News   Jul 12, 2024
 954     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 834     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 339     0 

VIA Rail

Right. But what they buy nominally, especially announced in some presser, doesn't always line up with final delivery configurations or even how service is configured.

Lets hope. đź‘Ť
Don't need to break trains or reconfigure for this. Just use pricing. The only time reconfig is needed is when they want to physically reallocate capacity from one part of the corridor to the other.

If all that happens is demand grows broadly in the summer or on weekends, they aren't going to be reconfiguring weekly. That can just be yield managed.

I agree they won't break or grow trains frequently, but if there are several quiet months where one or two cars will always be empty, there is no point having an extra coach rolling around. Not only does it waste fuel/energy, but maintenance cost of the coach is distance based. The other benefit is they can do some rotating maintenance during off peak seasons to get things ready for peak seasons.

As for pricing, that can only go so far. It can help encourage people to travel at a different time of day or even a different day of the week, but cheap trains in November won't get you home for Thanksgiving (unless you are American :p).

I was speaking generically - the point being any end-of-business-day timed train is likely to have a very high demand for business class.

Ahh. That makes sense.

And if today is 2 business cars, then my comments related to adding a third.

Hence my suggestion that Extra Long trains have a third business coach, if demand warrants it. ;)

Converting economy cars to business cars is probably revenue-enhancing, but I agree that shouldn’t lead to turning away coach customers. One would hope that if business grows, a followup order for more coaches to lengthen the initial trainsets would have a good business case. So long as the fleet starts out with some room for growth, justifying that add-on order because the fleet is full would be a nice problem to have.

Agreed. We need to provide enough supply throughout the day/week to meet the demand in both classes. Having said that, running longer trains than needed throughout the day because one departure can use the extra capacity is poor management. Use pricing to encourage people to use the less popular times and have people who really need to travel during the peak time pay a premium. This applies to both business and economy classes.

The way I see it, the only place they probably need two business coaches per train is Toronto-Ottawa and Toronto-Montreal. Everything else is probably just fine with one business coach. The math only get complicated with thru service in Toronto or Montreal.

In any event, I think VIA has bought enough capacity and adding more trains or possibly even longer trains is just going to be problematic when dealing with the railways. HFR is sorely needed. And if it doesn't happen, they will have to tailor their options exercise to mostly lengthening the trains they will run.

^I was actually encouraged when I saw the plan to have 3-car trainsets, as it made clear that VIA wasn't backing away from lower-volume runs. That's important both to the frequency component of HFR and potentially to other routes also.

I don't know how VIA's contract with the railways is structured - there have been snippets said over the years that implied VIA paid in part by the axle count, and at other times by number of train slots used. I suspect both matter to the operating cost, but within the range we are discussing, train frequency is going to matter to the railways much more than the number of coaches. Platform length may be the key constraint.

Even with the existing fleet, we see consists stay together for weeks at a time - the service plan minimises reconfiguration, maintenance is what forces switching. With a reliable new fleet and a supporting maintenance strategy, one would expect that trainsets will stay together just fine

- Paul.

The RFQ was apparently released in 2018 and a cycling plan from that year (May 2018) was thankfully already posted a few months ago:

This cycling plan clearly shows a total of only 10 revenue Renaissance cars in service (8 Economy plus 2 Business) at any time of the week and if you compare the suitcase symbol (indicating checked baggage service) on Quebec-Montreal-Ottawa services in the PDF timetables between June 2015 and March 2020, you will notice that the Renaissance cycling shown below has been virtually unchanged over the last half-decade:
View attachment 292484

Therefore, unless you insist that there must be more than one spare set to back up for these two measly Renaissance sets, the total seat count you calculated shrinks by 720 seats (i.e. 15 Renaissance cars) from 9,536 to 8,816 seats...

I think I have things figured out (though it is a little kludgy). While I have great faith in you as a resource, the thing that bothered me is the following page from the VIA's presentation at the 2019 NGEC Meeting (which was after the RFQ in 2018) clearly says the corridor fleet currently has 160 cars with a total capacity of 9120 seats (between the 9,536 and 8,816 we had calculated).
Current Fleet Profile.png

I just couldn't figure out how to manipulate the numbers to get the quoted 160 cars with a total capacity of 9120 seats. It then hit me. They are saying cars not coaches. What if they are including baggage and service cars?

