News   Nov 19, 2019
 2.6K     25 
News   Nov 19, 2019
 934     1 
News   Nov 19, 2019
 978     5 

YRT/Viva Construction Thread (Rapidways, Terminals)

Neutrino

Member Bio
Reaction score
What's in Allandale's post, it's not showing up on my screen

ViveleCanada

Member Bio
Reaction score
Any progress on the Smartcentres bus terminal? Coming up on 2 years now lol
The interior and exterior of the bus terminal seems pretty much done from the outside with all the plastic wrapping off the furnishing. The enclosed portion of the terminal has an assortment of: tables, chairs and ticket machines spread about and I believe I saw washrooms, which is strange since the main subway station already has washrooms outside the fare zone. They have also put in the blue digital next bus arrival system at each bus bay. They typically blast all the lights on inside and outside the terminal at night with the timber roof giving off a "warm" and "natural" look unlike the brutalist or metallic design of other terminals. Credit to the architect for making the building look so stunning at night. All the construction equipment has disappeared from the site and with the only activity being that of a pick up truck that will occasionally park inside the terminal. There is still a chain link fence around the terminals perimeter so there might be some structural issues to work out (or they forgot to remove it). Once the terminal opens, it should be a relief on the PUPD which is typically clogged during rush hour as the flow of YRT passengers crossing New Park Place hold cars hostage. A weird oddity is that the YRT installed a ticket machine at the temporary bus stop at VMC over the summer (not relevant to the terminal just wanted to include that). The YRT mentioned the terminal in its latest MyTransit pamphlet. https://www.yrt.ca/en/about-us/resources/SEPT_2019_MyTransit_web.pdf. I would take the "opening soon" with a pinch of salt given they have consistently pushed the opening for the terminal. I'll just hope the project doesn't turn into a mini-Brandenburg airport.

yrt+viva=1system

Member Bio
Reaction score
The interior and exterior of the bus terminal seems pretty much done from the outside with all the plastic wrapping off the furnishing. The enclosed portion of the terminal has an assortment of: tables, chairs and ticket machines spread about and I believe I saw washrooms, which is strange since the main subway station already has washrooms outside the fare zone. They have also put in the blue digital next bus arrival system at each bus bay. They typically blast all the lights on inside and outside the terminal at night with the timber roof giving off a "warm" and "natural" look unlike the brutalist or metallic design of other terminals. Credit to the architect for making the building look so stunning at night. All the construction equipment has disappeared from the site and with the only activity being that of a pick up truck that will occasionally park inside the terminal. There is still a chain link fence around the terminals perimeter so there might be some structural issues to work out (or they forgot to remove it). Once the terminal opens, it should be a relief on the PUPD which is typically clogged during rush hour as the flow of YRT passengers crossing New Park Place hold cars hostage. A weird oddity is that the YRT installed a ticket machine at the temporary bus stop at VMC over the summer (not relevant to the terminal just wanted to include that). The YRT mentioned the terminal in its latest MyTransit pamphlet. https://www.yrt.ca/en/about-us/resources/SEPT_2019_MyTransit_web.pdf. I would take the "opening soon" with a pinch of salt given they have consistently pushed the opening for the terminal. I'll just hope the project doesn't turn into a mini-Brandenburg airport.
My understanding with regards to the ticket machines is to help alleviate the bus loading time. Specifically the 20 Jane route with everyone heading towards Vaughan Mills and Wonderland. They instituted all doors boarding at VMC to quicken the loading with VIVA Fare Inspectors checking for valid fares at the rear doors; pre-purchase your fare beforehand. So buy your tickets before if you’re paying cash/credit or debit and let those paying with Presto enter from the front doors.

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
thats actually a regression pic... we had EMUs back then on yonge st. now were stuck with cars and buses...
I'm not sure how you can consider a single streetcar every hour or two a regression compared to the 15 minute and better service that exists today.

Dan

cplchanb

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm not sure how you can consider a single streetcar every hour or two a regression compared to the 15 minute and better service that exists today.

Dan
Rail regardless of frequency is the higher order of transit. It's like the downgrade of ontatio northland rail from union station to buses. I would coin that as a regression

smallspy

Member Bio
Reaction score
Rail regardless of frequency is the higher order of transit. It's like the downgrade of ontatio northland rail from union station to buses. I would coin that as a regression
Maybe if you're a fanboi.....

But to the people who actually take the service, that is most certainly not the case.

Dan

cplchanb

Member Bio
Reaction score
Maybe if you're a fanboi.....

But to the people who actually take the service, that is most certainly not the case.

Dan
I would invite you to ask any normal passerby what they think about this exact thing. I'd bet the majority of them would agree that replacing a train with a bus is a downgrade