News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 383     0 

YRT/Viva Construction Thread (Rapidways, Terminals)

How long are those gigantic wooden utility poles going to stick around for?

They're only been around recently, and I sure hope they aren't permanent.

It really does look great, I see it in person every day ; - ) ... very jealous and wish a similar treatment was used in the West Donlands for the sidewalk which would have added more colour then the grey paving stone look (which for Toronto is still decent ..).

All aspects of this project seem to be really high quality, from the stops, to the finishings, have to give them a lot of credit ... I honestly don't think it'll get a lot of usage, and in the end, be a waste of money (at least in the short term i.e. 20 years out) ... but that's beside the point.

Well, the Viva system (since its inception) has always been about trying to get the middle-class car driver to view public transit as a clean and real alternative to the car and not just some service for poor people (notion derived mostly from the States).

So while in the immediate short-term it might look underused, I wouldn't be surprised to see ridership really kick off in the next 5 years as traffic gets worse and drivers actually start seeing these buses zoom passed them while they're stuck in the car. Even more-so as more and more condos are being build along the 7 corridor. Less transfers, more likelihood for drivers to leave their cars at home and just take the Viva down the street.

That said, I don't see people in the corridor fringes (like 16th ave) leaving their car at home just because there is the Viva on 7. The awkward implementation of TTC buses on the north/south routes is just too convoluted for people to understand.

Well, the Viva system (since its inception) has always been about trying to get the middle-class car driver to view public transit as a clean and real alternative to the car and not just some service for poor people (notion derived mostly from the States).

So while in the immediate short-term it might look underused, I wouldn't be surprised to see ridership really kick off in the next 5 years as traffic gets worse and drivers actually start seeing these buses zoom passed them while they're stuck in the car. Even more-so as more and more condos are being build along the 7 corridor. Less transfers, more likelihood for drivers to leave their cars at home and just take the Viva down the street.

That said, I don't see people in the corridor fringes (like 16th ave) leaving their car at home just because there is the Viva on 7. The awkward implementation of TTC buses on the north/south routes is just too convoluted for people to understand.

In the meantime VIVA bleeds funding away from regular YRT routes.

In the meantime VIVA bleeds funding away from regular YRT routes.
I think most transit systems accept that some "premium" services have to be borne, even if loss making (like the Lake Shore West Express TTC bus) because of political considerations which get the votes required to expand the system generally.

I think most transit systems accept that some "premium" services have to be borne, even if loss making (like the Lake Shore West Express TTC bus) because of political considerations which get the votes required to expand the system generally.

Fair point, however, most of the time it is the busy routes (and the revenue they generate) that also tend to fund the lesser routes that are seen as key to network completeness. VIVA is framed as a premium service, yes, however there are also the busiest and supposedly most profitable routes in the network. Instead of VIVA being able to fund some less profitable routes it is actually draining funding away from them. A premium service that is also a net taker of funding is kind of silly.

As an analogy. The TTC subway tends to generate a ton of revenue, both in local walk in passengers and in the demand for connecting bus routes transfers, this revenue allows the ttc to run some less profitable local routes. Imagine if the Subway was a net loss and needed additional funding and that these local routes were being cut or reduced in order to fund the subway. Silly

Fair point, however, most of the time it is the busy routes (and the revenue they generate) that also tend to fund the lesser routes that are seen as key to network completeness. VIVA is framed as a premium service, yes, however there are also the busiest and supposedly most profitable routes in the network. Instead of VIVA being able to fund some less profitable routes it is actually draining funding away from them. A premium service that is also a net taker of funding is kind of silly.

As an analogy. The TTC subway tends to generate a ton of revenue, both in local walk in passengers and in the demand for connecting bus routes transfers, this revenue allows the ttc to run some less profitable local routes. Imagine if the Subway was a net loss and needed additional funding and that these local routes were being cut or reduced in order to fund the subway. Silly

Transit shouldn't be about profit, it's a public service and needs to provide that service to the people that need it. Although I realize that due to the paltry subsidy the TTC receives this isn't always possible.

As in their using it : - ) ... not starting work.

Question, the right of way ends at Town Center right (at least along Hi-way 7), so past Warden there is no viva on 7 correct ? I guess the #1 services that area though ? And viva is just to the south on enterprise ?

is it open already? I drove up Warden last week and while the red pavement was down (making a rough drive over the intersection as the final layer for the road had not yet been done), it still seemed a bit off from opening.

is it open already? I drove up Warden last week and while the red pavement was down (making a rough drive over the intersection as the final layer for the road had not yet been done), it still seemed a bit off from opening.

I haven't seen it myself but I've seen several people reporting the buses are indeed running in that section. A check of Twitter shows, yup, it's up:

https://twitter.com/vivaNext/status/503915079289815040

vivaNext
‏@vivaNext
Viva is in service on Hwy7 E centre-lane rapidway, east of East Beaver Crk. Customer service & signs @ each station to help passengers.

Pretty sure they're using it !!

BTW related to above, are they going to extend the streetscape finishing past Warden on 7 ? I don't think so ? I don't like how the UPTOWN condos meet Hi-way 7, its not great at all.

YRT is changing the schedule so that Viva Purple and Pink run every 15 minutes instead of 16. So the Rapidway reduced travel times by a minute each way? Will the schedule be tightened to take advantage of the faster operations (at least in peak periods)?

YRT is changing the schedule so that Viva Purple and Pink run every 15 minutes instead of 16. So the Rapidway reduced travel times by a minute each way? Will the schedule be tightened to take advantage of the faster operations (at least in peak periods)?

I bet that change has more to do with the typical back to school fall schedule changes than any rapidway induced reasons... For now. I sure hope they keep an eye on performance and tune things as needed.

I bet that change has more to do with the typical back to school fall schedule changes than any rapidway induced reasons... For now. I sure hope they keep an eye on performance and tune things as needed.

Nope, it is precisely because of the transitway. Trip times have been shortened between 3 and 8 minutes a run depending on the time of day.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back