News   Jul 26, 2024
 3     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 503     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 421     1 

Yonge-Dundas Pedestrian Scramble Implementation

The strangest thing is that just before and after the scramble phase, some of the pedestrian signals count down to zero then go right back to a 'walk' signal. They should just stay in the 'walk' signal.

The strangest thing is that just before and after the scramble phase, some of the pedestrian signals count down to zero then go right back to a 'walk' signal. They should just stay in the 'walk' signal.

Some drivers use the countdown to see if they can make through an intersection.

Went through it about 10 minutes ago and was surprised to see that everyone knew what was going on. I guess the police presence and media attention helped. Everyone but the drivers seemed to enjoy it... traffic is backed up to Church right now going west, and past Bay going east.

Went through it about 10 minutes ago and was surprised to see that everyone knew what was going on. I guess the police presence and media attention helped. Everyone but the drivers seemed to enjoy it... traffic is backed up to Church right now going west, and past Bay going east.

I wonder how many right-turners the police caught?

That's one thing that drivers in the GTA don't seem to get.
When the traffic is backed up to the intersection, you're supposed to wait until it's safe to continue before going through the intersection.

I was at this intersection 3 times today. The first time was at 8:10am and the policemen had just got there and were getting ready to start it up.

I was then there again at 11:30am. It seemed people were pretty reluctant to cross, but they figured it out eventually when they saw everyone else crossing diagonally. One lady came up to me and asked, "Who's coming?" since she saw media and police there. I think she thought some celebrity was coming. I explained to her that this diagonal crossing is new, but she didn't really get it.

I was meeting a friend at Yonge/Dundas and he got really confused by this. He stood there for about 10 seconds not expecting the walk sign to come up for another cycle.

I was there again at 6pm, and there was satellite trucks from CTV, Global and CityTV there. That was pretty interesting to see.

2807165155_86c78e2e11_o.jpg

2807165191_752522ce4f_o.jpg

^^^ That's awesome.

I saw some dudes dance a jig in the centre of the intersection, lol.

There's a scramble crossing in san diego somewhere along the main restaurant drag, and there was a newly-wed couple taking wedding photos in the middle of the intersection. It was amusing watching the bride run out into the intersection in her big, cumbersome dress whenever the cycle turned, pose, then scoot back onto the sidewalk, ad infinitum.

I'm glad that Toronto is trying this out... The one in Tokyo is amazing but I've noticed a big difference that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere yet:

The flow of Tokyo's appears so smooth because when crossing diagonally you can only go between two corners as opposed to all 4 at the same time like in Toronto.

In Toronto, won't there be a lot of awkward collisions in the centre? There is no "walk on the right side" sort of rule for this scenario yet.

"Pedestrians in Toronto are No. 1, not car drivers," Rae said. "Pedestrians come first." (Toronto Star, 29 Aug. 2008, page A6)

Really?

Then explain why there is no crosswalk on the east side of Bloor at Parliament, forcing pedestrians to detour around the intersection.

Here's my personal favourite:

There is no crosswalk on the south side of Charles East and Jarvis. A pedestrian on the south-west corner, to get to the Rogers building just across the street must:

1. wait for the walk signal and cross Charles St.

2. wait for a second walk signal and cross Jarvis St.

3. wait for a third walk signal to cross the south bound lanes of Mt. Pleasant.

4. wait for a fourth walk signal to cross the north bound lanes of Mt. Pleasant.

I invite members to contribute their own suggestions of intersections. (I'm quite sure there's another where the Allen Road meets Eglinton and a few around Gardiner/Lakeshore.)

Do YOU think pedestrians are No. 1? What does the evidence show?

I'm glad that Toronto is trying this out... The one in Tokyo is amazing but I've noticed a big difference that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere yet:

The flow of Tokyo's appears so smooth because when crossing diagonally you can only go between two corners as opposed to all 4 at the same time like in Toronto.

In Toronto, won't there be a lot of awkward collisions in the centre? There is no "walk on the right side" sort of rule for this scenario yet.

I'm thinking it will take as long as it took for people to get the walk on the left, stand on the right, when using escalators on the subway.

I gotta say, I love the scramble and everything, but it is causing traffic jams in the afternoon rush. I care not much for the cars being backed up, but rather the Dundas streetcar.

Word of advice: it is always faster now to get off at Bay and walk to Yonge during PM rush.

I'm just afraid that there's an old bureaucrat somewhere at the Transportation Department who's pointing and yelling, "See! Traffic! Pedestrian scramble, out!"

Back