2.4K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 619     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.2K     1 

HWY 410 extension from Sandalwood Pkwy to Mayfield Rd + more

D

dziogo

Not sure if this is old news or not (i could not find it here) but this was posted on CP24 today. Delete it if this is old.. thx

www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/20060515-010/page.asp

When does more equal less?

When it comes to traffic in the G.T.A.

The McGuinty government has confirmed it plans to extend
Highway 410 from Sandalwood Parkway to Mayfield Road in
Brampton as a means to ease congestion on the
always-choked-off rush hour route.

Officials expect as many as 80,000 vehicles will traverse
the extra length every day, and the hope is to eventually
extend the thoroughfare all the way to Highway 10.

It’s the latest in a long series of road widening plans to
come from Queen’s Park.

The 410 project will cost taxpayers over $110 million when
it’s all said and done. But some critics fear it will never
really be done and that adding the extra space will simply
cause more gridlock.

It appears to be a classic case of if they build it, you will
come. And keep on coming.

On days when cars owners are looking to make the big
getaway up north – say the upcoming Victoria Day weekend
- things will be even worse than they are now.

“On average it takes me about an hour, an hour and a
quarter to get to work,†reveals Jason Ballantyne. “The
worst it's ever taken was three hours.†And that’s just from
Barrie to Thornhill.

He avoids the downtown insanity and it still takes that long.

“The 400 through the stretch of Barrie that I take, my
father used to take that when he was my age and things
really haven't changed that much.â€

But with the city expanding outwards like the Big Bang and
public transit systems caught in a never-ending cash
crunch, those who look towards the future are sure the
expansions are essential.

At least until we come up with something else.

“As we are growing in size in Toronto here, it's going to
take a longer time to get to where we need to go,†advises
Kris Barnier of C.A.A. Ontario. “And that's why we need to
do whatever we can to expedite these highway projects.â€

As for Ballantyne, he’s getting ready for the long weekend
by not going anywhere. He plans to telecommute to work
on Friday, using the information super highway to get
where he needs to be and not the city’s already overfilled
roads.

The government has committed to spending $1.4 billion
this year to complete a series of highway improvement
plans.

Some will get underway in 2006, while others are still off in
the distance. They include:

* Widening the 401 between the 410 and the Credit River

* Constructing new carpool lanes on Highway 404 and
the Q.E.W.

* Extending Hwy. 427 to Rutherford Rd.

* Adding more lanes to Highway 407 and one day
extending it further east.

May 15, 2006

EDIT: Enlarged the fonts to forum standard.

Re: HWY 410 extension from Sandalwood Pkwy to Mayfield Rd +

Owen Sound, here we come. And ultimately, maybe, that bridge to Manitoulin from Tobermory...

Highway 410 Extension Will Benefit Brampton And Caledon Resi

BRAMPTON, ON, May 15 /CNW/ - Construction to extend Highway 410 from Sandalwood Parkway to Mayfield Road in Brampton began today with an official groundbreaking ceremony.

"We're on the side of commuters," said Transportation Minister Harinder Takhar. "That's why the McGuinty government is investing in highways and transit across Ontario. We want to help move people and goods faster, create jobs and build a stronger economy. Highway 410 extension will be used by 60,000 to 80,000 vehicles a day and is one of the many ways the McGuinty government is helping commuters in Ontario."

Joining Transportation Minister Harinder Takhar at the construction site this morning were MPP for Brampton-Centre Linda Jeffrey, MPP for Brampton West-Mississauga Vic Dhillon, MPP for Bramalea-Gore-Malton-Springdale Dr. Kuldip Kular, Peel Regional Chair Emil Kolb and Mayor of the City of Brampton Susan Fennell.

Dufferin Construction Company of Oakville, Ontario was awarded Phase 2 of the project and is expected to start construction immediately.

"We've been waiting a long time for this day," said Linda Jeffrey, MPP for Brampton-Centre. "I can't wait to see construction equipment on site."

"The Highway 410 extension will improve highway access for local Brampton residents and support local businesses and families by improving traffic flow and reducing transportation costs. Brampton is one of the fastest growing communities in Ontario and this project is vital for future growth," said
Brampton Mayor Susan Fennell.

"The completion of the Highway 410 extension is important for the Region of Peel," said Peel Regional Chair Emil Kolb. "It is absolutely necessary to improve traffic flow for Brampton and Caledon residents and businesses."

