News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 568     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

HWY 410 extension from Sandalwood Pkwy to Mayfield Rd + more

Thanks for the rant. I would be just as angry of a man if I had to live there. No, wait... I sorta DID live there (well, Caledon anyway). It feels so good to have left it all behind. Are you commuting from there to downtown? Ouch.

I see to remember the big sun in the Valleywood sign being neon and the rest being backlit. When did they take that thing down? Were they worried that it was attracting vagrants?

But seriously.... do people actually think that people get in to cars, DRIVE to Valleywood, vandalize something, then drive back home?

I decided to remove some of the more inflammatory language from my rant, and apologize to anyone offended.

I am commuting to downtown, which is fine on weekdays, but weekends requires me to drive to the subway.

As far as I can remember, the sign was in poor condition due to vandalism and neglect. The sign wasn't owned by the town, and I doubt the developer was willing to deal with it, their project being complete.

My father attends VRA meetings regularly, and one lady had said that she believed teenager from Brampton were coming into the area at night and were responsible for the soccer goals being knocked down fairly frequently.

Great rant!

I lived on the south side of Brampton (near Shoppers World) until a year and a half ago, and had an inkling about what was going on in Valleywood, which had a fire station, that porta-library and nothing else. Didn't people realize that the empty entrance into Valleywood was to accomodate the 410?

A Wal-Mart Supercentre at 10 and Valleywood, in the greenest community in Ontario? You've got to be pulling my leg!

Great rant!

I lived on the south side of Brampton (near Shoppers World) until a year and a half ago, and had an inkling about what was going on in Valleywood, which had a fire station, that porta-library and nothing else. Didn't people realize that the empty entrance into Valleywood was to accomodate the 410?

A Wal-Mart Supercentre at 10 and Valleywood, in the greenest community in Ontario? You've got to be pulling my leg!

Typical NIMBYism - "NO ONE TOLD ME ANYTHING... NO ONE SHOWD ME THE PLANS THAT HAVE BEEN PUBLIC RECORD SINCE 1993!!"

I wish I was pulling your leg about Wal-Mart. The property is owned by Smart Centres, which uses Wal-Marts as achors often. That's what the rumour says (and you know rumours), but I can say with 90% certainty that it will likely be big box.

yeah i remember back in 1999 when we where looking for a new home in Brampton, we went to Valley wood and told the guys that a highway would be running through...

Well the guy we were talking to left and no sales person approached us...

Yeah we told some people there and they left as well...

I am a Valleywood Resident, and I desperately want out. Most people are opposed to the highway, fearing property values will plumet, but I believe they will rise, as it will give the appearance of quicker transportation.

The Valleywood Residents Association is dysfunctional and offensive, with one member hoping that they find a native burial ground to halt construction, while another proposing that we become a gated community because it couldn't possibly be her children causing the vandalism. CDL.TO, you're right, we have no services, no schools, a library which used to be a portable - it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who's acting out due to sheer boredom.

It is approximately a three mile walk to the nearest Brampton Transit stop, and another mile or so to one that actually runs more frequently than every 30 minutes and runs past 7pm. I asked Caledon councillors if public transit would be in the cards, but the best proposal I got was to build a sidewalk to Brampton (which still hasn't been built). My guess is that the same "gated community" crowd is afraid that riftraft will take the bus into the nieghbourhood and corrupt their angelic children. It was the sidewalk comment that started my transit advocacy.

Did I mention that I wanted out?

So far, they are still grading the field where the highway will pass through, but as of today, they have erected two steel pillars. My guess is that these will be one of the supports for an overpass. The alignment is to come north from the current terminus at mayfield, swing west to parallel Mayfield Road, then swing back north to gently merge into highway 10 & Valleywood Blvd.

The Snelgrove farmers market has been shut down for several years now. It has moved to the Caledon Fairgrounds in Caledon Village. A trailer dealership and an auction house are all that remains.

Did I mention that we'll likely see a Wal-Mart on the northeast corner of Valleywood Blvd & 10? Did I mention that I wanted out?

The neon sign wasn't so much neon as it was backlit, but it was constantly getting vandalized, presumably by the same riftraft who rode the bus into the neighbourhood.

Anyway, thank you for giving me this opportunity to go on tirade about the neighborhood I loath. I hope my sarcasm wasn't too thick. I'll keep you all posted on 410 construction, and if you have any more questions, I'll be happy to answer.

I neglected to mention that due to being a starving student, I am stuck here for the time being. Life goes on I guess

They can always bring a rail line to Valleywood and introduce S-Bahn service:p

its a nice highway apart from the fact that they don't have barriers for the off ramps when the bend :confused:

Valleywood has been defined as a "growth node" in the Caledon Official Plan. In the meantime, though, it's certainly a pretty strange kind of orphan community, stuck basically in the middle of nowhere with no services. A lesson in how not to do sprawl.

...and there's barely a valley, and not much wood.

I wish I had read your rant sooner Rocket - before you cleaned it up.

I have little sympathy for those who bought along 410's future ROW and are now crying NIMBY. It makes no sense to me that anyone buying a house wouldn't check into why all that land beyond their backyards was being left vacant. What did they think it was being left for - fluffy bunnies?

Fluffy bunnies.

not to mention if you looked at community plans and saw a blank corridor of land, and draw a straight line northward from 410, you would logically think that that would be where a freeway might go in the future.

in Edmonton, the same thing happened, where the Outer Ring Road (highway) was planned, people are complaining about it now even though the corridor was set aside in the 1970s. Though the developers can be at fault because a lot of them labeled it as "Greenbelt" instead of "Transportation Corridor". Different there though because there was no highway there to begin with

Only problem is that the land we speak of isn't in a straight path from Hwy 410. It's two concession roads to the west, 410 takes a 90 degree curve to the west north of Mayfield Rd.

Valleywood has been defined as a "growth node" in the Caledon Official Plan. In the meantime, though, it's certainly a pretty strange kind of orphan community, stuck basically in the middle of nowhere with no services. A lesson in how not to do sprawl.

That's another problem I have.

The growth part neighbourhood will be mixed use with locally oriented businesses surrounded by lowish-density housing. Schools and other public uses are in the plan.

Sounds better, right?

According to the secondary plan, Valleywood as you see it now is "complete". All the growth will occur on the east side of the Etobicoke Creek, and there will be no vehicular acess to get from Valleywood to the growth area without taking Hurontario, Mayfield & Kennedy Road. There will be pedestrian paths, but they pass through the valley. During the winter, snow makes it impassible, and from most of the spring until late summer, the area is flooded from the spring thaw.

The Valleywood Residents Association has appealed the plan to the OMB - which is the only time I will ever recognize the legitimacy of those agencies.

Back