If you look at the cycling plan, it lists 4 types of HEP cars (H2 CO, H1 CO, H2 CL and BAG) as well as 4 types of Renaissance cars (BAG, CO, VIA1, and SERV). I assume:
  • H1 = HEP I,
  • H2 = HEP II,
  • CO = Economy Coach,
  • CL (or VIA1) = Business Coach,
  • BAG = Baggage, and
  • SERV = Service
Looking at a picture of a Renaissance train I took on May 5, 2018 (below), I saw that it had 7 cars, and looking at cycling plan, that would make sense as with 2 active trains, each would have 1 Baggage car, 4 Economy Coaches, 1 Business Coach and 1 Service car, which aligns with the cycling plan. With the assumption that (as @Urban Sky said) there was (in addition to the trains in the cycling plan) also an identical reserve Renaissance train being counted, that would bring us up to 21 (not the 23 the slide above says, but close, I will get back to that later).

Continuing along in the same vain, cycling plan lists 5 HEP I Coach and 2 Baggage (which would also be HEP I ) so that is likely the 7 HEP I cars. :) It also lists 19 HEP II Economy and 8 HEP Business Coaches. If you (similar to Renaissance) you also add a reserve HEP II train with 4 Economy and 2 Business Coaches (a common configuration) that gets the number of HEP II cars to 33 (and matches the number of HEP II Economy class cars and Galley business cars listed on VIA's website). By doing all of this, I got the both the number of cars and the Total Capacity very close, but not quite right.

For the total capacity, the HEP I Economy class cars, can have either 60 or 62 seats. If I assume that 2 have 62 seats and 3 have 60 seats, then it works out perfectly. Or it could be that they just rounded the number to 9120, because it was divisible by 32. Either way, it is close.

As for the number of cars, VIA does have a total of 9 Renaissance baggage cars (and 3 Renaissance baggage transition cars). It is possible they assigned an extra 2 (5 instead of 3) to the Corridor fleet for some reason. That also brings the number of Renaissance cars up to 23 as claimed. It is a stretch I know, but it does make the numbers work. Any better ideas?

When you put all of this together, here is what you get:

TypeQtyCapacityTotal Capacity
LRC Economy71684828
LRC Business26441144
LRC Total975972
HEP II Coach23681564
HEP I Coach262124
HEP I Coach b360180
HEP II Club1056560
HEP I Baggage200
HEP Total402428
Ren Baggage500
Ren. Coach1248576
Ren. Business348144
Ren Service300
Ren. Total23720
Econ. Total10665.76968
Bus. Total3947.41848
Total1609120

IMG_1423.jpg

I think I have things figured out (though it is a little kludgy). While I have great faith in you as a resource, the thing that bothered me is the following page from the VIA's presentation at the 2019 NGEC Meeting (which was after the RFQ in 2018) clearly says the corridor fleet currently has 160 cars with a total capacity of 9120 seats (between the 9,536 and 8,816 we had calculated).
View attachment 292697

I just couldn't figure out how to manipulate the numbers to get the quoted 160 cars with a total capacity of 9120 seats. It then hit me. They are saying cars not coaches. What if they are including baggage and service cars?

If you look at the cycling plan, it lists 4 types of HEP cars (H2 CO, H1 CO, H2 CL and BAG) as well as 4 types of Renaissance cars (BAG, CO, VIA1, and SERV). I assume:
  • H1 = HEP I,
  • H2 = HEP II,
  • CO = Economy Coach,
  • CL (or VIA1) = Business Coach,
  • BAG = Baggage, and
  • SERV = Service
Looking at a picture of a Renaissance train I took on May 5, 2018 (below), I saw that it had 7 cars, and looking at cycling plan, that would make sense as with 2 active trains, each would have 1 Baggage car, 4 Economy Coaches, 1 Business Coach and 1 Service car, which aligns with the cycling plan. With the assumption that (as @Urban Sky said) there was (in addition to the trains in the cycling plan) also an identical reserve Renaissance train being counted, that would bring us up to 21 (not the 23 the slide above says, but close, I will get back to that later).

Continuing along in the same vain, cycling plan lists 5 HEP I Coach and 2 Baggage (which would also be HEP I ) so that is likely the 7 HEP I cars. :) It also lists 19 HEP II Economy and 8 HEP Business Coaches. If you (similar to Renaissance) you also add a reserve HEP II train with 4 Economy and 2 Business Coaches (a common configuration) that gets the number of HEP II cars to 33 (and matches the number of HEP II Economy class cars and Galley business cars listed on VIA's website). By doing all of this, I got the both the number of cars and the Total Capacity very close, but not quite right.

