News   Apr 26, 2024
 229     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 170     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 614     0 

VIA Rail

the biggest expenses in the plan likely relate to the Don Valley and a fly-over to get over to the north side of the CP tracks to go around the Agincourt yard.

Rebuilding the Half-Mile Viaduct on the Don Branch is quite doable. The piers appear to be in good shape. The spans and decking are replaceable.

Building new bridges across the two deep valleys east of Leaside - one at Eglinton, the second east of the DVP - is simply a matter of time and money. *Lots* of money.

I haven't methodically inventoried the other bridges and underpasses between Leaside and Tapscott, but there may be additional places where bridges may have to be widened or new bridges added because CP may not be willing to share the current width with VIA.

All doable. The only issue is, it will be *lots* of money. Out of a fairly minimalist $4 Billion projected overall cost. Does the requirement fit the envelope?

- Paul

As discussed earlier in this thread, I'm curious if a change in the west to a CP routing (via Edmonton) for the Canadian, would force a connection at Calgary too? From the maps, it looks like the CP line comes almost as far south as Calgary before heading west again.

As discussed earlier in this thread, I'm curious if a change in the west to a CP routing (via Edmonton) for the Canadian, would force a connection at Calgary too? From the maps, it looks like the CP line comes almost as far south as Calgary before heading west again.

The CP mainline across western Canada goes though Regina, Calgary, and Banff. The CN mainline goes though Saskatoon, Edmonton, and Jasper. They deviate in Portage la Prairie in the east (west of Winnipeg) and converge again at Kamloops, running roughly parallel between Kamloops and Vancouver and Winnipeg and Portage.

There are connecting tracks across the prairies. Both CP and CN have freight mainlines between Calgary and Edmonton, but the CP line lost passenger service in 1990. But most other tracks in the Prairies are branch lines, with low traffic and low standards, unsuitable for passenger rail. The track between Regina and Saskatoon is in very poor shape, for example, used only to service grain elevators along the route.

I think the best bet for VIA passenger service in Calgary is a HFR-lite project for Calgary-Red Deer-Edmonton. This isn’t on VIA’s radar right now however, but if HFR is successful in the Corridor, maybe it will be.

Regardless, VIA has stated that a potential Toronto-London-Windsor HFR expansion could be a phase 2, and with Ontario HSR looking like it may be cancelled (no evidence, just gut intuition), this may be the logical replacement.

There's an apparent attempt, as far as I can deduce, that VIA is now misrepresenting how HFR is to be costed and provisioned compared to previous statements.
upload_2018-8-14_8-35-24.png
https://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/files/media/pdfs/About_VIA/HFR_Info_EN.pdf

REQUIREMENTS
VIA Rail is looking to procure a new fleet that meets the following criteria through its fleet renewal process:

9,100 passenger seats, provided by 32 bi-directional trainsets to replace the cars and locomotives in service along the Québec City-Windsor corridor.

Enhanced Universal Accessibility features for passengers with reduced mobility, including multiple accommodations for wheelchairs and other mobility devices on the trains.

More fuel-efficient, Tier 4 Diesel engines, with the option to operate on electrified rail infrastructure as it becomes available.

Capability of trainsets to operate in either direction (push-pull) to reduce the turnaround time for trains at stations in urban centres, thereby reducing operating costs.
https://www.viarail.ca/en/about-via-rail/fleet-renewal

Missing from the latest posting, at least that I can tell from digging the past few days, is the prior espoused *private partnership* where VIA (Gov't of Canada) provides the rolling stock, and the private investors provide the RoW.

So what exactly is VIA now promoting, and for how much? I sense 'Bait and Switch' is at work here for that "$4B". Don't get me wrong, I'm on record here as being one of the greatest supporters of this scheme...but "this scheme" appears to have changed radically.

