News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.1K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 805     0 

Westside Gallery Lofts (Queen West Triangle, Urbancorp, 20 + 8s, Kirkor) COMPLETE

This...

This is an interesting project which doesn't seem to have seen much action on the forum. How about a few renders from the Baird Sampson Neuert Website.

thumbnail.aspx

thumbnail.aspx

thumbnail.aspx

thumbnail.aspx

becomes this?

They changed the building design :(

The Cheapeningâ„¢ strikes again! Thanks Urbancorp, and welcome to the UT Hall of Shame, which begs a new thread dedicated to the worst that gets dished out here...

oh what could have been ..... :(

btw, are Urbancorp and Urban Capital (of Boutique) related?
there is a similarity in design here ... maybe there was a volume discount on bricks :D

Renderings

Seems like both tower 1+2 of West Gallery Lofts has been substantially modified from the original design ~

The only good thing out of this is (IMO) ... the buildings got taller ... originally it was 11 + 7s, the new proposal is now 20 + 8s

Last edited by a moderator:
The city really needs to be able to, by legal means, enforce developers to build as promised. That and/or a design board that actually enforces good design, rather than getting into little bitch fights regarding height and nothing else. Developers rarely deliver on their original visions; the ones that catch public interest and positively contribute to the visual environment.

We keep getting screwed, for every good building, too many architecturally devoid buildings get crapped all over our cityscape.

Baird Sampson Neuert were kicked off the job ages ago, that's why that early rendering looks so schematic. Much like Alsop on the Bridge project across the tracks, by the same developer coincidentally, they were hired for a concept, a few flashy pictures, then replaced by mediocre architects.
I would never buy anything from a developer that is so obviously doing the old bait and switch. Who knows what other corners they're cutting.

Scaled Model

This is what I did on my Thanksgiving Monday ~ ;)

Click to Enlarge

October 12 2009 update

I believe this building will be 20 storeys in total ~

Westside Gallery Lofts building 1 on the 18th floor
Click to Enlarge

The clear glass + white spandrels is nice ~
Click to Enlarge

According to the sales office ... phase 1 (20s) is sold out

If you're interested, info on the redesigned Phase 2 will be released on Saturday, October 17th ~ :)

It is unfortunate that this design has changed so much. I remember visiting the sales centre on opening weekend several years ago and while I loved the model suite, when I asked how much it was, they answered tentatively, then added that there were more than $80 000 worth of upgrades in it AND that most of the upgrades would probably not even be available for purchase. That was enough for me to go, nope, can't trust the builder and leave.

The above being said, however, it wasn't necessarily Urbancorp's fault that the design changed so much. The market spoke and it didn't speak well enough for the original floorplans and vision to materialize. They had to redo so much that they scrapped pretty much the entire concept. Original buyers had the option to leave, but most didn't. Maybe it's not just the developers' fault. Maybe Torontonians are too conservative and boring in what they want. I mean, if you're moving downtown from the burbs, this might look pretty good - or at the very least - not intimidating or too hoighty toighty for your sensibilities.

Westside's on the 19th floor already ~ only 1 more floor left to be poured ...

maybe they can just jack up the crane for this last floor instead of changing it out for another crane

Back