News   May 02, 2024
 178     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 109     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 158     0 

VIA Rail

Can't they just stick a Starlink antenna on the top of the train, and feed the wifi?

Yay! Someone got the point :p
Getting this right early on in HFR could be critical.

Depends on the cost. Way too many people assume Starlink will be dirt cheap. This is gonna be like Musk's $35k Model 3 that you can't order online and comes with severe handicaps, so almost nobody buys the model.

VIA could put up a Satcom connection today if they wanted. The cost just isn't worthwhile. Especially not when the wifi is free. But it is something for them to consider as business travel expands. Maybe include it for free with a business class ticket.

Depends on the cost. Way too many people assume Starlink will be dirt cheap. This is gonna be like Musk's $35k Model 3 that you can't order online and comes with severe handicaps, so almost nobody buys the model.

VIA could put up a Satcom connection today if they wanted. The cost just isn't worthwhile. Especially not when the wifi is free. But it is something for them to consider as business travel expands. Maybe include it for free with a business class ticket.

What if it were included in the higher fares, but the lowest one had a charge for it?

Even if they are out, there's nothing to stop them selling some business class seats on economy. I've certainly been pushed to Business Class with economy tickets on British Airways before .. (which blew my mind away, as I was travelling with two pre-teens ... so I already had tons of extra space). I'm always sandwiched in Economy travelling solo.

And yet the 150 years of rail service to Kitchener hasn't pushed Rogers to cover that corridor properly yet ... :)

Can't they just stick a Starlink antenna on the top of the train, and feed the wifi? :)

Anything that I have read (which is admittedly, not much) says Starlink is still in beta and is designed for a fixed point use (the antenna apparently has a dish postioning motor to point at the best satellite). Perhaps they will develop one for a moving platform, and come up with a price, in time.

What if it were included in the higher fares, but the lowest one had a charge for it?

Exactly what I suggested. They make it free in business class and charge everybody else for it. And put up broadband Satcom or work out arrangements with Bell or Rogers for improved terrestrial coverage.

The currebt service isn't just somewhat spotty. Also has limited bandwidth. So there's definitely room for improvement. It's a question of the business case though. Installing the antennas cheap. And they have to get enough paid users to justify it. VIA must know more. Because I've gotten surveys about their wifi a while back. At this point, if they intend to do anything, might as an well wait for the new fleet.

Reception on highway 7 is not bad at all. It's North of Highway 7 is an issue. It wouldn't be that hard to point some of the existing towers to cover the railway.

Also the benefit of building this new railway is that it provides a right of way for Telecom providers to lease the ROW to lay down their fibre. They can then build cell repeaters along the line. Plus they will need it for CTC and radio communication anyway.

Much like the when the telegraph wires ran along the railway right of way.

Interesting. I got the total of 30 Renaissance cars from the 2017 Corporate Plan I previously linked (and got the Bus and Econ numbers by assuming that all 14 Renaissance Business cars are used on the Corridor). I was then confused that the 2020 (as well as the 2019) NGEC fleet update (that I also linked to) reduced that number to 23, but then added 7 HEP I cars to the fleet to compensate. Now you are saying that number has been further reduced to 15? What fleet size/mix did VIA use when they calculated their current "Total Capacity" of 9120 seats in the 2019 NGEC fleet update?

It sure will be good to get the Renaissance fleet out of service on the corridor. I guess they were better than nothing, allowing VIA to shoestring service for a bit longer, but the new fleet will be a breath of fresh air and will allow VIA

I'll have to get back to you on the math, but we need to look at the size of the fleet at the time the new fleet was requested, not the size of the diminished fleet since then due to equipment becoming inoperable. Even more important is the what size of fleet VIA needs to meet future demand. The extra trains for HFR will be great, but even without HFR, VIA would need to grow its corridor fleet.
The RFQ was apparently released in 2018 and a cycling plan from that year (May 2018) was thankfully already posted a few months ago:

This cycling plan clearly shows a total of only 10 revenue Renaissance cars in service (8 Economy plus 2 Business) at any time of the week and if you compare the suitcase symbol (indicating checked baggage service) on Quebec-Montreal-Ottawa services in the PDF timetables between June 2015 and March 2020, you will notice that the Renaissance cycling shown below has been virtually unchanged over the last half-decade:
1609822309545.png

Therefore, unless you insist that there must be more than one spare set to back up for these two measly Renaissance sets, the total seat count you calculated shrinks by 720 seats (i.e. 15 Renaissance cars) from 9,536 to 8,816 seats...

Are those Ren cars still parked at TMC?

With the reduction in service are they still using Rens in the corridor? It's mostly LRC from my experience.
I'm not aware of any serviceable Renaissance cars being currently located outside of Montreal, just like I'm not aware of any Renaissance trainsets having been in revenue service since train 24 arrived into Montreal on March 17 (i.e. the day the first Covid schedule came into effect) or of a second Renaissance trainset being in Corridor service after the blockades brought all Corridor operations to a standstill in mid-February (which, again, doesn’t exactly support the theory that most of the 30 Renaissance cars @roger1818 included in his seat counts are actually serviceable)...

