News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 392     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 984     1 

HWY 410 extension from Sandalwood Pkwy to Mayfield Rd + more

Re: HWY 410 extension from Sandalwood Pkwy to Mayfield Rd +

Please. Tell me he can't find something as cheap in Toronto as in Barrie. I know people who live in Barrie and work in the city. They spend half their time communting and the other half complaining about the traffic. No sympathy from me.

Maybe his wife works nowhere near Toronto. If both work far away from each other at least one is going to have a long commute.

I believe you need to find a careful balance in public transit and highway extensions. Focusing strictly on one is useless, as both serve largely different needs.

I believe you need to find a careful balance in public transit and highway extensions. Focusing strictly on one is useless, as both serve largely different needs.

Except that highways have been king for the past 30+ years while transit has struggled to receive any a pitance of funding at times.

By the way, how is the smog in Toronto today? Can you taste it in your mouth yet or will it take a few more weeks before it gets to that level? Perhaps it would be worth adding a few weeks to smog season for a slight bump in highway capacity?

With every rise in oil prices and ever extra smog day we see, highways make less and less sense. And with transit systems in this country that are shameful and inadequate, it doesnt take much to figure out which of the two is the best investment.

>>And with transit systems in this country that are shameful and inadequate, it doesnt take much to figure out which of the two is the best investment.<<

They are both in need of investment. The current balance of spending might not be ideal, but you cannot completely ignore one to focus solely on the other. I'm not suggesting transit expansion should be ignored altogether, but neither should highway expansion. There is no one end-all solution to our transportation problems.

The 410 is now open to Mayfield. The newest 5 kilometres of highway in Ontario!

Trucks are currently banned on 410 north of Bovaird, and probably will be until the extension is complete from Mayfield to Highway 10.

410-1.jpg

410-2.jpg

410-3.jpg

Right now, the 410 ends at the still 2-lane Mayfield Road. Note the spelling errors - one was corrected - the white signs said "410 Ends/Fins" (not "Fin"). Also note that at Bovaird and Mayfield, the standard regional/county road symbols (107 at Bovaird, formerly Hwy 7, and 14 at Mayfield) are not used.

410-4.jpg

410-12.jpg

The end. Turn left for "Highyway 10".

410-5.jpg

Southbound. Access from Mayfield is only eastbound right now.

410-8.jpg

410-9.jpg

Southbound ramp from Bovaird is unfinished, the removal of the old Heart Lake Road connection still underway.

410-13.jpg

The new Heart Lake Road diversion runs well to the west of the old Highway 7/Heart Lake Road intersection/interchange.

410-6.jpg

410-7.jpg

Lowe's store on NE corner, across the 410 from a Home Depot in Trinity Common.

410-11.jpg

*sniff*

So sad. End of an era. I can picture in my mind where that new Mayfield Rd interchange is... used to be a nice, big marshland there. Mayfield Rd should be super-congested now (it was already years ago without having a highway end at it). Can't stop progress.

I would have figured that at least a high school education was required for the MTO signmaker job. Or are they contracting it out to China now?

Thanks for the pics.

I was heading back to town via Mayfield yesterday and man, was it ever congested. There was a long line of cars waiting to get off the 410 and an even longer line of cars on Mayfield waiting now that the new signal is in with a very long permissable signal for vehicles turning onto Mayfield.

Like they've always said... new highways = new congestion

Also note that at Bovaird and Mayfield, the standard regional/county road symbols (107 at Bovaird, formerly Hwy 7, and 14 at Mayfield) are not used.

The lack of a "Formerly Hwy 7" sign is not really an error, since such "formerly" signs are only meant to be used for a few years after a road is renamed, etc.

Like they've always said... new highways = new congestion

So you think that the teminus at Bovaird and the illogical lack of connection to Hwy. 10 should have been kept?

The lack of a "Formerly Hwy 7" sign is not really an error, since such "formerly" signs are only meant to be used for a few years after a road is renamed, etc.

Not an error (unlike "410 Ends/Fins" or "Highyway 10"), but interesting. Usually the flowerpot symbols for numbered municipal roads are included in signage.

So you think that the teminus at Bovaird and the illogical lack of connection to Hwy. 10 should have been kept?