I'm re-reading a lot of the press releases from a couple of years back to see exactly where this 'went off the rails'.
[...]
"Intercity passenger rail services connect cities and cover longer distances than commuter rail. Intercity passenger rail service plays a modest role in transportation across Canada, although in the Windsor– Quebec City Corridor it captures about eight percent of the travel market (by trips). The majority of VIA Rail trips are in the Toronto–Ottawa–Montreal Corridor, and they represent VIA’s core business, although VIA advised the CTA Review that operations are hampered by slow speeds and limited access to track (VIA uses CN’s track for much of this service). VIA Rail makes the case that the construction and use of a dedicated passenger rail track in this Corridor would significantly diminish the need for subsidies, at least for Corridor operations. In addition to the subsidies, which are significant, VIA also pays CN and CP for track access. This contrasts with the use of roadways and highways, where the principle of direct userpay is generally not in effect, except in limited portions (i.e. Highway 407 in Ontario – although it may be argued that drivers on roads pay indirectly for use through fuel taxes.) If it were, particularly in respect of highway transportation in the Windsor–Quebec City Corridor (the Corridor), perhaps travellers would see passenger rail as a more attractive option and ridership might increase. There is known to be significant friction between VIA Rail and CN in the Corridor. VIA Rail has requested but not yet received additional frequencies and has experienced poor ontime performance. VIA indicates that this had a negative effect on ridership between 2010 and 2014. VIA attributes the poor on-time performance to the priority accorded to freight trains over passenger trains. While research indicates that lower on-time performance may not be a reliable driver of ridership levels in the Corridor, there is inherent incompatibility between freight and passenger trains. Conventional passenger rail trains are short, light, and capable of travelling at higher speeds than freight trains. Highway congestion within the Corridor has been increasing and the time may be ripe to seek private sector investment in the infrastructure required to significantly improve this service”
https://www.viarail.ca/sites/all/fi...ny/corporate-plan/CorporatePlan_2017_2021.pdf

The interview: Via Rail head maps out his transportation vision
ERIC ATKINS (G&M)
TORONTO
PUBLISHED DECEMBER 23, 2014UPDATED MAY 12, 2018

[...]
Do you see Via owning its own infrastructure any time in the future?

That's what we're hoping to do by going to the private sector and try to sell them a business strategy to do just that.

How would that go?

In the corridor between Ottawa and Toronto, there's 19 million people there, 14 million of which are in the work force. You've got over 30 universities and technical centres, half a million students. So you have a huge population pool that could use greater mobility to get in and out of urban centres. I think there's a huge business opportunity for the private sector to capitalize on. I think the government of Canada through taxpayers' money has done enough. Today the average fare of a customer on Via Rail is 53-per-cent covered by the government with taxpayers' money, so I think that's enough of a contribution. They have provided a billion dollars for infrastructure improvements.

For all that spending, service has been reduced and ridership has fallen, why would that be appealing to the private sector?

Those are two different things. The reduction in services was to recognize where there is no market there is no point having a service. So having trains run with 12 people on them or stopping at stations for three people does not warrant having attendants 80 hours a week. Where the opportunity is though, is where there is a huge market, 19 million in the Quebec-Windsor corridor, the population who can't get in and out of those major centres by car are a huge business opportunity for private investment. And when I say private investment, I don't mean privatizing the company, I mean going to private companies to fund, to build out dedicated infrastructure for passenger rail.

So a dedicated rail line and Via would share in the revenue with the private sector? How far along is that plan?

It's just at the beginning. We're just looking at how we can improve the service. To improve the service, we have to address the issue of rail congestion. To address rail congestion, you have to have your own rail. When you get into major urban areas, you share the rail with other passenger services. So then you ask yourself, how do I build that rail infrastructure? Do I go to the government? I don't think so. I think the government has done enough. It's a huge business opportunity for the private sector.

You say the government has done enough, but they build highways and other transportation infrastructure. Why can't they run a national rail service? Why do they have to pull back or share that responsibility?

I think they do run a national rail infrastructure across the country.

But why does the government need private involvement to do so?

Because I think that where there is commercial opportunity, the private sector should be taking the business risk and reaping the commercial reward. Where there is no commercial opportunity, everything west of London going out to Vancouver or going east of Quebec City to Halifax or going north to Churchill, Man., you'll never make money. That is a government service. So the government of Canada does use taxpayers money to provide that national service, but where there is a commercial opportunity, as stewards of public money, you should make sure to capture that opportunity to limit and, even better, to reduce the funding coming from the taxpayer.
[...]
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/rep...ots-a-new-path-to-prosperity/article22194338/

Addendum: In deference to the above, VIA might feel the need to 'market' this in the way most marketing happens: By 'simplifying' the spiel, as those who need to understand this aren't the vast majority of riders. The spiel is only relevant to a few, like in this string, and investors.