For the total capacity, the HEP I Economy class cars, can have either 60 or 62 seats. If I assume that 2 have 62 seats and 3 have 60 seats, then it works out perfectly. Or it could be that they just rounded the number to 9120, because it was divisible by 32. Either way, it is close.

As for the number of cars, VIA does have a total of 9 Renaissance baggage cars (and 3 Renaissance baggage transition cars). It is possible they assigned an extra 2 (5 instead of 3) to the Corridor fleet for some reason. That also brings the number of Renaissance cars up to 23 as claimed. It is a stretch I know, but it does make the numbers work. Any better ideas?

When you put all of this together, here is what you get:

TypeQtyCapacityTotal Capacity
LRC Economy71684828
LRC Business26441144
LRC Total975972
HEP II Coach23681564
HEP I Coach262124
HEP I Coach b360180
HEP II Club1056560
HEP I Baggage200
HEP Total402428
Ren Baggage500
Ren. Coach1248576
Ren. Business348144
Ren Service300
Ren. Total23720
Econ. Total10665.76968
Bus. Total3947.41848
Total1609120

View attachment 292746
Thank you so much for posting this, it is much less awkward for me if I don’t feel tempted to post such a table myself!

Just two comments:
  • The HEP I cars with a “Snack bar” (which is just a Galley like in the HEP II cars) are cars 8145-8147, which are used exclusively on the Jonquière and Senneterre services (to be able to offer snacks to passengers).
  • There must have been a third HEP I Baggage car, to act as a back-up for the two in service (on Set 1 and Set 4).
That said, even I struggle to exactly reconcile some of the subtotals with what I believe to have been the reality when the RFP was written (and I have been involved in determining the appropriate fleet size for the RFP!), but the bottom line is that none of the subtotals (number of cars per fleet type) is infeasible (i.e. larger than the number of cars in the actual fleet) and that the total seat count is plausible (i.e. it is possible to reconcile it with the subtotals provided without making outlandish assumptions and with a deviation of less than 0.1%).

Therefore, I can’t thank you enough for demonstrating that the size of the new fleet represents almost perfectly the “one for one” fleet replacement which was advertised, which should allow for a slight increase in seat miles, thanks to higher fleet availability and utilization...!

Last edited:
^Great sleuthing work.

My impression is that there were more “borrowed” HEP I coaches in corridor service pre-COViD than that chart accounts for, possibly that would also affect the “true” numbers a touch.

The count is certainly close enough to accept the one-for-one premise, and similarly it’s intuitively sensible to assume the new fleet will be more reliable and more efficient to deploy. It would be nice to know what VIA and “Ottawa” estimate that achievable stretch would amount to....2% ? 5%.? 20?

The trouble with stretch goals is, sometimes it’s constructive to make people accountable to find the higher performance themselves, and sometimes it’s like asking them to flap their wings and fly. I would be happier if Ottawa were to have granted some measure of new capacity and then told VIA that any additional growth is theirs to extract from utilization. VIA has certainly earned that level of enabling support given the ridership growth they have achieved over the past decade. One-for-one is good, but just not as enabling as I had hoped. Let's hope HFR procurement improves on that.

- Paul

Last edited:
^Great sleuthing work.

My impression is that there were more “borrowed” HEP I coaches in corridor service pre-COViD than that chart accounts for, possibly that would also affect the “true” numbers a touch.

The count is certainly close enough to accept the one-for-one premise, and similarly it’s intuitively sensible to assume the new fleet will be more reliable and more efficient to deploy. It would be nice to know what VIA and “Ottawa” estimate that achievable stretch would amount to....2% ? 5%.? 20?

The trouble with stretch goals is, sometimes it’s constructive to make people accountable to find the higher performance themselves, and sometimes it’s like asking them to flap their wings and fly. I would be happier if Ottawa were to have granted some measure of new capacity and then told VIA that any additional growth is theirs to extract from utilization. VIA has certainly earned that level of enabling support given the ridership growth they have achieved over the past decade. One-for-one is good, but just not as enabling as I had hoped. Let's hope HFR procurement improves on that.

- Paul
That's likely because the HEP II fleet is being refurbished.