For that reason, I don't quite get why they need 5 different coach configurations. I get that the business class coaches will have a different configuration than the economy coaches and the cab economy coach will be slightly different again, but why do they need 2 configurations of business coaches (one with 43 and one with 44 seats) and a second (non-cab) economy coach configuration (with 66 instead of 67 seats (a cab has 65))? I know they won't be reconfiguring trains often, but when they do, having fewer types of coaches would make it easier to follow a uniform standard, to ensure that the reservation system books everyone into a seat that exists.
With Business class having less seats per row than Economy class and with a cab car in the fleet, the minimum number of coach configurations would still be 3 (unless you configure the cab car as the only Business class car). If you don't have different Economy or Business non-cab car types, you would be forced to have accessible facilities (accessible washroom and two wheelchair spaces) as well as galleys in every single car, which would result in a lower seat count...

Last edited:
With HFR taking the more northerly route, I'd assume that cellular coverage might get even worse. I wonder if Starlink could provide enough bandwidth for the whole train at a reasonable cost, improving the trip connectivity's even more.
Starlink will be ideal for this application. Now, whether VIA actually makes use of it to improve service is an entirely different matter.

Anything that I have read (which is admittedly, not much) says Starlink is still in beta and is designed for a fixed point use (the antenna apparently has a dish postioning motor to point at the best satellite). Perhaps they will develop one for a moving platform, and come up with a price, in time.
Musk has said that fast moving vehicles are not a problem. The motor is just to generally orient in the right direction (and idiot-proof installation). The dish uses phased array antennae to connect with satellites so it does not need to track them. They move quite quickly overhead, anyway--only connected to a given satellite for 90s or so.

They are currently limiting to fixed location use as their capacity is highly limited in the initial rollout and they need to carefully manage usage in each 'cell'/geographical area. They can't have people signing up for one address and bringing it to another to bypass this.

Can't they just stick a Starlink antenna on the top of the train, and feed the wifi? :)

Starlink only has licenses for fixed position antennas in Canada. VIA could do OneWeb though which is roughly the same thing performance wise.

Acela is a totally different situation. First of all you have an extremely high frequency of service on the North East Corridor (more than double what HFR will have). Secondly the HSR trains are charging a premium price in the first place, because of the speed, so making them start at business class makes sense.

One should also remember that the bulk of passengers travelling on the NEC with AMTK run on their Regionals, rather than Acelas.

Starlink only has licenses for fixed position antennas in Canada. VIA could do OneWeb though which is roughly the same thing performance wise.
VIA’s WiFi service partner is Nomad Digital, which to the best of my knowledge relies on regular cell service (maybe supplemented by satellite connectivity, but I’m not really sure how that would be possible from a constantly moving and frequently rotating vehicle).

That said, I don’t find this overly technical discussion particularly interesting or relevant at this point, where we still don’t know for sure whether HFR will ever get built...

Last edited:
Oh the wifi most definitely has gaps. But that doesn't say anything about coverage for the Havelock sub. And heck, if VIA gets enough traffic, it might even be possible to convince Bellus and/or Rogers to cover the corridor.

If the corridor was electrified i'm sure they could install internet repeater infrastructure as well.

Probably not going to happen for a while though.

With Business class having less seats per row than Economy class and with a cab car in the fleet, the minimum number of coach configurations would still be 3 (unless you configure the cab car as the only Business class car). If you don't have different Economy or Business non-cab car types, you would be forced to have accessible facilities (accessible washroom and two wheelchair spaces) as well as galleys in every single car, which would result in a lower seat count...

It’s quite common elsewhere for “first class” to consist simply of a compartment within a carriage. The main attraction of that class is simply more spacious seats, and confidence that there will be an empty seat, as the higher fare discourages most travellers. The same pay-to-buy cart service may span both classes. (Not too many decades back, there even were first class compartments on some urban metro’s)

VIA’s First Class design is predicated on delivering more value than that, including meals, beverage, and a dedicated attendant. A dedicated car is needed to cover that overhead.

Where one is handling a load that fits in 3-car train, and allocating an entire car to First Class, the odds are that the Business car won’t be running at capacity, unless pricing is quite favourable. Some of those seat-miles will run empty.

I’m sure VIA has worked out in some detail how to mix and match its trainsets, to maximise utilization. We will never replicate those calculations accurately as outsiders. (Having seen a typical @UrbanSky quality spreadsheet product, I’m sure their analysis is pretty thorough! :) )

The best tests we spectators can apply are
a) Does the fleet deliver more trainsets than the current fleet allow - a very rough hint of whether VIA will be able to cover existing schedules, and/or add frequency.... as opposed to having to cut trains and
b) does the capacity of a trainset allow VIA to deploy enough seats wherever there is demand, thus maximising net income and market share.

The second test is my worry.

