News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 457     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

What's the future for the Conservative Party?

Gives them time to get organized. I think they wanted it earlier when they wanted him out. Now that he's going, it's not such a rush.

Digging through old YouTube video clips of Pierre Pollievre speaking in the House or to the media, it both shocks and disappoints me that the Conservative hadn't picked him over Andrew Scheer in the leadership race. We had a star in the making and went milquetoast. I'm almost certain we'd be living in a very different Canada right now had the winds of fate took that course instead.

Digging through old YouTube video clips of Pierre Pollievre speaking in the House or to the media, it both shocks and disappoints me that the Conservative hadn't picked him over Andrew Scheer in the leadership race. We had a star in the making and went milquetoast. I'm almost certain we'd be living in a very different Canada right now had the winds of fate took that course instead.

Are you actually being serious? I hope not; and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're just trolling.

Pollievre is a useless twit who is an embarrassment to any political party.

He's known for being an obnoxious partisan with no particular affinity for the truth.

I have exactly the opposite impression of Pollievre; he comes across (to me anyway) as a rather unpleasant person with no feeling for people and extremely partisan at that. I am not very likely to vote Conservative (though I once did, once) but if he was Tory leader I would actually canvass against them!

Bernier was my second choice after Chong. I almost got a membership so I could vote.

Yeah, Bernier was hugely mischaracterised and they would have fared worse indeed, unfortunately.

Even though he was my second choice, I don't agree with a lot of his ideas. Well, basically the ones concerning the environment (though he always made a good point concerning the futility of the pitifully low carbon price we do have) and somewhat on immigration...though having a frank conversation about it as he suggested IS a good idea.

I liked his libertarian tendencies, his social liberty values, and his values in regards to personal responsibility (so lacking in our society, it's pathetic).
No, they would've picked Bernier if not Scheer and likely lost more spectacularly. Remember Cons still get to gloat now that they actually won the popular vote how things turned out. An unknown like Chong was too much of a wildcard considering even Scheer no one knew despite being in politics for over 15 years.
Bernier would have won the election. But as we can see, he lacks patience.

Are you actually being serious? I hope not; and I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you're just trolling.

Pollievre is a useless twit who is an embarrassment to any political party.

He's known for being an obnoxious partisan with no particular affinity for the truth.

He is basically a troll. Imagine if the comments section came to life.

He is basically a troll. Imagine if the comments section came to life.

I am not, take that back. I could call you antithetical towards anything right of centre, but you don't see me going there. I just am bewildered as to how the Tories could have messed up the election so badly. The blame must lie with the leader as the policies were appealing to many.

I'm now looking at the current field of candidates and making an educated guess that the electorate would find a firebrand like Pollievre at least someone who would generate some excitement and form a rallying cry behind the Conservatives. The electorate doesn't want boring which is why O'Toole or Chong won't inspire. The fact that the CBC is sort of endorsing Ambrose makes me skeptical of her. Rempel is okay but not provocative enough.

We need someone on the right whose engaging. Pollievre at least sounds extremely knowledgeable on many different topics (he took Morneau to task in Question Period in one of the videos I watched) and is fully bilingual and is from Eastern Canada.

There seems to be this mentality in Canada that no Conservative is ever good enough and has to go through impossible hoops to even appear viable. Seems the backlash against a Pollievre candidacy is only proving my point.

I am not, take that back. I could call you antithetical towards anything right of centre, but you don't see me going there. I just am bewildered as to how the Tories could have messed up the election so badly. The blame must lie with the leader as the policies were appealing to many.

The "he" being referred to here is Poilievre, not yourself.

I'm now looking at the current field of candidates and making an educated guess that the electorate would find a firebrand like Pollievre at least someone who would generate some excitement and form a rallying cry behind the Conservatives. The electorate doesn't want boring which is why O'Toole or Chong won't inspire. The fact that the CBC is sort of endorsing Ambrose makes me skeptical of her. Rempel is okay but not provocative enough.

We need someone on the right whose engaging. Pollievre at least sounds extremely knowledgeable on many different topics (he took Morneau to task in Question Period in one of the videos I watched) and is fully bilingual and is from Eastern Canada.

There seems to be this mentality in Canada that no Conservative is ever good enough and has to go through impossible hoops to even appear viable. Seems the backlash against a Pollievre candidacy is only proving my point.

I was talking about Skippy, not you! Calm down! I saw him on TV once and he just came across as a troll.

Hopkins, man, take your meds. Poilievre is a wanker.

There are plenty of respectable people available for the job. No need for him.

McKay, Ambrose, Chong ? ....for example.

Yeah, true.....opposing corporate welfare in our corporate shill political scene was his biggest flaw.

That's not what he meant, and you know that.

His faux-pas in the area of immigration and multiculturalism weren't just un-PC.

I won't go so far as to call the man racist; but at best, he willfully courted those are as a political strategy; at worst he's too stupid/gaffe-prone to know how his statements would be understood in English Canada.

I'm prone to thinking Mr. Bernier may be gaffe-prone, but not stupid........

He knew what nonsense he was pushing.

That's unfortunate; doubly so if that doesn't reflect his personal views; and I find nothing in his history that suggests it does.

But deploying dog-whistle politics as an electoral strategy was among his greater fumbles, and does suggest a character flaw, as well as poor judgement.

He is most definitely not a racist.

Yeah, I'm the first to admit, that his tactics and execution thereof were a disaster. I was pretty hopeful because he has a similar worldview as me in many respects.
I was pretty disappointed in how it all went, but I will never shy away from my endorsement of him as my second choice for CPC leader....after Chong. (I love you, Chong! Never change! Carbon pricing now!)

His base of support was and still is beyond toxic. Overt racism, homophobia and even white supremacist views are common.

Back