News   Apr 16, 2024
 423     2 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 408     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 757     0 

UrbanToronto Redesign

Is there any chance in the future for development application links to be added to the database pages for each project? I find myself stumbling through the Toronto website trying to find a specific project, would be a nice addition.

I am not able to go to the first unread message of a thread the way I used to. Is there a way I can that I am not seeing?

I am not able to go to the first unread message of a thread the way I used to. Is there a way I can that I am not seeing?

No. It's broken. Also, when hitting a notification for a liked or quoted post, it won't go to the post in question as intended. It'll instead just go to the top of the page, defeating the point of the notification.

That sucks. I feel like that’s a pretty important feature to have, so you can catch up from where you left off in a thread previously.

Could we trim the number of pinned threads at the top of Buildings and Transportation?

There are 7 and 6 respectively, and it seems a tad cluttered.

I don't think all of them need to be there.

But I leave that that to the Mods/Management.

Thanks for the @ @khristopher! That is a good way to get our attention. I have not been, as this is mostly @Edward Skira's bailiwick, but he's just back from an extended vacation.

I can say that we have tried to get the first unread message functionality working again: I used that feature all the time, and it has annoyed me no end that the new software does not seem to support it. Our IT guy has not found a solution yet at least. I changed the way I navigate the Forum because of the issue. I now keep the Buildings Forum open, and control click on each thread, opening them in a new page, closing the page once read/responded to, then doing the same for my next unread thread. It works, but it's more work than it used to be.

Regarding the pinned threads @Northern Light, that's Ed's to sort out.

Cheers!

Thanks a lot for replying :)
A bit disheartening that the IT guy can't find a way to fix it after all this time.
What is the software you're using?

Permalinks are broken.

1. Right click on the dates and copy link
2. Paste into a new browser tab.

It only works if logged out, but not if you're logged-in.

After you load a permalink above, THEN edit one of your posts:

Copy and paste in editor on iPhones/iPads don't work properly.

Tap-and-hold to select some text in UrbanToronto editor to try to add bold/link/etc to it.

It keeps jumping back to the top.

1. On iPhone/iPad
2. Load a permalink
3. Edit one of your posts
4. Select text using standard iPad/iPhone editing tools
5. You are unable to add bold/italics/etc

Probably a related bug so fixing this will fix two birds with one stone.

We commuters use Transportation Forum on mobile devices, so if you check your Google Analytics, I bet more than 50% of visitors in the Transportation thread are visiting from mobile devices.

I can say that we have tried to get the first unread message functionality working again: I used that feature all the time, and it has annoyed me no end that the new software does not seem to support it. Our IT guy has not found a solution yet at least. I changed the way I navigate the Forum because of the issue. I now keep the Buildings Forum open, and control click on each thread, opening them in a new page, closing the page once read/responded to, then doing the same for my next unread thread. It works, but it's more work than it used to be.
@Edward Skira
Important clue! Maybe this is related to the permalink bug above.

The first-unread doesn't work in the same way that permalinks are broken (for logged-in users).

1. While logged in, right click and copy the link
2. Log out
3. Paste the link into URL bar and hit Enter
4. It works

Same for all those last-reply links, or any link that jumps to post.
They all work fine when logged out, but not when logged in.

Further analysis: race condition.

Being a programmer with over 30 years experience (currently JavaScript, C, C++, C#, .NET, Java, etc), I notice code runs afterwards if I'm already logged on. Occasionally the order of execution swaps and it stays correct.

The two scenarios are happening:
(1) It jumps to correct location then jumps back to top.
(2) It jumps to correct location then stays there.

I am able to make software execution occur in a different sequence by intentionally slowing down Google Chrome as follows:
1. Open Developer Tools

2. Click Console tab followed by device toolbar button

3. Select "Low End Mobile" to emulate loading website on a slow laptop (keep everything else at default, "Responsive" and full resolution)

4. The race condition more erratically disappears (Code X executes before Code Y, and bug disappears, permalinks work properly even when logged in).

Also frequency/odds behaviours seem to vary if you reload, if you re-click, or if you paste into new tab, but those aren't reliable indicators.

I don't have time to do anymore volunteer debugging this week, but hopefully this gets your web programmer closer to a solution. Seems to feel like a race condition of some kind. Maybe some kind of "Go to top of page" behavior running, fighting against "Jump to this section" behavior in code execution sequence.

Hopefully this is not a hardcoded behaviour of a toolkit, and is an easy fix on a hard-to-find bug. Maybe someone else could do a deeper debug trace.

Last edited:

Back