Way back, VIA’s first CEO Frank Roberts was quoted as saying that CN in its pro-passenger era erred by carrying (as I recall his numbers) 300 passengers at $100 when they could carry 100 passengers at $300 and greatly reduce their costs. That’s one of the drivers of Silver and Blue and why corridor trains west of Toronto don’t run to 10-12-14 cars any more. The problem this creates for the fleet renewal is, it’s too easy to argue that fewer seats can deliver the same revenue so fleet size can be trimmed.

I can’t shed my suspicion that Ottawa shorted VIA overall. VIa can only play the ball where it lies, and isn’t free to publicly articulate its initial proposal....I’m sure they will do their best, but I would have been happier if the new fleet had more trainsets and more seats, with VIA being given a mandate to go out and maximise its market share.

There are lots of moving parts between utilisation, single vs mixed equipment fleets, improved turnaround time, and pricing. My mantra remains: Seats, Seats, Seats

- Paul

Last edited:
That's because they don't usually label them under the headline brand. There's British Airways all business service from London City:

BA even had the Open Skies airline which operated as all business at one point. There's La Compagnie in Paris today. And there's small carriers that basically run all J services, both as independent corporate shuttles and on behalf of the majors. Privatair is an example of such a carrier. Far more common is companies running their own bizjets on regular shuttle service. In short, if there's demand, somebody will fill it.

Those don't seem to have conventional business class but ultra high end first class for those who don't to be on the same plane as the rest of the herd. The Club World London City and La Compagnie services seem to be a replacement for the Concord. We are getting pretty far from the topic of VIA though.

To be clear, I'm not suggesting that VIA would or needs to do this.

Yet you said:
Not that they would. But if demand warranted it, they absolutely should. That's how economics works. Acela in the US is an example of this. All business class service.

So you think they won't and don't need to but they should? o_O

But I would hope that if they saw the demand, they wouldn't shy away from it.

I am all in favour of matching resources to demand. I just don't see how VIA will have departures any time soon that would either have high demand for business class but so little demand for economy class that there is no point to add even 1 economy class coach, or have so much demand for business class that they can't add any economy coaches to the train because they have reached the maximum train length with just business coaches.

I can certainly see how a subfleet of 2-3 all business class trains can be used to boost business class offerings at peak, if necessary. Could even let them reduce business class seating on their other trains.

The thing is, if that subfleet can only be used during peak, they are sitting around doing nothing during other times of the day. Better to have a flexible fleet that can be used all day long, and use pricing (in both classes) to fill empty seats. I have seen trains where the cheapest business class seat is only marginally more expensive than the cheapest economy seat.

The other issue is track capacity. VIA is limited as to the number of trains they can run, so filling a timeslot with a train that only has business class means significantly longer waits for those who either can't buy business class tickets (corporate policy) or are price motivated. HFR will help significantly, but even then, with single track they will still limited to having trains operate in a pre-set frequency designed into the system, based on where the passing tracks are located.

The thing I don't understand is, what do you have against having any economy class coaches on the train you are travelling on?

Based on what? You'd have to have the kind of access that @Urban Sky has to VIA's yield management model to know whether they have too much business class seating. I trust VIA has the data and modeling to back up their fleet sizing decisions.

I will try and say it a different way to see if you can understand. It is based on what VIA says the trainset configurations they need are. If (I put it in bold for a reason) VIA receives 32 "long" trains (in other words 32 of each of the 5 different coach types), 40% (2/5) of their fleet will be business coaches. All other trainset configurations that VIA claims they want to use, require a lower percentage of business coaches (I am talking fleet utilization, not seat utilization based on what VIA says they want to do, not some pipe dream of what they could do).

TypePercent Business CoachesFraction
Extra short33.3%(1/3)
Short25.0%(1/4)
Long40.0%(2/5)
Extra long28.6%(2/7)

I see two possible resolutions (other than your explanation of VIA having a secret plan to start running trains with mostly business class on some routes).
  1. The specification of 32 "long" trains was just for the purpose of generating an RFQ, with the idea that when they were ironing out the details with the chosen supplier (Siemens), they would modify the configuration of some of those trains to better meet their needs. The cost of modifying a coach from one type to another during the design phase (before they have bought any material) would be minimal as I expect while there are fewer seats in a business coach, each one likely costs more.
  2. There was a mistake in the description of the "Extra long" (7 coach) train and it actually won't have a second Economy 1A coach (which they don't have any extras of, since they are used in every configuration) but instead has a second Business 3B coach (which isn't used in any of the short trains). That would reduce the number of seats on the train from 418 to 394, but bring the percentage of business coaches on the train up to 42.9% (3/7) and bring the percent of business seats up to 33.0%. This seems to be more reasonable and would resolve most of the issues (but not all of them, since they will have more extra Economy 1B coaches than Business 3B coaches).
It could also be a combination of both of those.

Personally, I think their business class is undersized today. Which is exactly why fares are so high. Increasing the number of business class seats should let them drop business class fares allowing them to be way more competitive with the airlines.

That could certainly be true on certain routes. Then again, there is value in keeping business class fares higher. After all, business coaches have 2/3 the seats of an economy coach, so you need to charge at least 50% more (ignoring the cost of the premium service offered) to break even.

Back