News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.9K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 422     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

HWY 410 extension from Sandalwood Pkwy to Mayfield Rd + more

I have wanted this to open for a while as I always assumed that it would ease the exit ramp at Bovaird considerably.

Up until now, trucks had to exit at Bovaird because they weren't allowed to exit at either Sandalwood or Mayfield.......this lead to the exit ramp @ Bovaird being a congested nightmare as northbound trucking had to exit, turn left and then head over to 10/Main/Hurontario!

Based on the limited sample of 1 night....all I can say is WooHoo!....my left turn exit off of the 410 last night took 1 light...not 3/4 as it normally does.

Now...it could just be that last night was a light traffic night....but so far so good!!

There may still be more trucks on the Bovaird ramp than the eventual reduction you'll see: the Trucks must exit to Bovaird sign was still up yesterday afternoon at least.

The extension is like the portion north of Bovaird: Ontario Tall Wall median (no grass), but it has an even narrower Right-of-Way, and feels like a junior expressway as a result, what Italians would label a raccordo autostradale as opposed to a full-fledged autostrada. The Speed limit drops to 90 km/h just north of the Countryside Drive bridge, and then to 80 km/h just west of the Kennedy Road bridge, but it was al easy peasy at 118km/h.

This addition to the road network will be a major boon to those heading northwest of the city: getting from the 410 over to 10, no matter which road one took, was always a hassle.

It drops to 80 about 1 km before swinging north onto original 10: it's just Ontario being extremely conservative in regard to speed limits, preparing drivers for the undivided highway up ahead.

Typically though, most traffic moves at 100 km/h on Highway 10 through Caledon.

It's the drop to 90 just north of Countryside Drive that I think is even sillier.

An 80 Km speed limit on a 400 series highway??

The 406 through central St. Catharines is 80 km/h because of the tight turns as it weaves through the creek valley.

Another really conservative speed limit is 90km/h on Highway 7/8 west of Kitchener, where it's a very wide ROW with full grade separations and a 400-series highway standard, apart from somewhat narrow shoulders.

The 406 through central St. Catharines is 80 km/h because of the tight turns as it weaves through the creek valley.

Another really conservative speed limit is 90km/h on Highway 7/8 west of Kitchener, where it's a very wide ROW with full grade separations and a 400-series highway standard, apart from somewhat narrow shoulders.

The 403 has a 90 limit where the highway curves around Coote's Paradise and crosses over the canal connecting Coote's to the Harbour. The danger is magnified here as an overpass makes it a blind curve and there is no shoulder to the road at all on the bridge.

I once came around that curve at 100 (and something) and was surprised with car that had spun out directly ahead that was now stopped and facing directly at me. I hit the brakes, weaved around the car and then got the hell out of there. I vividly remember the horified look on the other driver's face.

If you drive by, you can see the barriers on both sides of the road are covered in scuff marks and paint chips, so scrapes and brushes on them must be a regular occurance.

Interestingly, that was also the spot of a disaster when the rail bridge collapsed and a passenger train fell into the canal.

It used to be 100 km/hr, like the entire Conestoga Expressway, but it got dropped to 90 km/hr after one too many coronor's inquest. However the problem was the section from Lancaster to Fischer-Hallman with the narrow median and no barrier;not the newer sections east of Fischer-Hallman.

from the new Google Earth imagery update (31 Aug 2009)

4198852018_79248354a1_o.jpg

On a related note, here's the Mayfield West Secondary Plan

4198107963_9ef075dbcb_o.jpg

Last edited:
I was going to say, "Pics or it didn't open!" but I don't need to now. :)

Last edited:
Valleywood residents still coping with Hwy. 410 problems
Thursday January 14 2010
By Matthew Strader, Enterprise Staff
http://www.caledonenterprise.com/news/article/84636

Caledon council heard a new round of complaints about Highway 410 going through Valleywood at Tuesday’s meeting.

Valleywood resident Mauro Martini delegated council to address what he explained were post-construction complaints about the highway. A new twist on what has long been a contentious issue for Caledon’s council.

Since the design for the Highway 410 extension was brought to the public, Councillors have been hearing worries about noise from the construction, disruption of homes, and loss of property value.

On Tuesday, Martini told council that since the road has opened, things have not gotten better.

“My home is on the south side of Valleywood,” explained Martini. “When I bought the home I was advised of the highway, and was told that Caledon and the Province would do all they could to mitigate the noise and disruption, and I accepted that.”

Martini explained that he is in the trades field, and that he understands with construction comes disruption. His family did not complain, he said.

He purchased his home in 2002, and didn’t move in until 2004 because of the noise and disruption, he claimed.

And again, he did not complain.

Mr. Martini’s complaints stem from the fact that since the highway has opened, he said, things are very much the same.

Noise levels he thought would improve when the only vehicles he had to worry about were day-to-day traffic on the highway instead of construction vehicles building the highway, have maintained. His family is still disrupted. And while he is willing to do everything the Town and the Ministry of Transportation (MTO) suggest he fight the noise himself, he hopes that the Town can find a way to do more.

“The 11-foot fence has done nothing,” said Martini, in reference to a large fence built by the MTO to mitigate sound from the highway to his backyard. “In fact, when people come over to my house, all they do is comment on the size of it.”

Martini asked if any noise tests had been performed locally since the opening of the highway to see if the decibel levels in the backyards of Valleywood home owners are at an acceptable level with the present day traffic.

“I know noise disruption was tested for the construction period, I’m just wondering what has been done now?”

He also asked if plans for connected trailways and sidewalks were being followed through with.

“I understand that a community must strive to grow,” said Martini. “But when it inconveniences normal life?”

Regional Councillor Allan Thompson was able to provide Martini with some of his answers. He explained that the connected trailways and sidewalks were something he is working very hard to see through, and would not allow to be forgotten about, but that issues with land ownership are holding up work.

“To tell you the truth,” said Thompson. “You’re not going to see anything for a couple of years. But we are on it.”

Mayor Marolyn Morrison backed that statement up, saying that Councillor Thompson had been very focused at the Region (of Peel) on that issue, but neither could assure Martini on whether new sound testing had been done locally.

“They’re (MTO) assuring us that the levels are good,” said Thompson. “But I will ask public works if test can be done again. Here.”

Martini, who claimed to have spent $3,200 on new windows just to do what he could about the noise within his own home asked council about putting lights on off-ramps, reducing speed limits, and ensuring a constant police presence.

Thompson said that he had spoken with the MTO about many of these issues, and that more solutions are going to be seen soon. The test will be to see how effective that MTO work is.

“As far as speed, they won’t go below 80, I can tell you that,” Thompson said. “But they have told us they’re doing enhanced landscaping and are going to have full vegetation right to the highway. That should make some difference.”

Back