News   Jul 26, 2024
 490     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 415     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 344     0 

Yonge-Dundas Pedestrian Scramble Implementation

That just sounds stupid - so to cross with traffic you have to wait for the third traffic signal cycle (the scramble mode)? People will just cross with the flow of traffic.

If they're not going to allow either pedestrian crossings or vehicle turns during the green light phases then I don't understand why they've even bothered with the scramble crossing. Longer waits for pedestrians, longer waits for cars, and no additional vehicle movements... fantastic.

I get the feeling that council simply wanted to emulate something that other cities have (while managing to completely miss the point of why scramble crossings are a good idea).

Here's predicting either a lot of pedestrians jaywalking against the signal or a massive increase in illegal turns.

For immigrants from Ireland and UK at least, this is business as usual. Cars and pedestrians cross separately, with turns on a red almost never permitted. They could use scramble-diagonal intersections at busy places like Dublin's O'Connell Bridge, now that I think about it - last I was there you have to cross, wait then cross laterally.

I'm sure people will do a lot of jaywalking on the green in the direction they're going, especially since turning is still prohibited. I know I would.

First, people will jaywalk because they will be unfamiliar with the new setup.

Second, they will comply once they get the hang of it.

Third, they will jaywalk when they realize there are opportunities to do so.

Expect it to take a week to get from step one to step three.:rolleyes:

• At the Yonge Street/Dundas Street intersection, vehicle turning movements will continue to be prohibited; staff, however, will monitor the operation of the intersection and may consider allowing right turns in the future if appropriate.

• An increase in delays by both motorist and pedestrians due to longer signal cycle lengths.

Leave it to City of Toronto staff to completely bastardize what would have otherwise been a progressive approach to traffic management. Not only that, but they approved a modified system that they know in advance will cause even more delays to both vehicles and pedestrians alike. Who came up with this plan?

To those of you who think that this city is in responsible hands, get real. One day I'd like to run for city council and try to put these morons in their place.

Because the average Torontonian is an idiot.

LOL, but no. I am involved in pedestrian issues fairly actively. I knew about the city's plans for scrambles, but did not know they would continue to prohibit right turns at Y&D and force pedestrians only to cross on the scramble phase. This is the busiest pedestrian intersection in the city - the next ones on the list are the ones surrounding Union Station.

Everyone say Scramble Intersection:

traffic_lights.jpg

Opps! Wrong plans.

I'm guessing that is some sort of art.

I believe that it's in Canary Wharf in London.

I loved the idea of a scramble crossing here and they've gone and screwed it up - which isn't all that surprising. I would like the city to at least try to provide a reason why right hand turns will still be banned.

Back