News   Jul 26, 2024
 477     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 410     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 344     0 

Yonge-Dundas Pedestrian Scramble Implementation

From what I understand now, it will be ready Thursday. And it appears that the city is doing this right, with allowing the regular pedestrian phases with traffic as well, a departure from common practice and what was mentioned above.

From what I understand now, it will be ready Thursday. And it appears that the city is doing this right, with allowing the regular pedestrian phases with traffic as well, a departure from common practice and what was mentioned above.

That is glorious news!

Kudos to the city for recognizing that people were going to cross with traffic anyway.

Signs above each light were installed today, but are currently covered. The start date is indeed this Thursday. I cant wait!

They've also started painting the diagonal crossings..
This is gonna be so sweeeeeettt :p

They've painted the new lines, but the diagonal ones don't go over the concrete streetcar lane in the centre. I'm guessing they're waiting to cover the concrete with a different type of material (painted bumps for traction?) because it looks incomplete right now.

It will be nice to go experience the opening of the crossing. Go get your photo taken at the middle of the intersection, with a media tower looming in the background showing the time and date you made your first crossing. Might be something to show your grandkids.

They've painted the new lines, but the diagonal ones don't go over the concrete streetcar lane in the centre. I'm guessing they're waiting to cover the concrete with a different type of material (painted bumps for traction?) because it looks incomplete right now.

The diagonal lines dont even reach the concrete yet. They barely leave the curb. It looks like they just didn't have permission to close Dundas yet.

they just have 2 lines painted on each corner right now. i guess they'll be doing it tonight so they can have it going by tomorrow.

They started it up at around 9am this morning, although it was pretty empty except for police officers, and model walkers.

They didn't do any more painting, it doesn't look like they're going to finish it anytime soon.

The system goes through a NorthSouth phase, than a East/West phase, followed by the "pedestrian priority" phase (helpfully labeled on the new signs).

One details I noticed is that since the E/W phase happens right before the priority phase, you rarely have to cross diagonally unless you missed the end of the E/W phase. This makes the intersection more forgiving for pedestrians arriving at random points in the cycle. I'd like to see how it deals with the weekend crowds.

So I tried the 'scramble' today... people seemed confused.. lol.. there were camera ppl all over, and police, it was a mess! The lines were not done.. and it was weird when I saw the diagonal signals with the hand sign, and the walk sign still for east-west... at first I thought maybe the diagonals don't work yet, but then afterwards it did? It looks like they do an east-west signal, then north-south signal, then all + diagonal signals. I thought we were just going to get all none, then all go.. but I guess since there's no right turns, they did it this way.

Scramble Crossing

Pedestrians first at Yonge and Dundas

JOHN SPEARS
CITY HALL BUREAU

Starting today, pedestrians rule at Yonge and Dundas.

Toronto launched the first pedestrian priority traffic lights — also known as scramble crossings or Barnes dance — at the busy intersection this morning.

http://www.thestar.com/News/article/487045

Was there just an hour ago during lunchtime - it was very effective at handling the heavy load of pedestrians on the sidewalk.

AoD

the new lights, they allow you to cross from side to side and diagonally but do they allow you to go in circles? ;)

Back