News   Apr 26, 2024
 231     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 714     0 

TTC: New Fare Gate Installation

P23

Member Bio
Reaction score
There doesn't appear to be a thread specifically for the new fare gate installations and since there are quite a few stations having them installed now I thought it would be helpful to have it all laid out in one place.

MpHT4yo.jpg

From: http://transit.toronto.on.ca/archives/weblog/2016/03/20-ttc_has_in.shtml

Fare Gate Installation Status

• *Bathurst
  • *Bay - Operating (Spring 2016)
  • Bayview - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • Bessarion - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • *Bloor-Yonge
  • *Broadview
  • Castle Frank - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • Chester - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • Christie - Operating (Summer 2016)
  • *College
  • Coxwell - Operating (Winter 2017)
  • *Davisville
  • *Don Mills
  • Donlands - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • *Downsview - Operating (Winter 2017)
  • Dufferin - Operating (Summer 2016)
  • *Dundas
  • *Dundas West
  • *Dupont - Operating (Summer 2016)
  • Eglinton - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • Eglinton West - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • Ellesmere - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • *Finch
  • Glencairn - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • Greenwood - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • High Park - Installing (Summer 2016)
  • *Islington
  • Jane - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • Keele - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • Kennedy - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • *King
  • *Kipling
  • *Lansdowne - Operating (Summer 2016)
  • Lawrence - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • Lawrence East - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • Lawrence West - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • Leslie (Fall 2016)
  • *Main Street - Operating (Spring 2016)
  • McCowan - Oprating (Fall 2016)
  • Midland - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • *Museum
  • North York Centre - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • Old Mill - Operating (Summer 2016)
  • *Osgoode
  • Ossington - Operating (Summer 2016)
  • Pape - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • *Queen
  • *Queen's Park
  • Rosedale - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • Royal York - Operating (Summer 2016)
  • Runnymede - Operating (Summer 2016)
  • *Scarborough Centre
  • *Sheppard-Yonge
  • *Sherbourne - Operating (Spring 2016)
  • *Spadina
  • *St Andrew
  • *St Clair - Operating (Summer 2016)
  • St Clair West - Installing (Summer 2016)
  • *St George
  • *St Patrick
  • Summerhill - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • *Union
  • Victoria Park - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • Warden - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • *Wellesley - Operating (Spring 2016)
  • Wilson - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • Woodbine - Operating (Fall 2016)
  • *York Mills
  • *Yorkdale
*Presto Readers Installed

Please feel free to correct anything that's not accurate, the TTC doesn't seem to have an official list of which are complete anywhere so I'm only going off eyewitness reports.

Last edited:
dufferin is almost done, the gates are in as of last Wednesday. Wouldn't be surprised if they are open now.

I don't know if it will be too much, but maybe you could also indicate somehow which stations haven't been upgraded, but do have Presto readers. Then the list could also show the overall Presto installation status.

I don't know if it will be too much, but maybe you could also indicate somehow which stations haven't been upgraded, but do have Presto readers. Then the list could also show the overall Presto installation status.

No problem, I marked those stations that have readers with an asterisk. I used this map for info, not sure how up to date it is: https://www.ttc.ca/PDF/Maps/Presto_ Station_Map.pdf

Dupont is 4 months behind schedule now. Was to suppose to be done Early April, then May 21st, then Spring 2016, then July 21st and now Summer 2016....

The entrances for Ossington Station (both the main entrance and the Delaware entrance) are under under construction. The main entrance is unable to sell any tickets or tokens until mid-August, when I assume the new fare gates will be operational.

So how are people liking the new gates so far? Anyone prefer the old ones?

I love them. Some people on twitter complain that they're laggy but I've never had any significant delay. For both entering via Presto, and for exiting via the motion sensor, they seem to me to be significantly faster to traverse, overall, than the faregates.

I find them much easier to move through--I'm a bigger guy, and I'm often carrying a pretty large laptop bag, and maybe a shopping bag; I often travel with a family member who brings around a 4-wheeled suitcase while downtown to carry their laptop and other supplies to various meetings, and getting through the turnstiles was very difficult for them, the gates (even the non-accessible ones) are more than large enough to make it a complete non-issue.

Can't wait for them to replace everything with them. Not to mention that the spotty Presto coverage was absolutely absurd, and terrible from a customer service standpoint--it's way, way, way past time that Presto was universally available. And having it available at, say St. George's bedford entrance but not St. George was even dumber--those situations, and at King's Melinda/PATH entrance, etc. really need to go.

So how are people liking the new gates so far? Anyone prefer the old ones?
I walk too fast and always have to stop myself for a sec before I slam into them as they take a second to open. This was not a problem with turnstiles. I always grab the turnstile with my hand in case it didn't turn. Saves me the pain when that does happen.

There doesn't appear to be a thread specifically for the new fare gate installations and since there are quite a few stations having them installed now I thought it would be helpful to have it all laid out in one place.
*Presto Readers Installed

Please feel free to correct anything that's not accurate, the TTC doesn't seem to have an official list of which are complete anywhere so I'm only going off eyewitness reports.

Would it be helpful to indicate stations where Presto readers are installed but they're at a secondary entrance rather than the main one? For example, St George still has turnstiles and no readers at the main St George entrance, but it has the readers at the Bedford entrance.

Back