like the 'rotors of death' at some TTC exits. Once stuck in them, there's not only no way out, there's no-one there to let you out!

I don't have a pic handy, but if anyone does, please post so others know what the point is. Ossington used to or still does have one at the west end exit, but they used to be everywhere.

Here we go:
subway-5305-08.jpg

Weren't these banned under the Geneva Convention?

upload_2017-2-9_13-21-46.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-9_13-21-46.png
    upload_2017-2-9_13-21-46.png
    539 KB · Views: 504
Last edited:
The second exit/ entrance at McCown is now open with two Presto gates and one metropass gate. Alos I noticed that in both of the free transit newspapers Metro Today and 24 the TTC and Metrolinks have a half page ad for Presto telling everyone that Ticket and tokens and apses will be used until the end of the year.

Last edited:
The second exit/ entrance at McKown is now one with two prsti gates and one metropass gate. Alos I noticed that in both of the free transit newspaper Metro Today and 24 the TTC and Metrolinks have a half page add for preto telling everyone that Ticket and tokens aopnd apses wuill be used until the end of the year.
Maybe time to do some proof-reading before you post? Your contributions are getting harder to piece together!

Unfortunately things don't seem to be peachy keen with the gates per reports like this one on Twitter to the TTC and Presto: https://twitter.com/PRESTOcard/status/839871480137678848

C6c7uedXMAAkaXH.jpg:large

All gates at Bay's Cumberland entrance were OOS yesterday according to this individual. Easy to believe as I've generally seen 2-3 out of service at all times since they were installed, which was well over 6 months ago. I think that at least one gate has been broken and stuck open continuously since the day they were opened to the public. I'd wonder at the lost revenue at this entrance alone over these many months, and no fix in sight since this has been frequently reported for months now. Are they planning to just leave them broken permanently?

The new gates have been ridiculously unreliable, and I'm betting the TTC or Metrolinx will end up having to completely replace them all.

FWIW some of the original electromechanical turnstiles from the 50's and 60's (made by Beaver Vending) worked reliably for decades.

The new gates have been ridiculously unreliable, and I'm betting the TTC or Metrolinx will end up having to completely replace them all.

FWIW some of the original electromechanical turnstiles from the 50's and 60's (made by Beaver Vending) worked reliably for decades.

Yikes, and Ottawa is currently planning to use the same model of faregate, with Presto, for their 2 LRT lines.

While I understand there's some difference in complexity, though not necessarily that much overall, it's alarming to realize that I have literally never seen a turnstile out of order (I'm not saying it's never happened, just in 20 years of regular visits to the city/subway travel including a few years of living downtown I don't recall seeing it) but I don't think I've ever been to an entrance with faregates at any station and not seen at least one out of order, usually more.

The initial Presto readers for GO, YRT, MiWay, etc. seemed to be fairly reliable, but goodness, the new self-serve reload kiosks and similar streetcar single-ride vending machines, the "upgraded" GO TVMs with Presto functionality, the faregates, and the 2nd-generation readers rolled out on OCTranspo and on TTC buses/streetcars and turnstiles, the new fare inspection devices for TTC/UPX vs the old GO/Viva ones have been awful...a few years ago they piloted new Presto readers at College and Dundas that took Visa/Mastercard/Interac Flash right there on the same Presto reader, and they only had 2 or 3 in total, and even those prototypes worked when I tried them! What happened?

My unscientific impression is that the wide ones seem to fail more frequently than the regular widths. More potential for unexpected mishaps, with strollers and the like?

I wonder what the warranty period is, and does the vendor have expertise on site, or what training have TTC mechanical forces had?

The old ones were pretty reliable. I certainly recall some that were balky about accepting tokens, but otherwise I can only think of one or two over the decades that were taped off as 'do not use'. I have given a few some hard shots over the years, and that seemed to free them up. Haven't had the nerve to smack any of the new ones. As with most electronic devices, I bet that a power off/reboot cycle clears 95% of the problems.

- Paul

My unscientific impression is that the wide ones seem to fail more frequently than the regular widths. More potential for unexpected mishaps, with strollers and the like?

I wonder what the warranty period is, and does the vendor have expertise on site, or what training have TTC mechanical forces had?

The old ones were pretty reliable. I certainly recall some that were balky about accepting tokens, but otherwise I can only think of one or two over the decades that were taped off as 'do not use'. I have given a few some hard shots over the years, and that seemed to free them up. Haven't had the nerve to smack any of the new ones. As with most electronic devices, I bet that a power off/reboot cycle clears 95% of the problems.

- Paul
The New gaters are like any new technology they come with a learning curve were poel will learn how top use them plus they will be adjusted to fit the needs of the people using them.

I'm pretty sure that it's not that the gates themselves are unreliable.

I regularly see gates that worked in the morning out of service in the evening, or vice versa. And frequently when this is the case, the gates have been opened unevenly, which seems to indicate to me that they were forced open. A gate that fails will leave its door leaves closed. And yes Paul, to my unscientific eye it looks like the wider ones are more likely than not to be the culprits.

On the bright side, and again to my unscientific eye, I have noticed a markedly lower number of red "X"s this week.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

All gates at Bay's Cumberland entrance were OOS yesterday according to this individual.

I see three out of four gates in that picture that you would be able to walk through - the problem I've noticed is that a lot of them get stuck on the "wait" screen. Seems to me that it gets stuck thinking someone is currently walking through the gate. If you tap your card/swipe your pass on any gate with a green arrow it'll work, regardless of whether it has the green "go" screen or the white "wait". The only gates that can't be used are the red "not in service" screen.

the problem I've noticed is that a lot of them get stuck on the "wait" screen. Seems to me that it gets stuck thinking someone is currently walking through the gate. If you tap your card/swipe your pass on any gate with a green arrow it'll work, regardless of whether it has the green "go" screen or the white "wait".
I have also noticed that.

My card got declined on the 70 bus this morning. Am I out of credit? Who knows, because there is no balance checker on board or fare loader at Coxwell so I will have to check at King later. Fortunately I carry emergency tokens.

Back