News   Apr 22, 2024
 773     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 258     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 656     0 

What's the future for the Conservative Party?

What do y'all think of Michael Chong? I don't have a good sense yet but he seems to be one of the more reasonable voices in Parliament. Scheer was not that reasonable voice, neither are Trudeau or Singh.

See my post above and my post in some other thread. And all my posts pertaining to the last leadership contest.

And anyway, I'll just say it again: Michael Chong is my kinda guy. He was the only leadership candidate that campaigned with carbon pricing as one of his policy ideals. He's a very reasonable person. Just the type we need in leadership roles.

He was my first choice in the last leadership contest. Bernier was second. I din't have a third because the field just became a morass after that.

The key to winning over Canadian voters is nice hair, good looks, and a famous last name.
Conservatives should choose Candice Bergen.

Ha! Nice one.

Unlike the last few posts of yours to which I reacted with a laugh, this one is actually amusing.

Hey man, Bergen seems actually quite reasonable. Wouldn't be the worst choice ever.

Its likely guranteed any future conservative leader chosen will be better then scheer.

Yeah....you'd hope so. I'm not opposed to being surprised and having a laugh though. :)

Let's not forget who votes for the leader.

It's all fine and all for the talking heads to think this and that and for us internet geniuses to know what's good for who, but in the end, the membership makes that specific decision and their motives are varied and largely unknown.

Ha! Nice one.

Unlike the last few posts of yours to which I reacted with a laugh, this one is actually amusing.

Hey man, Bergen seems actually quite reasonable. Wouldn't be the worst choice ever.
If the goal is to chose someone better Trudeau - they could pick anyone and succeed.
If the goal is to chose someone who will be treated equal by the media - they are doomed to fail.

Tories in turmoil over firing of executive director: sources

By Mercedes Stephenson
Ottawa Bureau Chief/Host Global News

A battle is underway within the Conservative Party after the party’s fundraising arm (the Fund) decided to fire executive director Dustin van Vugt and launched an internal audit into how the party handles expenses.

The board’s decision to terminate van Vugt was communicated to him and within the party HQ on Friday, but almost immediately van Vugt’s supporters questioned whether the Fund has the power to out the executive director.

Why are they imploding like this?

All they had to do was pick Chong as their leader and they'd be forming government right now, guaranteed. You heard it here first.

Why are they imploding like this?

All they had to do was pick Chong as their leader and they'd be forming government right now, guaranteed. You heard it here first.

No, they would've picked Bernier if not Scheer and likely lost more spectacularly. Remember Cons still get to gloat now that they actually won the popular vote how things turned out. An unknown like Chong was too much of a wildcard considering even Scheer no one knew despite being in politics for over 15 years.

No, they would've picked Bernier if not Scheer and likely lost more spectacularly. Remember Cons still get to gloat now that they actually won the popular vote how things turned out. An unknown like Chong was too much of a wildcard considering even Scheer no one knew despite being in politics for over 15 years.

Bernier was my second choice after Chong. I almost got a membership so I could vote.

Yeah, Bernier was hugely mischaracterised and they would have fared worse indeed, unfortunately.

Even though he was my second choice, I don't agree with a lot of his ideas. Well, basically the ones concerning the environment (though he always made a good point concerning the futility of the pitifully low carbon price we do have) and somewhat on immigration...though having a frank conversation about it as he suggested IS a good idea.

I liked his libertarian tendencies, his social liberty values, and his values in regards to personal responsibility (so lacking in our society, it's pathetic).

The popular vote means nothing in Canada, much like in the US. It is how those votes are distributed that matters. Putting up Saddam Hussein numbers in Alberta and Saskatchewan didn't work out very well.

As for the future of the conservative movement, I see the CPC talking heads going about how they are a "big tent" party, but the Reform and PC wings never formally made up and will forever be at odds with each other.

The popular vote means nothing in Canada, much like in the US. It is how those votes are distributed that matters. Putting up Saddam Hussein numbers in Alberta and Saskatchewan didn't work out very well.

As for the future of the conservative movement, I see the CPC talking heads going about how they are a "big tent" party, but the Reform and PC wings never formally made up and will forever be at odds with each other.
However let's be honest if the situation was turn opposite progressives would be pitching non-stop on Twitter lol
(Hillary won the popular vote wahhh)

All I would say is that having the lowest popular share of any governing party ever in Canada and losing the popular vote should just give the federal liberal with some sort of pause. Frankly all it takes is a slight more decline of support and seats can flip like crazy.

If the popular vote means nothing then why are the US Democrats so deadset out to undermine and thwart the President's every move. It infuriates them to no end that Trump won the Electoral College through his targeting of key strategic states while the Dems only went by national polls which oversampled the large coastal cities. You know these impeachment charges are as bogus as a two dollar bill. They're only making fools of themselves frankly and coasting Trump to reelection.

But anyways back to Canada, Conservatives winning the popular vote is nothing to sneeze at. Discontent with the Liberals is very strong and if not for the obligatory two-year grace period it seems we'll be giving all the parties to regroup and amass a war-chest, I'm sure we'd otherwise be going back to the polls mighty soon. The country is more divided than ever. Good luck seeing your precious Liberals woo back SK and AB any time soon.

Back