News   Jul 25, 2024
 368     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 533     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 457     0 

University Avenue - Toronto's Grand Avenue?

I agree. I don't know why Toronto would need yet another retail strip. University is unique and has its own attributes.

It doesn't have to be retail-focused, but perhaps a linear park with pavilions that could have some restaurants and strategically placed retail would utilize the space better, producing something not at odds with the street's ceremonial character, but better utilized and more vibrant. University Avenue could be leisurely ceremonial.

Definitely agree with Tewder and junctionist. IMO the hospital frontage also holds potential for that kind of targeted use - the goal should be to get people to linger.

AoD

It doesn't have to be retail-focused, but perhaps a linear park with pavilions that could have some restaurants and strategically placed retail would utilize the space better, producing something not at odds with the street's ceremonial character, but better utilized and more vibrant. University Avenue could be leisurely ceremonial.

I agree. Turning either the northbound or southbound lanes into a linear park, maybe with a decent bike lane and a couple of restaurants or cafes in their own pavilions, would create a wonderful space. Maybe the northbound lanes since Mt Sinai emerg has an ambulance entrance at the southbound lanes. There would be enough space remaining for two car traffic lanes in either direction on the other side.

I'm walking by the place almost daily. I haven't seen a single worker or ANY progress in the past few months. Not surprised.

I saw some workers on site today. They set up a tent for weather protection. At first, I thought it's a mirage, but then I realized it's real. I wonder if those are the same workers from the NPS stage site. All of a sudden there is not even one worker there (visible progress on the stage: 98%).
Don't think I've ever seen work going on simultaneously on both the stage and the University fountains.

Are city works actually doing anything at NPS, I thought it was tendered out ?

good idea. We should reduce it to four lanes and use the extra space to create a linear park.
take a look at Commonwealth Ave in Boston, and we should know the "grand" University ave is not grand after all. The buildings are too short for the avenue's width, no retail, no good green space/seating. There is hardly any statute/momument to see.

Won't happen. People always say "XXX st is fine the way it is." RIGHT.

University Avenue works fine the way it is. There's no retail coming so why waste money that is badly needed elsewhere by spending millions on what already works as best as it can along this corridor - wide tree-lined sidewalks, a mile of green space down the middle of the street with plenty of trees, beautiful perennial gardens, monuments that lead up to Queen's Park, wide boulevards, interesting architecture - it all works. Why do we have to be like other places? University Avenue is unique and there's no other street like it in the city.

I don't think many are arguing a move away from having a landscaped University Avenue - the issue, at least from my perspective, is the quality of said landscaping. The trees (esp. along either side) are anemic, paving sterile, landscaping along the median haphazard, degraded and often broken. Why should it stay in this state? And if improved, why shouldn't every attempt be made to increase its' enjoyment by others, by judicious addition of uses along the way? We don't have that many grand ceremonial routes in the city, much less one of such significance - it is in the interest of everyone to improve it and increase usage in a city with limited green space.

AoD

I can see both points of view. I like what University Avenue is, fundamentally. It is unique in Toronto and why change it to be like any other major thoroughfare in Toronto? That said, there is still lots of potential for upgrading and improvement... and would a café or two be so bad? I'm thinking of some of the more formal/institutional areas along the Champs Elysées in Paris (the café LeNotre near the Grand Palais for example). Touristy yes but a pleasant setting to for a tea or to while away some time.

University Avenue works fine the way it is.

With all due respect, I am so tired of your ubiquitous "XXX works fine the way it is" comments when obviously much can be done to improve them.

University Ave works fine the way it is
Bay st works fine the way it is
Chinatown works fine the way it is
Waterfront works fine the way it is
Church/Wellesley village works fine the way it is
High Park works fine the way it is
Toronto Islands work fine the way it is

You think they work fine the way it is, only because you have seen them for decades and are used to them. Doesn't mean they are good, or nice or appealing to either residents or visitors. It is like a mother always thinks her son is the perfect kid in the world but in reality it is just a mediocre child needing much improvement.

I can see both points of view. I like what University Avenue is, fundamentally. It is unique in Toronto and why change it to be like any other major thoroughfare in Toronto? That said, there is still lots of potential for upgrading and improvement... and would a café or two be so bad? I'm thinking of some of the more formal/institutional areas along the Champs Elysées in Paris (the café LeNotre near the Grand Palais for example). Touristy yes but a pleasant setting to for a tea or to while away some time.

good idea. What's wrong with being touristy? It brings revenue and jobs and makes the city more beautiful. Current University Ave is just boring.
yet they will say we don't want to be Paris. "We just want to be Toronto", that kind of absolute nonsense.
Cities learn from each other's success. This "we don't want to be New York/Paris" way of thinking is so so laughable. Plus, there is no way Toronto will ever be like Manhattan or Paris.

Back