News   Apr 24, 2024
 949     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 619     0 

Westside Gallery Lofts (Queen West Triangle, Urbancorp, 20 + 8s, Kirkor) COMPLETE

These developments were quite controversial in the neighbourhood, but incorporating space for artists and the bold architecture by BSN and Alsop must have won over people. Good architecture that demonstrates a lot creativity and bold style can be a compelling gesture in such a neighbourhood. To propose it and then switch to something banal can't be acceptable.

There's nothing wrong with handsome but restrained infill. The problem arises when no one steps up to the plate to deliver the handful of exceptional buildings that every neighbourhood should have. In the past, such buildings would often be churches or banks. Alsop and BSN's buildings would have been those needed gems. Developers should aspire to enhance a neighbourhood's sense of place and identity through architecture, design, and art, rather than just using it in the marketing for buildings that are ordinary and forgettable. Development should mean working toward beautiful city neighbourhoods, not just duds in pleasant but mundane "villages" in the city.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with handsome but restrained infill. The problem arises when no one steps up to the plate to deliver the handful of exceptional buildings that every neighbourhood should have. In the past, such buildings would often be churches or banks. Alsop and BSN's buildings would have been those needed gems. Developers should aspire to enhance a neighbourhood's sense of place and identity through architecture, design, and art, rather than just using it in the marketing for buildings that are ordinary and forgettable. Development should mean working toward beautiful city neighbourhoods, not just duds in pleasant but mundane "villages" in the city.

Well said junctionist

Why did they hire those architects to draw up plans if they just cheaped out on it in the end? It's still a pretty nice looking building. Looks better than Bohemian, 8 gladstone and ART. The lobby is a little budget but whatever. $480 a foot for in a hot neighborhood for a brand new building is a good deal to me. Where else are you going to get a 2br with parking for $320k in wqw?

I'm just pissed with the delays in registration. Seriously this is a ridiculously long time to wait for registration. My lawyer is telling me it can be as late as june!! That's about a 2 year wait for the people on the lower floors. Are there defects in the building or is this builder just that unorganized and slow. I believe one cole west in Regent Park was registered in about 3-4 months after it was finished.

That is no surpise given Urbancorp's track record ... buyers beware I suppose?

This is a huge surprise to me. A building doesn't even have to be 100% done to be registered. I don't know what these guys are doing. Maybe the city is backlogged? There are definitely a lot of pissed off owners.

Back