• The HEP I cars with a “Snack bar” (which is just a Galley like in the HEP II cars) are cars 8145-8147, which are used exclusively on the Jonquière and Senneterre s
With these HEP snack bars and the Renaissance trains, Quebec has had much better service than the rest of Canada in terms of fleet and comfort. Its painfully obvious where Via is headquartered and who they pay lip service to.

With these HEP snack bars and the Renaissance trains, Quebec has had much better service than the rest of Canada in terms of fleet and comfort. Its painfully obvious where Via is headquartered and who they pay lip service to.
My sincere apologies for not letting the passengers on our Northern Quebec services starve (no galley or dining facilities = no food service on an 8-12 hour journey) and I'd suggest that you first have a ride on a Renaissance train before you become envious of the passengers who have no choice but to enjoy its comfort...^^

In the meanwhile, a simple look in any schedule of the 45-ish years of VIA’s existence would debunk your conspiracy theory of Quebec-centrism:
1571186971457-png.209548

Here my full post from back then:
I'm not sure why exactly, but this quote still irritates the hell out of me, even 2 weeks after I first read your article: It's of course true that service (expressed in scheduled intercity passenger train mileage per week) in Southwestern Ontario is down by almost two-thirds since its record high in 1951, but when actually looking at how intercity services have actually developed in the Corridor over the last decades, it should become clear that the focus focus has not exactly been on the Ottawa-Montreal-Quebec route, which will become clear when comparing the relative size of the stacked areas in brown tones (i.e. Southwestern Ontario) with those in blue tones (i.e. Quebec-Montreal-Ottawa):
View attachment 209546
Compiled from: official CN, CP and VIA timetables
Note: The current weekly mileage of Southwest Ontario is 30,244 km, which is 66.8% below than the record high of 85,486 km in 1951 and 1.2% above the post-1950 low of 29,896 km, whereas Quebec-Ottawa-Montreal accounts for 32,143 km (47.9% below the record high of 61,678 km, but 63.6% higher than the post-1950 low of 19,652 km in 1990-1992) and the remainder of the Corridor (i.e. Montreal/Ottawa-Toronto) accounts for 104,484 (which is an all-time high and 84.4% above the post-1950 low of 56,648 km in 1990-1992)

I suspect that what triggers me is that it seems to exploit the narrative that VIA's services are biased towards the province where its HQ is located (and therefore most of its administrative staff is located and originates from). Because "the Ottawa-Montreal-Quebec City area" just becomes a code for "Quebec", once you consider that the area covers 100% of VIA's 367 km of Corridor network in Quebec (i.e. Quebec-Montreal-QC/ON border), but maybe only 10% (QC/ON border-Ottawa-Fallowfield: 120 km) of VIA's 1,395 km of Corridor network in Ontario:
View attachment 209547

In reality, however, only 18.6% of all Corridor mileage falls onto the province of Quebec, which is exactly half (!) of its share of the population of both provinces combined (37.8% in the 2016 Census). Furthermore, only 2.4% (in words: less than a fortieth!!!) of all Corridor mileage falls on train services which operate only within Quebec (there are so few left that you can count them with four fingers: #20, #25, #29 and #622, collectively accounting for as little as 15 one-way journeys between Quebec and Montreal per week) and both figures happen to be the lowest Quebec has ever seen:
View attachment 209548
Note: the highest share of Corridor mileage in Quebec was 36.0% in the confederation year 1967 (or if excluding inter-provincial services: 15.8% in 1989).

Therefore, rather than blaming Quebec for their own misery, the mayors and local politicians in Southwestern Ontario may ask themselves if the fact that they are the only area of the Corridor which has even less (rather than significantly more) intercity passenger rail service than directly after the January 1990 cuts could be related to their selfish and ultimately counter-productive and self-defeating tendency to object against any passenger rail investment program which doesn't reach into their own city rather than uniting behind a consolidated plan which will bring better rail passenger rail service incrementally and progressively into the entire region...

Last edited:
In the meanwhile, a simple look in any schedule of the 45-ish years of VIA’s existence would debunk your conspiracy theory of Quebec-centrism:

If Ottawa station happened to be 4km west in Gatineau, would that chart be almost entirely purple?