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-14_8-35-24.png
    upload_2018-8-14_8-35-24.png
    192.9 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:
I wish VIA and the provinces would partner more. Each put in half to build a given project and VIA gets running rights for 30 years. Or something like that.

With Alberta, I think there's a good case to be made to go straight to low speed HSR (~200kph) right away, with this model.

That VIA corridor map shows the north-shore routing from Montreal to Quebec City starts on the CP map (well it's red ...).

Gosh, through Montreal West and Ville St. Pierre? Is that new or has the mapping shown that for a while? I guess they are surrendering the very convenient tunnel to new LRT.

RFP Professional services – Engineering Rolling stock

Engineering services for engineering and support for a variety of railway locomotive and passenger car configuration changes). The projects are to take place primarily in Montreal. The Service provider’s will take on whole projects, parts of projects or offer support to VIA engineering team.

Probably related to upgrading the Montreal Maintenance facility for the new fleet?

That VIA corridor map shows the north-shore routing from Montreal to Quebec City starts on the CP map (well it's red ...).

Gosh, through Montreal West and Ville St. Pierre? Is that new or has the mapping shown that for a while? I guess they are surrendering the very convenient tunnel to new LRT.

It is impossible to say based on this image that has been around for a while. VIA has made it clear they want to use the Mont-Royal Tunnel.

^ Translation below. So is it confirmed VIA would restore their passenger service exactly as before?

Work on the rail between Caplan and Port-Daniel-Gascons this fall

Pierre Moreau, Minister responsible for the Gaspésien region, announced that work on the portion of the railway track owned by the government since May 2015 between Caplan and Port-Daniel-Gascons will be undertaken this fall.

He also indicated that government funding of $ 12.5 million is being granted to the Gaspésie Railway Company for the operation and maintenance of the network for the next 5 years.

The Council of Ministers gave the go-ahead to immediately begin the preparation of the business case for the section between Caplan and Port-Daniel-Gascons, a step provided for by the Directive on the Management of Major Public Infrastructure Projects.

This portion will be the subject of engineering work essential to its rehabilitation in the fall, including the reconstruction of a bridge and the rehabilitation of two other bridges. A contract will also be awarded soon to proceed with the change of 20,000 sleepers on this section.

This work is in addition to those already planned between Matapédia and Caplan, which also includes the change of 20,000 sleepers and the replacement of nearly 5 kilometers of rails.

"The resumption of activities across the Gaspésie rail network will benefit the entire economy of the region. Major work on the first section between Matapédia and Caplan should begin in 2019 and follow those to Port-Daniel-Gascons. This is great news for Gaspesians, "said Minister Moreau.

In short…

The rehabilitation of the Gaspésie Railway is part of the Directive on the Management of Major Public Infrastructure Projects. An amount of $ 100 million, announced in May 2017, has been set aside to rehabilitate the entire Matapédia rail network in Gaspé.

The project is being carried out simultaneously on the following three sections: from Matapédia to Caplan (126 km) - Realization of a business case; from Caplan to Port-Daniel-Gascons (72 km) - Realization of a business case; from Port-Daniel-Gascons to Gaspé (127 km) - Realization of an opportunity file.

On the topic of a CP routing through Alberta, here's my hypothetical service maps from my musings on the topic:

Red = High-Speed Rail, Thin Blue = long-distance service, Thicker Blue = intercity service
Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 21.10.01.png

The CP routing seems better to me, hitting the larger demand centres of Medicine Hat, Calgary, Banff, Lake Louise etc. The main downside is CP itself.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 21.10.01.png
    Screen Shot 2018-08-16 at 21.10.01.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 458
^ Translation below. So is it confirmed VIA would restore their passenger service exactly as before?
Without any assumption of speaking on behalf of my employer, I refer to the following two articles:
https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/770076/via-rail-revenir-gaspesie-train-passagers
http://www.journallehavre.ca/regim-nouveau-service-de-navettes-entre-gaspe-via-rail-a-campbellton/

In terms of the service to be offered, as the service is highly interdependent from that offered by The Ocean, what timetable scenarios other than what was offered before the service was suspended do you see?

Back