News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 627     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

HWY 410 extension from Sandalwood Pkwy to Mayfield Rd + more

Unlikely since there's many homes that front on to Hwy 10. I guess the MTO could pull a Hwy 11 Barrie-Huntsville job, but that seems unlikely.

Since there's no heavy development Hwy 10 in Caledon is free-flowing. If they want to increase capacity they just need to widen it to 4 lanes all the way to Orangeville, if that isn't happening already.

Unlikely since there's many homes that front on to Hwy 10. I guess the MTO could pull a Hwy 11 Barrie-Huntsville job, but that seems unlikely.

Since there's no heavy development Hwy 10 in Caledon is free-flowing. If they want to increase capacity they just need to widen it to 4 lanes all the way to Orangeville, if that isn't happening already.

The only remaining chokepoint is through Caledon Village, which is getting upgraded as we speak (well, not at 11:30 at night, but you get the idea).

press release for highway 10 (august 07)
McGuinty Government Expands Highway 10

Improvements Will Make Road Safer, More Efficient

CALEDON, ON, Aug. 30 /CNW/ - The McGuinty government is making Highway 10
a safer, more efficient route for the residents and businesses of Orangeville
and Caledon, Transportation Minister Donna Cansfield announced today.
"Over 22,000 drivers travel this busy section of highway every day," said
Cansfield. "Making the necessary improvements now will help address today's
traffic congestion and safety issues while preparing the community for
tomorrow's growth."
Improvements to Highway 10 include:
<<
- Adding two new lanes - one in each direction - for 7.7 kilometres
between Caledon Village and Highway 9
- Repaving the existing lanes for a smoother drive
- Creating a continuous left-turn lane and adding right-turn lanes at
four intersections to improve traffic flow
- Repairing and widening the Credit River South Bridge and replacing
the Credit River North Bridge
- Installing better lighting at four intersections.
>>

The $23-million contract was awarded to Graham Brothers Construction of
Brampton and should be complete by 2009. Construction will be completed in
stages, with short-term lane closures to minimize disruption to drivers.
Highpoint Sideroad will be temporarily closed for about one month for repairs.
Signs will be posted in advance to notify drivers of these closures, and
temporary traffic signals will guide drivers through construction areas.
Engineering consultants are currently preparing designs to widen Highway
10 from two to four lanes, plus additional left-turn lanes, through Caledon
Village. Pending the acquisition of all required properties, this second
project is expected to begin next spring.
"The McGuinty government is delivering on its commitment to build safe
and reliable highways to meet the needs of our growing rural communities,"
added Cansfield. "Better roads improve safety, create jobs, encourage economic
growth and keep communities strong."
Since 2003, the McGuinty government has committed $6.3 billion in
highways, roads and bridges and invested $4.9 billion in public transit,
including over $1.8 billion in GO Transit.

Well there we go. Thanks.

I remember them moving some buildings in Caledon Village to they could widen the road through there. A better option than a bypass, IMO.

Thought I'd give this a rather substantial bump.

Phase III ought to be within weeks of completion, no? Can any Bramptonians give us an update, or possibly point us in the direction of some pictures?

Thought I'd give this a rather substantial bump.

Phase III ought to be within weeks of completion, no? Can any Bramptonians give us an update, or possibly point us in the direction of some pictures?

I would agree with this statement, as I live in the neighbourhood at the end. I can tell you that Highway 410 is closed beyond of Sandalwood Parkway, presumable to reconfigure the offramps so that Mayfield Road is no longer the end of the Highway.

I can also tell you that the Valleywood Blvd exit is pretty much complete, but the connection between Valleywood Blvd and Hurontario Street still needs work. Also, the connection between the end of the highway extension and the start of highway 10 also needs work. To do this they have to close the intersection of Hurontario & Snelcrest, so it cannot be completed until Valleywood Blvd is open again.

As you can see in this image here, traffic coming south from Caledon will now be forced onto the highway. If they want to continue further south into Brampton they will have to exit onto Valleywood Blvd and make a right onto Hurontario Street. Traffic coming north on Hurontario will have to turn onto Valleywood Blvd for a short time before they can take the onramp onto the highway and continue north into the hills. The current alignment of Hurontario will be demoted into a service road to serve the private school just north of my neighbourhood.

The benefit for me is that the heavy truck traffic from Caledon will now be diverted away before it gets to my neighbourhood. Because they are also putting in sidewalks, this will improve pedestrian and cycling access to Valleywood - something I've been advocating for a decade and something I've had to settle for because my residents association feels that transit will cause people to build illegal basement apartments. I'm not making that part up.

