News   Mar 28, 2024
 101     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 230     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 2.3K     1 

YRT/Viva Construction Thread (Rapidways, Terminals)

this is new.... totally unexpected
This isn't new. It's been on their future projects map for years.
I find it ironic that they're placing it on the south side of Major Mack. If your destination is the hospital, you'll need to cross the street and walk about 250m.
They're going to convert the old Wonderland exit underpass to a pedestrian route, as you can see at the top right of the map.

I wonder why they don't call it "Canada's Wonderland Bus Terminal" as its on the south side of the street and CW will more likely generate more ridership than the hospital.

Probably because they don't want to give free naming rights to a commercial entity (although it would be nice if they paid for it).

Also, is this separate from the Jane/Major Mack terminal? Cause it's quite a detour for the 20 to stop here.

Probably because they don't want to give free naming rights to a commercial entity (although it would be nice if they paid for it).

Also, is this separate from the Jane/Major Mack terminal? Cause it's quite a detour for the 20 to stop here.

From page 10 of YRT's 2020 Transit Initiative, they both seem to be the same project. I made a note of the detour when filling in the survey for this service plan. I'm curious to know the ridership numbers for route 20 as I suspect a large portion of its ridership is coming from passengers connecting to it from other routes being that it is the only full service north to south route serving VMC. A couple of other north to south YRT routes connect to Pioneer Village station, but that means dealing with: traffic on Steeles, longer travel times and really terrible frequencies (the 20 has a higher frequency than VIVA orange). YRT also seem to be reflecting this in its 2020 service initiative as they plan to cut the 20's frequency north of Mackenzie to 30 minutes outside of rush hour. If it is the case where most passengers are connecting to the 20 from other bus routes, than I see the detour as a reasonable trade off to give a convenient transfer at the expense of extending travel times for those north of Mackenzie. But looking at the current state of bus service in this area, I only see route 4 and 20 serving this bus terminal so not sure if a bus terminal is really justified here unless YRT force feeds other bus routes into this terminal. North of Jane/Major Mackenzie is mainly just residential cul-de-sac's so I don't see a significant amount of ridership outside of rush hour. Could be wrong though, I don't live in the area so not too aware if the buses overcrowd in that particular section in the off-peak hours.

Last edited:
Wigwoss - Helen (east side)

Any idea if there is a YRT customer service counter in the terminal building? Are there presto reload machines?

The brown dirt part on the side of the road are raised bike lanes not yet paved right?
There are no customer service counter at the SmartCentres Place terminal. I went there yesterday.

Back