If Ottawa station happened to be 4km west in Gatineau, would that chart be almost entirely purple?
I hate to say this, but I don’t believe that it reflects particularly well on your home province that the only people in this country who whine that the distribution of VIA services is unfairly skewed against their own province reliably come from the one province which has less than two-fifths of the country’s population, but receives more service than the rest of the country combined:
ut-20170102-via-rail-stations-and-departures-jpg.95003

You can read my full post here:

Last edited:
I hate to say this, but I don’t believe that it reflects particularly well on your home province that the only people in this country who whine that the distribution of VIA services is unfairly skewed against their own province reliably come from the one province which has less than two-fifths of the country’s population, but receives more service than the rest of the country combined:

I was asking a question to see if I understood how the chart was created; and I still don't know the answer.

Is it based on start and end point for the entire trip (Union or even Windsor to Ottawa) or is it based on individual segments (Union to Fallowfield would be Ontario, and Fallowfield to a relocated Ottawa would be interprovincial).

Would a scheduled train from Toronto to Montreal via Ottawa, as HFR will make common, show as Red/Purple/Blue, Red/Purple, or entirely Purple?

Seeing how a metric responds to small random changes in how the information is organized (i.e. shift a station a small distance, mark runs for physical equipment moves instead of by ticketing practice, make each station to station segment a run number, etc.) lets me know the real value of the metric: what the metric is actually presenting rather than what we believe it is presenting. Normally that's a mental exercise but the chart doesn't provide much detail about the method of it's creation.

I suspect it's based on VIA's virtual Train Numbers start/end point, not physical equipment moves (which may be used for more than 1 run; Windsor to Ottawa for example), or station-to-station segments.

Last edited:
I was asking a question to see if I understood how the chart was created; and I still don't know the answer.

Is it based on start and end point for the entire trip (Union or even Windsor to Ottawa) or is it based on individual segments (Union to Fallowfield would be Ontario, and Fallowfield to a relocated Ottawa would be interprovincial).

Would a scheduled train from Toronto to Montreal via Ottawa, as HFR will make common, show as Red/Purple/Blue, Red/Purple, or entirely Purple?

Seeing how a metric responds to small random changes in how the information is organized (i.e. shift a station a small distance, mark runs for physical equipment moves instead of by ticketing practice, make each station to station segment a run number, etc.) lets me know the real value of the metric: what the metric is actually presenting rather than what we believe it is presenting. Normally that's a mental exercise but the chart doesn't provide much detail about the method of it's creation.

I suspect it's based on VIA's virtual Train Numbers start/end point, not physical equipment moves (which may be used for more than 1 run; Windsor to Ottawa for example), or station-to-station segments.
My sincere apologies (this time without any hint of sarcasm!) for brushing off your question, to which I will answer as follows:

All interprovincial services (i.e. services which cross the border between Quebec and Ontario) are shown in purple, whereas all interprovincial services are shown in either red or blue (depending on whether they operate in Ontario or Quebec). Consequently, any Toronto-Ottawa train venturing into Quebec (like they did through Hull until the closure of Ottawa Union Station in 1966) would be purple rather than red or any (Quebec-)Montreal-Ottawa train staying north of the Ottawa River (like the ex-CP route which operated via Lachute until 1981) and terminating in Hull rather than continuing into Ottawa would be blue rather than purple.

However, none of the above will alter significantly the fact that the share of Corridor mileage which falls onto tracks located on the Quebec side of the interprovincial border (refer to the yellow line!) is only half the proportion of Quebec’s part in the population which the two provinces share between them (refer to the black line!):
In reality, however, only 18.6% of all Corridor mileage falls onto the province of Quebec, which is exactly half (!) of its share of the population of both provinces combined (37.8% in the 2016 Census). Furthermore, only 2.4% (in words: less than a fortieth!!!) of all Corridor mileage falls on train services which operate only within Quebec (there are so few left that you can count them with four fingers: #20, #25, #29 and #622, collectively accounting for as little as 15 one-way journeys between Quebec and Montreal per week) and both figures happen to be the lowest Quebec has ever seen:
1571186971457-png.209548

Note: the highest share of Corridor mileage in Quebec was 36.0% in the confederation year 1967 (or if excluding inter-provincial services: 15.8% in 1989).

Maybe the fact that Ontario has 2.7 times* as much service per capita as Quebec explains why I react so allergic against any suggestion that Quebec would receive favourable treatment over Ontario (of all provinces!). It sometimes seems to me that certain Ontarians would only be satisfied if VIA terminates all service beyond their provincial border, while still having the federal taxpayer pay for it...^^

*Calculation: [(1-0.186)/(1-0.378)]/(0.186/0.378)=2.66

Last edited:

Back