Last edited:
I would agree with this statement, as I live in the neighbourhood at the end. I can tell you that Highway 410 is closed beyond of Sandalwood Parkway, presumable to reconfigure the offramps so that Mayfield Road is no longer the end of the Highway.

I can also tell you that the Valleywood Blvd exit is pretty much complete, but the connection between Valleywood Blvd and Hurontario Street still needs work. Also, the connection between the end of the highway extension and the start of highway 10 also needs work. To do this they have to close the intersection of Hurontario & Snelcrest, so it cannot be completed until Valleywood Blvd is open again.

As you can see in this image here, traffic coming south from Caledon will now be forced onto the highway. If they want to continue further south into Brampton they will have to exit onto Valleywood Blvd and make a right onto Hurontario Street. Traffic coming north on Hurontario will have to turn onto Valleywood Blvd for a short time before they can take the onramp onto the highway and continue north into the hills. The current alignment of Hurontario will be demoted into a service road to serve the private school just north of my neighbourhood.

The benefit for me is that the heavy truck traffic from Caledon will now be diverted away before it gets to my neighbourhood. Because they are also putting in sidewalks, this will improve pedestrian and cycling access to Valleywood - something I've been advocating for a decade and something I've had to settle for because my residents association feels that transit will cause people to build illegal basement apartments. I'm not making that part up.

I live a bit further south and we have been looking forward to this opening for a long time as it will now allow trucks to use all of the 410....you will recall that the residents around Sandalwood held up the opening of the last extension until it was agreed that trucks would still be forced to exit at Bovaird and head west to 10....so there is an unatural amount of truck traffic on the stretch of Bovaird from 410 to 10.

Last time I drove by it certainly looked like they were prepping for opening.....although it might get delayed while we await the correct politicians for the ribbon cutting and back slapping ;)

Because they are also putting in sidewalks, this will improve pedestrian and cycling access to Valleywood - something I've been advocating for a decade and something I've had to settle for because my residents association feels that transit will cause people to build illegal basement apartments. I'm not making that part up.

But they are okay with sidewalks? What if the sidewalks attract illegal basement tenants who like to walk??

But they are okay with sidewalks? What if the sidewalks attract illegal basement tenants who like to walk??

That came up once. The solution proposed was "gated community". I hope it was tongue in cheek, but nothing surprises me in this neighbourhood anymore.

That came up once. The solution proposed was "gated community". I hope it was tongue in cheek, but nothing surprises me in this neighbourhood anymore.

My only experience with the neighbourhood was a lady I used to work with bought a home there.....it surprised me because I thought the homes were beyond the income level we were at.....I asked her and she said something along the lines of "we got a great deal because the home backs on to the projected off ramp of that highway extension"....when I asked if she was concerned about having that in her backyard she said "we know lots of people in the neighbourhood and we are all going to band together and stop the highway".

Just one little anecdotal story but it sorta gave me the impression of a very self important attitude.....thankfully they lost the move to stop the highway (even if you hate highways you gotta think that people have very little right to stop one that was planned way before they moved in?) but that conversation always stuck with me.

The key thing was that the highway has been on the books for a very long time. The developer failed to inform perspective buyers is the sense that I'm getting, but I don't think that anyone can say we were railroaded.

For the record, I do not represent the sentiments people of the artificial community known as Valleywood. I hope I've made that quite clear in case anyone complains. I care, just in a "I need to save you from yourselves" kind of way. :)

The current alignment of Hurontario will be demoted into a service road to serve the private school just north of my neighbourhood.

Why can't the school just be serviced via the street opposite it's entrance? Seems natural to me.

BTW, my sister teaches there!

My only experience with the neighbourhood was a lady I used to work with bought a home there.....it surprised me because I thought the homes were beyond the income level we were at.....I asked her and she said something along the lines of "we got a great deal because the home backs on to the projected off ramp of that highway extension"....when I asked if she was concerned about having that in her backyard she said "we know lots of people in the neighbourhood and we are all going to band together and stop the highway".

Just one little anecdotal story but it sorta gave me the impression of a very self important attitude.....thankfully they lost the move to stop the highway (even if you hate highways you gotta think that people have very little right to stop one that was planned way before they moved in?) but that conversation always stuck with me.

Good Grief!!!! It's unbelievable that such an attitude exists. Then again we have the island residents and the WCC...

Why can't the school just be serviced via the street opposite it's entrance? Seems natural to me.

BTW, my sister teaches there!

Because that street is going to be closed. Intersections on a 400 series highway don't work too well!

Back