News   Jul 04, 2024
 945     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 750     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 623     1 

University Avenue - Toronto's Grand Avenue?

Just get on with it and pave it over already. The Toronto way then they won't have to worry about taking care of it since they do a piss poor job of taking care of so many of this city's public spaces!

University is arguably Canada's only true "Grande" street. There are many nice streets in Canada but only one wide blvd like University. It is for this reason that I have always been bewildered about why the city has taken advantage of it. It has never lived up to it's potential and the city has never really taken care or enhanced it.

I think an error was made a long time ago, when they should have dedicated the street to large retail, instead of hospitals, etc...

University Avenue with large department stores and high end retail would have been incredible imo..

Still, it's a pretty fine street, probably the best we have...

RE: fountains; site is hoarded up and crews are cleaning up the site. By crews, I mean 2-3 people.

I think an error was made a long time ago, when they should have dedicated the street to large retail, instead of hospitals, etc...

University Avenue with large department stores and high end retail would have been incredible imo..

Still, it's a pretty fine street, probably the best we have...

Yes, Imagine a University Ave lined with the Bay, Holt Renfrew, Sears Canada, Macy's, Norstrom, plus some big name chain stores, maybe a beautiful apple store, nice restaurants with patios in the summer, even some music performance. It will be such a good complement to Yonge st, which is mostly small retail.

Instead we have grand boulevard with hospitals and insurance companies. Is there any other city in the world which dumps 5 or 6 large hospital together?

Instead we have grand boulevard with hospitals and insurance companies. Is there any other city in the world which dumps 5 or 6 large hospital together?

Yeah, you can find "hospital precincts" elsewhere. Functionally speaking, it's quite useful.

I think shangri la will change all that, at least in that little block. Almost 5 restaurants, the opera house. It's gonna get more lively I'm sure.

Seamist:

Is there any other city in the world which dumps 5 or 6 large hospital together?

Actually, it is a very, very common practice (see Cleveland, Houston, Boston, etc. - besides, the intent of University Avenue has always been of a more institutional nature - between the U of T campus, Hydro buildings (OPG/Hydro One and what is now the PMH site), government offices, hospitals, courts, Osgoode Hall, Opera House, etc.

AoD

RE: fountains; site is hoarded up and crews are cleaning up the site. By crews, I mean 2-3 people.

Zippin' right along! Taken Aug. 23rd.

Well according to some posters in the 2024 Olympics thread the games wouldn't result in any worthwhile legacies so let's not count our chickens... maybe they could turn the fountain into the world's smallest velodrome to save building a normal one?

When I was by there last Thursday the only change in three weeks was the man working on it had torn out the circular concrete pieces leaving three holes.

The concentration of hospitals on university is a strategic asset for the city in a way that a cluster of retail stores would not be.

Back