But now we've got a illogical (albeit temporary) terminus at Mayfield (a four lane freeway terminating at a two lane country road) and still no connection to 10. And a 400-series highway segment that bans trucks, which I find amusing.

But now we've got a illogical (albeit temporary) terminus at Mayfield (a four lane freeway terminating at a two lane country road) and still no connection to 10. And a 400-series highway segment that bans trucks, which I find amusing.

Patience... The connection to highway 10 will pass within a few hundred metres of my house soon enough...

Ah, you've indentified yourself as a Valleywood resident. What's the mood out there? I also notice the strip of land between where 410 will go and Mayfield is about to be developed. I'm almost surprised Brampton didn't pull a Mississauga here and take the sliver over, like Missy did with Milton on the east side of the 407.

No worries, the impending opening of the Red Hill Creek Expressway (November!) will satisfy my craving for driving on new, environmentally-damaging freeways for the time being.

He could be in that funny little subdivision that's in Snelgrove but north of the Brampton-Caledon border. Looking at Googlemaps, I'm amazed about how little space they left between that development and Valleywood. Valleywood's a pretty strange place as well. A fair size and there's nothing there... nothing! No stores, no schools, no public transit.

Have they started work on the Hwy 10 realignment/interchange yet? I also recall stories about the Snelgrove Farmer's Market being shut down because of the 410 extension, but it''s not even in the path. Looking at it, the path for the 410 extension is aligned pretty east-west... the conspiracy theorist in me says "413".

Does anyone else remember the Valleywood neon sign?

I am a Valleywood Resident, and I desperately want out. Most people are opposed to the highway, fearing property values will plumet, but I believe they will rise, as it will give the appearance of quicker transportation.

The Valleywood Residents Association is dysfunctional and offensive, with one member hoping that they find a native burial ground to halt construction, while another proposing that we become a gated community because it couldn't possibly be her children causing the vandalism. CDL.TO, you're right, we have no services, no schools, a library which used to be a portable - it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out who's acting out due to sheer boredom.

It is approximately a three mile walk to the nearest Brampton Transit stop, and another mile or so to one that actually runs more frequently than every 30 minutes and runs past 7pm. I asked Caledon councillors if public transit would be in the cards, but the best proposal I got was to build a sidewalk to Brampton (which still hasn't been built). My guess is that the same "gated community" crowd is afraid that riftraft will take the bus into the nieghbourhood and corrupt their angelic children. It was the sidewalk comment that started my transit advocacy.

Did I mention that I wanted out?

So far, they are still grading the field where the highway will pass through, but as of today, they have erected two steel pillars. My guess is that these will be one of the supports for an overpass. The alignment is to come north from the current terminus at mayfield, swing west to parallel Mayfield Road, then swing back north to gently merge into highway 10 & Valleywood Blvd.

The Snelgrove farmers market has been shut down for several years now. It has moved to the Caledon Fairgrounds in Caledon Village. A trailer dealership and an auction house are all that remains.

Did I mention that we'll likely see a Wal-Mart on the northeast corner of Valleywood Blvd & 10? Did I mention that I wanted out?

The neon sign wasn't so much neon as it was backlit, but it was constantly getting vandalized, presumably by the same riftraft who rode the bus into the neighbourhood.

Anyway, thank you for giving me this opportunity to go on tirade about the neighborhood I loath. I hope my sarcasm wasn't too thick. I'll keep you all posted on 410 construction, and if you have any more questions, I'll be happy to answer.

I neglected to mention that due to being a starving student, I am stuck here for the time being. Life goes on I guess

Thanks for the rant. I would be just as angry of a man if I had to live there. No, wait... I sorta DID live there (well, Caledon anyway). I'm trying to think of what would be worse, village of 200 people or middle-of-nowhere subdivision with 2,800 people in it. Hmmm... I think the subdivision would be worse. Still, it feels so good to have left it all behind. Are you commuting from there to downtown? Ouch.

I see to remember the big sun in the Valleywood sign being neon and the rest being backlit. When did they take that thing down? Were they worried that it was attracting vagrants?

But seriously.... do people actually think that people get in to cars, DRIVE to Valleywood, vandalize something, then drive back home?

Back