News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 622     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 902     0 

VIA Rail

No, because I find it stupid to continue "norms" that have no logic.
Then I'm not sure why you bother discussing here in a language* which largely defies logic and universal rules (especially when it comes to spelling and pronounciation)...

While I don't like QC for many things, their language uniformity efforts I applaud. They made many unique terms that aren't even used in France, courriel, rançongiciel etc.
And as much as I also appreciate their linguistic non-conformism, they get mercilessly ridiculed for it by many French from France who live in Quebec like it still was their colony...

*Edit: since it seems to not have been clear enough: I'm obviously taking about English, whereas my French teacher always insisted that the language she taught was basically "like mathematics"...

Last edited:
Then I'm not sure why you bother discussing here in a language which largely defies logic and universal rules (especially when it comes to spelling and pronounciation)...
SI is supposed to be the universal language but it's your thing if you differ. Many agree that miles are better than kilometeres. If you're talking about French why are you still in Montréal then?

Well that’s one way to fend off dropping poll numbers. But as the line runs through UCP heartland and property will be required and many roads closed I’m curious if this will make it to the construction phase.
Not sure if it's been shared but Ellis Don and Aecom are pushing for HSR in Alberta and have signed an MOU with the Gov

Well that’s one way to fend off dropping poll numbers. But as the line runs through UCP heartland and property will be required and many roads closed I’m curious if this will make it to the construction phase.
I thought that hyperloop had better chances than HSR there.

Last edited:
He counted Montreal and Ottawa as one direction (12 trains to each city would be more than Kingston - or even Toronto - ever had!), as both routes only split up a further 81 km east. This, the promise was for 24 trains, which is not that far from the 12-16 trains you call realistic:
50% to 66.7% ...

Does that graphic imply that VIA has purchased the line from Kitchener to London? Did I miss that?

50% to 66.7% ...
50-66.7% (rather than 33.3-44.4%) of the promised frequency, or the other way around, the promise is just 1.5-2 (rather than 2.25-3) times higher than what you deem realistic. Considering how chronically sceptical, pessimistic or even cynical you appear about most things being discussed here, 50-66.7% makes you look almost euphoric... ;)

Does that graphic imply that VIA has purchased the line from Kitchener to London? Did I miss that?
No, the orange is for GEXR (note that the map is from 2017), whereas yellow is for VIA...

Last edited:
Say that to your fellow forumers, I don't care but won't change my acronyms.
If you don't see any of the people discussing with you here as one of your "fellow forumers", then I sincerely wish you that you can find a different forum (in any language of your choice), where you will actually feel like a part of the community... :)

If you don't see any of the people discussing with you here as one of your "fellow forumers", then I sincerely wish you that you can find a different forum (in any language of your choice), where you will actually feel like a part of the community... :)
I don't care to be part of a community, I find that those who want to belong are quite too sensitive really. This is a public forum, not a AA group.

I don't care to be part of a community, I find that those who want to belong are quite too sensitive really. This is a public forum, not a AA group.

Here's the thing, I come very close to agreeing w/you here, in that I have a great love of what I perceive to be logic.
Overall, I don't feel like logic should change from group to group.
We should all agree on a common set of facts and best practices.

Yet.......

I think the way you get there is by persuasion............
By changing people's minds about how they do things and why.
That requires a take that is persuasive more than.......adversarial.
One of the reasons for learning more than one language........and I speak 2.......and am learning a third and fourth........is that you want to be understood.
Not as an affirmation gesture, but intellectually.
You need to meet people where they are.............then you can, if they are open to it........offer people alternative ways of thinking and expressing themselves.
But you can't do that until they understand you.

Not really the forum for it but... I agree with SI units as the goal even with currency. However i also accept that there is no common understanding on how to write currency and the point of language and typing your idea into a forum or onto a page is to have people understand it. If I give someone 10G CAD, 10K CAD, or 10M CAD all three could mean $10,000 CAD. For some 10M CAD is $10,000 CAD and for others $10,000,000 CAD. For $10K people seem sort of unanimous on $10,000. But then there is 10MM CAD which is $10,000,000. So unfortunately to be clear you need to put (where G$ = a billion dollars). To make it worse people mix the capitalization up. 1 ¤CAD, 1 k¤CAD, 1 M¤CAD, 1 G¤CAD... that makes the most sense to me and I think sane people should adopt it just like a yyyy-mm-dd short date format where most significant digit is on the left and least on the right like numbers so it sorts properly. However, you need to footnote or tell people you are using this more intelligent format when you do because people not understanding is not meeting the goal of communication and therefore the brilliance is lost.

Last edited:

Back