News   Jul 04, 2024
 863     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 710     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 613     1 

University Avenue - Toronto's Grand Avenue?

With all due respect, I am so tired of your ubiquitous "XXX works fine the way it is" comments when obviously much can be done to improve them.

University Ave works fine the way it is
Bay st works fine the way it is
Chinatown works fine the way it is
Waterfront works fine the way it is
Church/Wellesley village works fine the way it is
High Park works fine the way it is
Toronto Islands work fine the way it is

You think they work fine the way it is, only because you have seen them for decades and are used to them. Doesn't mean they are good, or nice or appealing to either residents or visitors. It is like a mother always thinks her son is the perfect kid in the world but in reality it is just a mediocre child needing much improvement.

If bleuenciaga ever became a city planner I could picture a mass exodus of Torontonians shortly thereafter

sMT:

Let's just say one of the first things you learn is working with multiple interests - including those with views divergent from your own.

AoD

University Avenue isn't fine. It's supposed to be a grand boulevard, but its landscaped median is dysfunctional as a public space. It's disjointed and cramped. The median doesn't draw a lot of people or interest to the monuments that it contains. The sidewalks are sterile concrete with trees that never seem to grow large in those concrete planters. Cafes and restaurants have apparently not been encouraged. The vista of Queen's Park is under threat by a development proposal. It needs a lot of intention.

If bleuenciaga ever became a city planner I could picture a mass exodus of Torontonians shortly thereafter

Though it bleu does happen to be the latest incarnation of you-know-who, I'm suddenly remembering this demonstration of where his taste lies...

too much glass is making Toronto cheap looking.
Take a look at the Waterfront when all the buildings are completed, you would wonder if it is Asia or North America. Why aren't more Fairmont Hotel kind of buildings? These are the style we need.

With all due respect, I am so tired of your ubiquitous "XXX works fine the way it is" comments when obviously much can be done to improve them.

University Ave works fine the way it is
Bay st works fine the way it is
Chinatown works fine the way it is
Waterfront works fine the way it is
Church/Wellesley village works fine the way it is
High Park works fine the way it is
Toronto Islands work fine the way it is

You think they work fine the way it is, only because you have seen them for decades and are used to them. Doesn't mean they are good, or nice or appealing to either residents or visitors. It is like a mother always thinks her son is the perfect kid in the world but in reality it is just a mediocre child needing much improvement.

I've supported the status quo on a couple of areas listed above, others I've commented on but never said "works fine the way it is" on most (i.e. Bay Street, High Park, Waterfront (!)) but I get your point, I do get stuck or nostalgic for the past sometimes and resist change with what I like or think works well. Admittedly, AoD nails problems with University Ave. well, there could indeed be some improvements as noted and I like ambitious ideas but I shudder at the cost for upgrading a boulevard where people pretty much disappear after 7pm (save for around Queen St.) and I just don't see that changing.

but I shudder at the cost for upgrading a boulevard where people pretty much disappear after 7pm (save for around Queen St.) and I just don't see that changing.

People disappear because there is absolutely nothing to do on University Ave.
As the widest boulevard in the city, this is pretty pathetic. Street life should be brought to University Ave, then again you might say "I don't want University to be another Yonge or Queen. I like the way it is....".

I'm not sure I see the problem. How many Londoners are hanging out along the Mall after hours?

University is a hub for hospitals and institutions, with a somewhat grand ceremonial vibe leading as it does to Queen's Park. There are plenty of other thoroughfares in Toronto that are given over to commercial activities. Again, not that I think this necessarily precludes a café here or there as I'm sure this would be appreciated by many visiting the various institutions in the area, but that the real issue here is the condition/state of repair of what is supposedly our 'grand' avenue. In a city where beauty is gravy or where beauty is politicized as socially irresponsible we can't be shocked that University languishes, fountain and all.

Does anyone have any update on the Queen/University fountain? Is it near completion?
That work has been going on forever.

Does anyone have any update on the Queen/University fountain? Is it near completion?
That work has been going on forever.

I happened to walk by there at lunch. It does not look near completion. I looks like they have poured a new concrete basis for the pool and fountains, but no progress beyond that. They are there working though.

University Avenue is also the only major thoroughfare in Toronto that prohibits billboards advertising products and services from businesses.

That's really interesting. Would be great if that could be expanded to other parts of the city.

I subscribe to the philosophy that it is OK for a large city to have different kinds of areas with different emphasis and function. There can be over-arching principles set but I feel some people, in the name of sound planning concepts, want to beat every inch of the city with the same stick. I question if this concept isn't just like the 2.0 version of those people in the past who tried to pave over the city with highways and garden city projects?

Maybe University Avenue is and should be a traffic sewer lined with institutional buildings. Maybe we should soften it up. Maybe we should foster more 24hr activity (why our hospitals aren't 100% 24hr is beyond me). But maybe it shouldn't be a 24hr mixed use community?

I happened to walk by there at lunch. It does not look near completion. I looks like they have poured a new concrete basis for the pool and fountains, but no progress beyond that. They are there working though.

They're timing it to be complete for the PanAm Games.....

The base of the equestrian statue at Queen's Park (just north of the provincial legislature) looks to have been fenced off, partially re-built and then abandoned for the better part of the last month. Every time I pass by there is no sign of further progress.

They're timing it to be complete for the PanAm Games.....

Back