"Quick, reliable and safe transportation is vital to our economic success and quality of life," added Takhar. "The new highway will be a faster route for residents of Brampton and Caledon which means they will spend less time in their cars and more time with their friends and family."

Highway 410 is being lengthened nine kilometres from Bovaird Drive in Brampton to Highway 10 in Caledon. The province has invested over $40 million to date on the new highway. Over $110 million in total will be spent over the next several years to complete the highway.

This year, the McGuinty government is investing over $1.4 billion in highway improvements through its five-year ReNew Ontario infrastructure investment plan. This investment will strengthen Ontario's economic advantage and create opportunities for Ontario businesses and people.

Source: Newswire

Just widen that road and all our traffic problems will be solved. I think I've heard that tune before.

Let's try a new one. Just crank up the price of gas and whoosh! Where did they all go?

Unfortunately, the 410 extension is needed at the moment. The trucks jam up the old Highway 7 and 10 intersection - these trucks include hundreds of quarry trucks, plus those serving Orangeville and industries north and west (such as Chapman Ice Cream). Trucks are banned from Heart Lake Road. Though without finishing it to Highway 10, the same problem will plague Mayfield.

It will enourage more sprawl in places like Orangeville, though. Caledon remains very anti-sprawl, but of the few areas that are designated for the development is around where the 410 will empty to Highway 10 north of Mayfield.

“On average it takes me about an hour, an hour and a
quarter to get to work,†reveals Jason Ballantyne. “The
worst it's ever taken was three hours.†And that’s just from
Barrie to Thornhill.

Maybe he should move a little closer to work. Moron.

If the GTA really was serious about stopping sprawl, they would not be building extensions like that.

I really don't like this extension because one of my favourite places in Brampton was knocked down for this extension, and thats the Snelgrove Flee Market. I always remember going to visit my aunt and uncle in Brampton, and spending a couple hours at that flee market with my dad. It was like so "Brampton" to me. And now its gone for a friggen highway.

I know the area this highway is going, because my aunt and uncle live off Sandlewood Parkway, and I remember how the 410 just ends and turns into Heart Lake Road.

Nice way to kill the nature scene in the Heart Lake Conservation area by ramming a highway next to it.

Maybe Brampton should try more of something called "public transit", instead of highway extensions.

This extension will bring the destruction of the wetlands along Heart Lake Rd north of Sandalwood Pkwy which is unfortunate but is business as usual. The wetlands to the south of Sandalwood have been completely destroyed and developed over the past decade.

BTW Mike, if you look at Google Maps you'll see that it's unlikely that Snelgrove Flea and Farmer's Market was shut down for the 410, as it's surrounded by housing on two sides. Unless they need it for some ramps, it may have just been a convienient excuse for the owners to sell the place. The fine folks at MapArt show the 410 extension curving north and meeting Hwy 10 in the "triangle" north of Valleywood Blvd.

Quote: "Owen Sound, here we come. And ultimately, maybe, that bridge to Manitoulin from Tobermory..."

Actually, if the 410 DID get extended north past Orangeville, it would likely go to Collingwood/Wasaga Beach instead. Much more demand because of rapid growth.

Maybe Brampton should try more of something called "public transit", instead of highway extensions.

1. This highway extension is not funded by Brampton.

2. This highway extension is only around 6km long.

3. Brampton has very few highways for its size.

4. Brampton is spending $90 million on BRT on highway 10 and Queen street.

Highways get $1.4 billion a YEAR. Toronto has to beg for money to get a $1 billion dollar subway every 20 years.

Stupidity.

Owen Sound, here we come. And ultimately, maybe, that bridge to Manitoulin from Tobermory...

Is a bridge even possible? According to my map program, it would have to be at least 30-40 km long!

Hey, don't think I wasn't being facetious. And ultimately, this devil ought to go all the way to Moosonee...

Maybe he should move a little closer to work. Moron.

Ouch, Ed. I think your comment is very mean.

Did you ever think that maybe this guy may not have much choice in where he can live and work. Some people are forced to live in places far from work because they are priced out of neighbourhoods nearer to their employers. Also, sometimes people have to work far from home because they can't find an employer for their line of work that is nearby. Not everyone is free to live and work wherever they please.

Back